A future on Laythe

earthlight

Awesome digital paint job, this picture looks really good :)

Thank you! I was worried it looked too industrial, but I also wanted to reflect the functional, unburnished aesthetic the Kerbal ships employed. As ever though, it's up to the audience whether or not I succeeded.

Wow! This looks really cool, nice work!

Approved and endorsed! The shadow on the clouds to the left has me a bit confused though

I think those are smoke trails from the colony. You can see some sort of industrial buildings in the distance, right where the little smoke comes from.

It looks like Jeb, Bob and Bill made the KSC's first Laythe landing, only to discover that there is a industrial civilisation thriving on it. Or that the first Laythe lander is now a landmark for the colony.

Edited by LeonG17

Approved and endorsed! The shadow on the clouds to the left has me a bit confused though

I always consider it a screw-up on my part when something doesn't come through right. It is meant to be a super tall radio-like tower that penetrates the low clouds, thereby casting a shadow. To my mind it's a launch platform or a tether station for a space elevator. As with all things though, it's up for interpretation.

I always consider it a screw-up on my part when something doesn't come through right. It is meant to be a super tall radio-like tower that penetrates the low clouds, thereby casting a shadow. To my mind it's a launch platform or a tether station for a space elevator. As with all things though, it's up for interpretation.

Don't worry, we all screw up with something. It's what makes us Kerbals :D

Don't worry, we all screw up with something. It's what makes us Kerbals :D

This is very true. If nothing else, KSP teaches us to calibrate our threshold of failure, because even when things go horribly wrong we learn something.

That looks great! :D Do you have any plans for more colony art, either on Laythe or elsewhere?

I'd love to! I need to gather more experience with the actual game to draw from, but space exploration has always been something I've aspired to depict in my drawings. I want to do some portraits of the characters as well, as I love drawing combat armor and space suits, and I have some half-formulated ideas about vintage-looking black-and-white drawings with a sort of 1960's NASA style, assuming I can fit the requisite sideburns into a 1920x1080 image.

Edited by earthlight

To my mind it's a launch platform or a tether station for a space elevator. As with all things though, it's up for interpretation.

I'd go with the former, Laythe's geo-synch altitude lies outside it's SOI. But don't let my technical nitpicking stop you, it's rare to see art this good around here (although engineering can produce some mighty fine art of it's own).

I absolutely DEMAND that you continue this sort of work.

On that note, which program did you use to paint it?

I'd go with the former, Laythe's geo-synch altitude lies outside it's SOI. But don't let my technical nitpicking stop you, it's rare to see art this good around here (although engineering can produce some mighty fine art of it's own).

I absolutely DEMAND that you continue this sort of work.

On that note, which program did you use to paint it?

To my mind, KSP is a game tailor-made for nitpickers and perfectionists, so I have no problem with it. That said, the ethos of this game would have them try it anyway, even knowing it's impossible, so it could be a space tether with a snapped mast. Anyways that's very high praise coming from a popular artist here so thank you sincerely, I'm actually working on something new right now.

Everything I've ever actually finished has been done in photoshop. I spend an inordinate amount of time tinkering with programs like artrage and painter, but none of them have ever proven as flexible. For example, I use the photo filters, color correction, the levels editor, and curves constantly when merging down new effects layers, because it can provide both uniform and non-uniform colors which I think can add a lot to an image. A lot of the softer grading is accomplished with feathered ellipse overlays and layer effects, meaning I'm utterly helpless without it. The only thing that's actually harder in photoshop is clean inking, but I rarely do that.

What program do you use? There's no way I could make this with paint.

Photoshop from start to finish. I talk a little bit about technique a few posts above, though like most people who draw, I cannot certify that my methods would be effective.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.