Caterpillar Tracks- NOW OPEN SOURCE, ALL FILES OPEN TO PUBLIC

A teeny tiny update, for teeny tiny tracks. For reference, that cylinder between the tracks is 0.5m

It should also be noted that unlike the giant tracks, these are one-sided tracks.

b5b5c6e6075991c08f6e9f99b157ac99.png

81e40dc74e523a2684da67abad7f9123.png

Edited by electronicfox

Efox, you say these are unbreakable, Challenge accepted!! These updates are going to cost me a new keyboard due to all the drool. Looks most excellent.

I say unbreakable...I mean not breakable in the way the stock wheels are :sticktongue: they will still spontaneously disassemble upon striking a hard object at great speed.

The tracks are too black. I think it will be problematic to see them in the game. It can get quite dark and even in lamp light black will be black.

Remember: We perceive black because we can't perceive black.

Nevertheless I really like what you do.

The tracks are too black. I think it will be problematic to see them in the game. It can get quite dark and even in lamp light black will be black.

Remember: We perceive black because we can't perceive black.

Nevertheless I really like what you do.

Are you referring to the newest small tracks, or both new sets? If the former, they havent been textured properly yet (they just have a normal map on), if the latter, I'll keep this in mind.

I mean both sets.

Have a look at that:

http://i.gyazo.com/c7e18ef37bbfda3e084c18b7a8d58bd0.png

I can't distinguish the chain links in the lower half. This shouldn't happen in broad daylight.

Maybe dark grey or 50% grey is the color to go.

This is a very valid observation, thanks for that. I'll be giving them tracks a bit of a recolour, and keep this in mind for the future set too.

Since I don't yet have those new platforms to mess about with, I decided to duct tape my own platform together to test if the tracks would place nicely with each other in such a build:

cNAHohK.png?2

B1jWYtxl.png

Right... so, toggles for disabling/inverting individual treads. Need to get on that.

At least the plugin is getting closer to being suitable for public consumption. Basic movement works for single and dual tracks, but there are still some random bugs to work out.

I think I have to make one comment on the new large tracks - the level of detail does not seem to increase as much as its size. That makes them look a bit like inflated smaller tracks, if you get what I mean. Maybe some more intricate details would convey the size better, without adding too much polygons and such. A little detail in the right places does a lot.

Just a minor quibble :)

It should also be noted that unlike the giant tracks, these are one-sided tracks.

I like that!

Edited by Camacha

I think I have to make one comment on the new large tracks - the level of detail does not seem to increase as much as its size. That makes them look a bit like inflated smaller tracks, if you get what I mean. Maybe some more intricate details would convey the size better, without adding too much polygons and such. A little detail in the right places does a lot.

Just a minor quibble :)

I like that!

'nother good comment (I do welcome comments that also help make these look prettier). Little details arent my strong point, I often overlook them.

A teeny tiny update, for teeny tiny tracks. For reference, that cylinder between the tracks is 0.5m

http://i.gyazo.com/b5b5c6e6075991c08f6e9f99b157ac99.png

http://i.gyazo.com/81e40dc74e523a2684da67abad7f9123.png

I am curious what you mean by 'one sided'. Are you referring to the fact that you have to use two of them in unison or is it something else?

I am curious what you mean by 'one sided'. Are you referring to the fact that you have to use two of them in unison or is it something else?

The largest set of tracks contains both left and right reads, so these can balance without the aid of extra sets of tracks. The smaller set only has one tread, so you'll need to use symmetry in the spaceplace hangar, or some other wheels on the other side of the vehicle you attach them to.

The largest set of tracks contains both left and right reads, so these can balance without the aid of extra sets of tracks. The smaller set only has one tread, so you'll need to use symmetry in the spaceplace hangar, or some other wheels on the other side of the vehicle you attach them to.

ALright. I thought that was what you meant but wanted to make sure. :) Any idea of an eta on this mod? I LOVED the old version and can't wait for these new ones~

ALright. I thought that was what you meant but wanted to make sure. :) Any idea of an eta on this mod? I LOVED the old version and can't wait for these new ones~

I cant give an ETA, mainly because I dont really know myself. But also, because if I gave one and missed it for any reason, we all know how that kinda stuff goes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.