Caterpillar Tracks- NOW OPEN SOURCE, ALL FILES OPEN TO PUBLIC

So now I have some good news, and some good(er) news.

Good news: 6.forty has made some great progress on the new plugin. Most of the features are there, but not all (The most notable being the suspension).

Good(er) news: I am now looking for some testers. There are however some minor preferences for testing, so read those before you apply.

--You must understand that you cannot become a tester simply for the sake of getting the new plugin early (thats right, only the plugin is new. You'll be testing with the older tracks).

--Understand that these are not complete, they are completely unbalanced and do not have some of the functions yet.

--If you can prove yourself to be a reputable tester, please do so (This would include any references/links etc).

--You should know how to edit cfg's.

--Your mission is to break these things. Fly them, crash them, make huge monsters with them, throw them at Jool, feed them to the space kraken.

--report any (undocumented) bugs you find, to me. I'll then pass them to 6.forty if theyre plugin related, and to myself if theyre visual.

You'll get a thanks in the release thread (and maybe a virtual cookie).

If you wanna be a tester, message me here on the forums. Keep in mind though that testing positions are very limited (keeping it a low number).

- (1 and 2)i understand and fully comply with these rules/regulations.

-i've helped people in the past with simple config edits and the like (B9 with the animation bug for the H-50 landing legs and the old version of this trying to figure out how to get the tracks moving via messing around with torque curves)

-Woot! i wouldn't mind bashing them into kerbin for you ^.^

-ok gotcha reporting back if need be.

also instead of a cookie could i get rep? cookies are bad for me :P

Psh, it's not like I even had time to test these, even if I ever wanted to grumble grumble

only kidding, I can't wait for this to be released

same here... ican't wait to get the big crawler thingy so ican have mobile bases AND mobile nuclear defenc systems.

Ah... well i just shot myself in the foot there didn't i?

"no i'm not making an obivous fact that i may be a tester no no no no no... ...maybe?"

I will not name the testers here, but they are free to out themselves should they wish to do so, under the warning that they will likely get massages from random other players asking for the test packs. I ask that non-testing players do not do this, but I also know that due to the nature of the internet, there will still be a fair few that will want to ask for the test pack download.

I will not name the testers here, but they are free to out themselves should they wish to do so, under the warning that they will likely get massages from random other players asking for the test packs. I ask that non-testing players do not do this, but I also know that due to the nature of the internet, there will still be a fair few that will want to ask for the test pack download.

sorry for being immature electronicfox. this is something i agree on. anyone who askes me (yes i AM a tester) is getting blocked but will get rep with "at least you had the ba*ls to do it" as a comment

also how do i do imgur albums? anyone know?

uhm bad pun. here's some pics of what i'm doing with them... so far

Javascript is disabled. View full album

and... i also got carried away and scaled a mountain. you'll see some of the kinks so far aswell (like sinking tracks etc) also it's DAMN FAST (100m/s before i reach the end of the runway. will get on to fixing this now... trying to get the treads to the right length)

Edited by AntiMatter001

I don't know for sure what config you're using, but it sounds like the config is way off what it probably should be if you're hitting that speed. If you can swerve side to side with no forward throttle and still gain speed, RollingResistance is too small or your torque curve is much too strong.

I don't know for sure what config you're using, but it sounds like the config is way off what it probably should be if you're hitting that speed. If you can swerve side to side with no forward throttle and still gain speed, RollingResistance is too small or your torque curve is much too strong.

no i fixed that already (i had just played with the tracks as is without messing around to see if i could see any bugs with a direct install) by looking at the old configs and putting their torque curve values in it. seems to work like real tracks now...

also 6.forty thanks alot for updating the .dll this mod needs to be in ksp and ilove it!

Edited by AntiMatter001

uhm bad pun. here's some pics of what i'm doing with them... so far

http://imgur.com/a/Xs4Gw#0

and... i also got carried away and scaled a mountain. you'll see some of the kinks so far aswell (like sinking tracks etc) also it's DAMN FAST (100m/s before i reach the end of the runway. will get on to fixing this now... trying to get the treads to the right length)

http://imgur.com/a/WF7js#0

What mod does the tank turret come from?

* is sad he didnt get the chance to do B-36 style landing gear with treads*

The current tests are only to test the plugin, this does not mean new parts arent in development, or being thought of/designed (I wont say whats on the cards *COUGH* deployables *COUGH-COUGH* full axle-bases *COUGH* Various size rocker-bogie systems *couaagggghrrrr*...finally got that cough out, nasty one that was).

I think some of the people who didn't get chosen...

*Puts on sunglasses*

Might get a bit testy.

ElectronicFox: How long is this testing going to last?

I dont like putting up a schedule or specific dates, since dates are all too often missed and everyone has other obligations. BUT, I will say I hope to have this release-worthy within the next week or two, depending on how major any found bugs may be.

found a bug that's common with all the tracks in some way... huh... and also i flipped up the big mole tracks because i didn't know what i was doing until 5 mins ago. allfixed now. here's some pretty pictures!

as you can see here are gaps between some tracks or some axles are going through where they're supposed to end...other than this i can't find anything wrong with them so far. need to sleep though soi might post more bugs tomorrow

oh forgot to mention are either you (electronicfox) or 6.forty getting the "Trackwidth" pop up when you right click the tracks in the SPH/VAB? it might be one of my mods allowing me to do that if that menu isn't normal.

Edited by AntiMatter001

found a bug that's common with all the tracks in some way... huh... and also i flipped up the big mole tracks because i didn't know what i was doing until 5 mins ago. allfixed now. here's some pretty pictures!

http://imgur.com/a/atqKA#4

as you can see here are gaps between some tracks or some axles are going through where they're supposed to end...other than this i can't find anything wrong with them so far. need to sleep though soi might post more bugs tomorrow

oh forgot to mention are either you (electronicfox) or 6.forty getting the "Trackwidth" pop up when you right click the tracks in the SPH/VAB? it might be one of my mods allowing me to do that if that menu isn't normal.

The issues shown here are from an incomplete part of the plugin (the beginnings of procedural tracks). The trackwidth seems to stem from the pivot-points of the track meshes, which currently arent set properly to allow for this function.

The issues shown here are from an incomplete part of the plugin (the beginnings of procedural tracks). The trackwidth seems to stem from the pivot-points of the track meshes, which currently arent set properly to allow for this function.

so basicly ignore this minor hilarity and just continue trying to find bugs? got it.

oh now that i think about it the small and tiny tracks go backwards when you push forwards... i tested this with the same rover and probe body seen above and other probes just to see if it was just me but it isn't the smalland tiny tracks go backwards when pushing forwards

Edited by AntiMatter001

Yeah I actually thought I had removed the width settings for that reason.

As for the inverted controls, are you placing the tracks from the left side or right side of the craft?

Edited by 6.forty

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.