Caterpillar Tracks- NOW OPEN SOURCE, ALL FILES OPEN TO PUBLIC

I am allowed to discuss. The game is Overruled by Dlala Studio (google them to find their blog/twitter/facebook). Kind of an indie arcadey multiplayer brawler with some nice mechanics involved, being published by Team 17 (which I am rather excited about). Theres not much media on it yet, but it will be getting its press-release very soon.

Wow, googled it and it sounds amazing!

Wow, googled it and it sounds amazing!

Thanks :D its my first proper venture as a freelance games artist, and its going rather well. Fully enjoying this role. Its already been accepted as a release on Steam too, which is also rather neat. All the exposure!

I know you have a real life and that's pretty much reason I am asking. Can you re-release the test version with the understanding that there could be some very troublesome bugs?

I will consider this, although they are VERY prone to bugs that make them unplayable right now. I'll probably end up leaving these as a open-sourced mod, open for anyone to edit and update however they see fit. Some talented modellers and coders with some more free time on their hands might come around to finish this off.

I've been tempted to delve into a mod project... More experience modelling than coding, but I probably know enough to get me started. Mind if I take a look, see if I can help out?

Hi. i was and still am (hopefully) a beta tester in this mod and to give you an idea f how bug prone it is lets just say my tracked vehicle went through the ground, through kerbin, proceeded to just keep going down until it hit something and exploded. due to the meny mods i have and the likelyhood of compatibility problems i'm more intrested in the fact vsome of the textures don't appear to be working. (smearing and such) also the huge mark (5/6?) tracks just clip through the ground :/ i haven't found a fix yet but will keep testing! (if my gme didn't crash every 10 or so missions.)

anyway on a good news everyone! note i did have an idea which could replace or back up procedral tracks which is the tweak scale plugin. lots of mods are using it now (IR and goodspeed and a couple others) to reduce part clutter and also to make things bigger. it could be used to make the triangle tracks bigger so people would get that "terminator tank" (think it's called search and destroy tank idk) feel.

anyway just me blathering on :P i'll get back to you if i've made any progress at all.

Welp I am awaiting word on these tracks as I have a build in mind and they need the tracks to make it work. I plan to remake a MLRS Kerban style but I need tracks for it. I might be able to do the NEW wheeled version but I worked on and like the older tracked system better.

I hope that the bugs are soon raided and killed quickly and no more bugs rear there ugly heads so this can be released Soonâ„¢.

*MLRS = Multiply Launch Missile System

mlrs1.jpg

I will consider this, although they are VERY prone to bugs that make them unplayable right now. I'll probably end up leaving these as a open-sourced mod, open for anyone to edit and update however they see fit. Some talented modellers and coders with some more free time on their hands might come around to finish this off.

Please make that happen

I am still planning to release this as an unfinished, open source mod. Just waiting on one variable. The mod will belong to everyone, you can fix it, tear it apart, reverse engineer it or just have it sit in your hard drive like a small space-wasting trophy.

IF I release it, I will do so with some of the original track models (including their rigs) as FBX files, the plugin files as they are right now, and a sample Unity scene containing a set of tracks all set up and ready to go. This should help people figure out whats going on in there. This is all because both 6.forty and I are currently too busy to put any real work into this, and I hate to see it die away again.

I do hope someone will pick it up and take off were you two have left off. I understand that life sometimes get in the way of things that you wish to do as it has happened to me also. Thanks for attempting to take over and fix it. And thanks for releasing the mod as is for others to try and get working.

Also waiting for this mod. Right now, it works, but it's really slow on KSP 0.23.5. Buggy. Takes a while for the wheels to spin up. Also, I can't go in reverse with the tracks.

that looks like you messed with the troque curve and messed up somewhere... usually when i messed with it i multiplied everything by 10 and got em to work.... really fast (1000 m/s on land(crashed my game))but they could go backwards.

I am still planning to release this as an unfinished, open source mod. Just waiting on one variable. The mod will belong to everyone, you can fix it, tear it apart, reverse engineer it or just have it sit in your hard drive like a small space-wasting trophy.

IF I release it, I will do so with some of the original track models (including their rigs) as FBX files, the plugin files as they are right now, and a sample Unity scene containing a set of tracks all set up and ready to go. This should help people figure out whats going on in there. This is all because both 6.forty and I are currently too busy to put any real work into this, and I hate to see it die away again.

Please, please, please! :) Just in the process of finishing up a wheel pack for release, so pretty confident I can pick this up.

I still hope that squad makes the ramp leading up to the launch pad longer. It's at too steep of an angle to use with the crawler as-is. Seems like if you launched a Saturn-V, it would topple before it made it to launch. (or realistically, when you move it from launch pad to front of VAB to move it back to make it look realistic. (also wish you could start in the VAB or the Hangar with the doors open, or clickable so you can open them and taxi to runway or roll to launch pad.)

Good news, I have all the stuff and permissions I need to hand this over to all you folk. Over the next day or two I'll be uploading all the files I mentioned before and linking them to this thread, most likely this evening (and by this evening I mean between 6-9pm GMT). I look forward to seeing how these go in your hands.

Good news, I have all the stuff and permissions I need to hand this over to all you folk. Over the next day or two I'll be uploading all the files I mentioned before and linking them to this thread, most likely this evening (and by this evening I mean between 6-9pm GMT). I look forward to seeing how these go in your hands.

Ok so read that post like this 11111111.jpg

The models and textures are being uploaded as I type this.

They will include:

Old mole tracks & texture

Old 2-sided tracks & texture

New crawler tracks & texture

New crawler platform parts & texture (all these parts are in a single fbx file, so you'll need to manually separate them, dont worry I made it easy enough to do so).

One Unity package containing a scene with the new crawler tracks set up and ready to export.

These files, coupled with 6.fortys work should help you all to figure out whats going on in there.

Now I've finished typing, the files are all uploaded and good to go, here is the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2IpC_cEdLQhWGtpT1owLWhlb0k/edit?usp=sharing

It's sad it have to end this way :sealed: hope someone will take over and finish it/improve it. Thanks both for your work 6.forty & electronicfox.

But it's better than just left it unfinished forever.

I wouldnt say its ending (hopefully), just being given some new life. Since its now open for the entire KSP userbase to work on, I'm sure something good will come out of it. There are many skilled coders and artists here.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.