KSP Music not unique?

Cynikal

I could of sworn that KSP hired someone to make the music for the game...

I was looking at some videos on YouTube, and found a video for a car guage from Greddy...

The music is... the exact same as the VAB.

The Nostalgia Critic also used the outer-space soundtrack it in his recent review of AI:

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/39374-nostalgia-critic-ai

(first time used at 3:40)

Most of the KSP soundtrack is CC-BY licensed music from http://incompetech.com

By the way: There is a button "Credits" on the start screen ;)

Edited by Crush

One of the tracks (that plays during orbit) is part of the Lazy Newb Pack's soundsense soundtrack for Dwarf Fortress. It's definitely not unique (in the sense that it wasn't purpose-composed for KSP), but it all feels pretty appropriate for the game.

I was listening to HarvesteR playing the main theme in his piano...

...and I realized, in this tempo that HarvesteR chose, it has shades (I'm not saying they are the same, but only shades of) of Smashing Pumpkin's "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness"

• 2 months later...

The KSP theme is unique to KSP (unless some other game has stolen it).

The other tracks are not. I found that out whilst playing Dwarf Fortress with soundsense running.

That's to be expected though. Squad are a small development team and put work into the game mechanics rather than the music. Perhaps we'll see hear some more unique music in the future.

• 1 year later...

I totally noticed the Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness thing too. I've noticed a few space themed games I have downloaded on Android also use EXACTLY the same music as KSP. I thought there was gonna be some sort of law suit! Haha

(After posting this the dates on peoples posts have changed by 1 year, and the individual post I was referring to has disappeared. Sorry for necro-ing a thread. I think this site has issues, possibly with Chrome.)

Edited by jdh1993

• 1 year later...

I still think they should use Kevin Macleods track "At Rest"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGv4CHx38OY

As it really focuses the mind on the terrible fate that awaits your crafts crew..

a new rocket with inspired happy crew at peace within themselves to the challenge before them..

under the lesser capable eyes of the kerbal KSC.. theres a good chance their first flight .. becomes their last... as your craft slowly takes shape, she either becomes a wonderful machine full of achievement and glory... or a once rocket.. perhaps spaceplane shaped machine that cut short the lives of her crew... screaming and squirming in their seats knowing theres not much they can actually do... other than wait for the orange glow to envelop their viewing ports shortly before they goto the big KSC in the sky...

Similar to trains, in my case.. I play this as a new class number takes shape in the SPH, each and every locomotive built with the care and love of her former classmate fallen before... a shiny new class number one number higher, brilliant bright headlights shine and a loud horn announces her presence to all of kerbin.. detriot engines cough and bark loudly to life.. leaving a dark cloud of smoke that slowly disapears in the air above.. a new train with the lives of her new crew sets out to conquer the great expanse that is kerbin....

sadly like many before, with the odds against them.. its more than likely the above acts as little more than a blip in the history of the great KTP... and much like her class mates and fellow crewmembers before them.. the locomotive, her train and crew.. ends up as scattered debris strewn over the green unforgiving landscape.. with the hopes and dreams lost once more

(Written while playing this music, it has the capacity to bring a very....respectful.. somber yet creative drive to what would once be an artificially joyus time because of the default music... make no mistake.. the SPH isnt a place to be happy unless your very lucky.. or happen to be a very good pilot/engineer)

Edited by Overland

On 11-6-2013 at 3:29 AM, rodion_herrera said:

On 11-6-2013 at 3:47 AM, DisarmingBaton5 said:

This is epic.

On 31-8-2013 at 7:29 PM, Spyritdragon said:

Off to my piano! When i finish studying, that is.

Some time ago In november 2013 I made a transcription of this video.

It can still be found in this thread.

Download link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5095563/KSP_Theme_Piano_v2.pdf

Enjoy!

edit: replaced thread link with direct download to prevent necro'ing a 3 y/o thread.

edit2: And now I see this thread is actually a necro from 2013 *facepalm*

Edited by OrtwinS

On a somewhat related note, (pun not intended,) I remember watching extreme makeover when I recognized the sound effects on the part where they showed the planned surgical operations. They had used same sounds as were in the original (1994) XCOM game. I found the combination a little disconcerting.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.