Flying two aircraft at the same time

So, I have a theory for how to fly two planes in atmosphere at the same time. For it to theoretically work, they would both need docking ports and one would need to be carrying a rover with a parachute. If the plane with the rover was flying, then dropped the rover and deployed the parachute, and turned on ASAS, it would keep flying. If you then drove the rover to the other plane and docked it, you be in control of the plane. Then you could fly it up and be flying with the other plane. Anyone know if this would actually work? I haven't gotten to test it in-game yet.

I seen a video of someone controlling and docking a couple planes in mid-air... looked challenging. There is a post with it somewhere on these forums, if I see it I will re-post it. When you switch views to another vessel the previous no longer has thrust so you would have to switch back and forth constantly

I've considered doing this within the context of launching a shuttle glider of the back of a plane. There is no way to do this with stock parts, as I have done with my shuttle experiments, however I have considered the idea with parts mods only, namely, B9.

Once I achieve my goal of a stock parts shuttle launch, orbit and landing, I'll finally allow myself to use a mod to build a plane big enough to carry my shuttle designs in the future; and I think it can be done quite simply; well, not simply, but it can be done.

The way I've designed my stock shuttles so far, they're unpowered gliders that fly like a dream. I've made some stunning landing tests with unpowered flight, so I'm pretty sure I can do 2 aircrafts. The plan is to ferry the shuttle up to a decent altitude, let it go, stabilize with ASAS or the nose cone flight computer part in my case, then switch aircrafts, make sure the other craft is on level flight, switch aircrafts again, land the shuttle, and switch again and land the plane that piggy-back the shuttle.

The reason I think it can be done is simple. Whenever I try to switch aircraft or space vehicles, I get the standard warning "you can not switch while throttled" message. Since my shuttle is unpowered, thats not an issue. It's balanced enough to glide for 10's of kilometers without any intervention my part. Given enough altitude, future testing needed of course, I Can easily switch crafts for a few minutes and let the shuttle glide in the background.

The thought process is there for me and I would definitely like to try it out one day.

As part of my experiments in aerial refueling with KAS I put two airplanes up at the same time, it was actually really simple and the only stipulation is that they have to stay within the 2.25km of each other (you can of course increase that with mods). Basically you launch one plane, drive/fly it off the side of the runway, then switch back to space center to launch another plane. Now you have two planes sitting near each other. Throttle one up, pitch up and engage ASAS (throttle back if exceeding 2.25 km is a factor), then quickly switch to the other plane with "[" or "]". I know it doesn't make sense, but I've never had trouble switching between throttled up planes in the atmosphere. From there you quickly throttle up and race to catch up with the other plane. As long as you're within 2.25 km you can do whatever you want.

Sadly my aviation pioneers were unable to refuel one plane from another, as the refueling boom proved unstable and impossible to intercept at speeds slow enough to allow docking and preclude explosions.

you launch one plane, drive/fly it off the side of the runway, then switch back to space center to launch another plane. Now you have two planes sitting near each other. Throttle one up, pitch up and engage ASAS (throttle back if exceeding 2.25 km is a factor), then quickly switch to the other plane with "[" or "]".

Am I only one to who game says "CANNOT SWITCH VESSELS WHILE IN ATMOSPHERE"? Cannot switch while vessel is under acceleration. Cannot switch while vessel is throttled up. Cannot switch while driving over the surface.

And i cannot switch to tracking station too.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.