0.20.2 Munshine V - Another Bloody Apollo Style Spacecraft (but light!)

Just thought I share with you that I ended up choosing your vessel to use in my current video series as a start off craft.. :) I have since modified it a bit.. But the first video I used it stock.. I did have fun with it. Thanks.

WoodyD: Excellent, glad you got it downloaded OK and enjoyed the ship!

malkuth: Thanks man, I'm honored! I can understand the trouble you had with the transposition, docking and extraction maneuver. It's a little tricky if you didn't design it yourself. I did re-write that bit later on: it's easier if you undock the MM first, then turn the CSM (with the decoupler still attached) around and dock like that. Then extract the lander, reposition for your correction burn, ditch the engine shroud and you're on your way.

Clever how you used the second stage's center engine to save some delta-v on circularization :)

Edited by Wayfare

j-tk's post reminded me that I haven't paid tribute to Neil Armstrong since 0.17.

rupJcuX.png

"Who do you think he was, Jeb?"

"I don't know, Bill. But for his people to bring such a massive memorial all the way to the Mun, he must have been one hell of a space badass."

Based on the video reviews by Malkuth1974 and HOCgaming (8 out of 10, I'm well chuffed!), as well as general user feedback, some helpful "How To" sections have been added to the first post. Read up if you've been having trouble with the Munshine V!

Same here, and I tried save-as and it doesn't work, it won't show up in-game.

Warfare319, make sure you save the file to your KSP_win\saves\[your game's name]\Ships\VAB folder and don't let the browser save it as anything else than a *.craft file.

That is one awesome ship, Wayfare! I was so proud of my Apollo style ship, but yours blew mine out of the water. That's an awesome rover too. I had so much fun and everything worked like a charm. Thanks for sharing this!!!?id=155345036

Thanks etommytay! I'm really pleased that so many people are enjoying the Munshine V. Don't feel bad about your own design - believe me, I went through a lot of different designs that were functional but just not quite "it" before settling on this one, and it was Jm419's Earth V that gave me the inspiration to build it. Nicking other people's design ideas is what this forum is all about ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it's time to say goodbye to the 0.20 Stock Munshine V. 0.21 is just around the corner and I'll be rebuilding the Munshine V once it hits. Some innovations to look forward to: a slightly more powerful launcher to help those who don't do highly aggressive gravity turns, less excess fuel in the landing stage, and a cleaner ascent stage for the Munar Module.

As a last hurrah, I partook in the Apollo 11 Day celebrations, flying a "Deluxe".

9DJlqQ0.jpg

Arriving at the Mun. How come this never gets old?

zlFehap.png

Shortly after undocking the lander from the CSM, Jeb got a real nice look at a Kerbinrise from his window.

IuEm3Wl.png

Having landed within a few km of the memorial, Jeb and Bill head out to pay their respects.

PSzCmsI.png

Who needs precision landings when you have a buggy?

FTriwwH.png

fl4rLXi.png

Happy Apollo 11 Day everyone!

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.