[0.22] Extraplanetary Launchpads Legacy Thread

skykooler

thanks! that is a relief, i installed it three times to make sure it wasn't my fault. keep up the good work! i'm sooooo looking forward to my base on the dark side of Mun!

Okay, I'm at a loss here. How am I supposed to get this thing to another planet? It's bloody huge and incredibly awkward to attach boosters to without it tumbling over on landing--and that's assuming you can get it into orbit in the first place.

Okay, I'm at a loss here. How am I supposed to get this thing to another planet? It's bloody huge and incredibly awkward to attach boosters to without it tumbling over on landing--and that's assuming you can get it into orbit in the first place.

Its a bit troublesome. However I added an 1 ton pod on the other side of the workshop. An control center who give extra rotpower on small struts, also sas and asas. radial boosters and fuel tanks close to center. fuel in droptank bellow.

Main issue is the huge size, however its pretty lightweight.

Sure! I just added this to the part.cfg:

MODULE
{
name = ExLaunchPad
debug = true
}

Skykooler, what would you think about modifying the code to make it easy for anyone to reorient it to place the ship properly depending on their model? If you share the source code I can put that together.

I could look into making my blast shield self-leveling too, if that would be helpful.

And since I haven't said it yet, grats on getting named in KSP Weekly! :D

Would love to see something like the HL blast shield as a Launchpad. Only thing is it would have to be made so it can be built on in VAB, like the current Launchpad model allows, that's kinda vital for setting up the resource side of things on other planets.

I'm noticing this too, having one in orbit of Minimus right now using a Skycrane approach to attempt to drop it upright in place.

It seems really unweildly in the air, despite having two 2 meter probecores on top to try and steer it.

Anyone here succeeded in deploying one? I'm curious if it really has to lay directly on the ground- which it seems like it would need to for stability reasons since when it unfolds objects attached to the fins don't move with it.

Once I finally get it odwn though I'll basically make a pipeline to attach it to processing equipment nearby, that way it is supplied with ore and kethane at all times.

I'm noticing this too, having one in orbit of Minimus right now using a Skycrane approach to attempt to drop it upright in place.

It seems really unweildly in the air, despite having two 2 meter probecores on top to try and steer it.

Anyone here succeeded in deploying one? I'm curious if it really has to lay directly on the ground- which it seems like it would need to for stability reasons since when it unfolds objects attached to the fins don't move with it.

Once I finally get it odwn though I'll basically make a pipeline to attach it to processing equipment nearby, that way it is supplied with ore and kethane at all times.

I have laid them down on Eve, Duna, Minmus, and the Mun. Easiest way I have found is to attach 6 or 8 jet engines with radial decouplers along the base, and some mono on top of the tanks for RCS when dropping the lifter. Make sure to also have some thrusters on the launchpad itself. You can also open it before landing to land with a "+" instead of a "|" shape.

They do not need to lay directly on the ground. You can attach wheels directly to the base and drive it around, or attach it to a base on wheels as some have done here.

Oh, and they are not indestructible. I have destroyed at least 5 now when launching another ship from them, which means landing a new one.

Hope it helps.

Edited by Farnsworth

I read page for page and still can't figure this out. Do I delete the MMI_Kethane.dll and place Kethane.dll in place of it? Do I just delete MMI_Kethane.dll and leave Kethane.dll where it is in the structure of the zip? Or do I leave both in their respective locations?

So long as said pipeline is under 1900 Feet you'll be good, a KAS user tried making a 2km pipeline as soon as he got close to 2k the entire pipeline EXPLODED!! Just fair warning.....

That was me. And to clarify it didn't just explode. The entire thing didn't explode, only a few part. The rest of the parts scattered at tremendous speed THROUGH Kerbin. After about 20min realtime there was a 3km wide debris field on escape trajrct from the sun as a result......

so yea...KAS pipelines are only useful in a localized application

No offense was intended, sorry.....

none taken at all bud, silly experiment are best shared imo =P and it was a rather awesomely chaotic thing to behold, if not a little disappointing....

The original vision was a Mun with little wellhead mining, miles of pipeline covering the Mun pumping fuels to and fro, Jeb running back and forth screaming "yeaaa! All the fuel is mine! I'm BP b****s!!!"

Ahhh, the glory of industry

I flipped over the Blast Shield to make this experimental Launch Pad!

VwIf8tw.jpg

NuSWLyx.jpg

Uploaded to my Kerbal Space Port page, with the pictured craft included. Requires that the Extraplanetary Launchpad mod be downloaded separately.

I must say this is a really cool and easy to use mod. Have to run, be back later.

Could the launchpad be modded so the launch clamps attach to the planet surface instead of the pad?

This would allow erection of permanent, anchored buildings such as biodomes and HQs. The launchpad could either be left in situ or wheeled out from underneath.

It also makes it easier to build level floors and plumb walls!

Edited by colmo

I flipped over the Blast Shield to make this experimental Launch Pad!

Uploaded to my Kerbal Space Port page, with the pictured craft included. Requires that the Extraplanetary Launchpad mod be downloaded separately.

I must say this is a really cool and easy to use mod. Have to run, be back later.

Fantastic. I'm going to use this and the giant HL runways to thoroughly colonize KSC2. :D

Fantastic. I'm going to use this and the giant HL runways to thoroughly colonize KSC2. :D

Right now, it looks like the code to add this "spawn" functionality to any module is pretty straight forward:

MODULE
{
name = ExLaunchPad
debug = true
}

If you put that onto the runway then I think you could spawn each "road" on the last one and roll it out.

Have you tried making a bigger building or using a smaller launch pad?

I haven't had a chance to try it at all, and will be AFK until Monday at least. Awful timing, killing me to miss out!

Come to think of it, I may remember "floating" clamps when I made really oversized rockets on the standard launch pad... This could be an issue with the way the clamps are coded.

I would particularly like it if someone could make a mod where launch clamps could be attached to your ship, undeployed, and then deployed later to make stuff very stable. Also good for, say, oil rigs and really tall swing sets.