[0.22] Extraplanetary Launchpads Legacy Thread

skykooler

Come to think of it, I may remember "floating" clamps when I made really oversized rockets on the standard launch pad... This could be an issue with the way the clamps are coded.

I would particularly like it if someone could make a mod where launch clamps could be attached to your ship, undeployed, and then deployed later to make stuff very stable. Also good for, say, oil rigs and really tall swing sets.

Isn't that more or less big landing gear then?

I assume this is the place to go with suggestions.

Two things:

First: Could it be made possible to "recycle" ships into an equivalent mass of RocketParts and/or Metal?

Second: What are your thoughts on crew management? It's obviously not logical for the ships to spawn full of fresh Kerbals.

How about making them spawn empty? Or perhaps they could only draw from the pool of Kerbals onboard the launch platform.

I assume this is the place to go with suggestions.

Two things:

First: Could it be made possible to "recycle" ships into an equivalent mass of RocketParts and/or Metal?

Second: What are your thoughts on crew management? It's obviously not logical for the ships to spawn full of fresh Kerbals.

How about making them spawn empty? Or perhaps they could only draw from the pool of Kerbals onboard the launch platform.

Both of these are in the works for v2.

Well, I just spent 12 hours re-working EL and adding a UI.

I learned a lot in the process, and now between skykooler and I, I think we have it licked.

A full UI to show required resources before building is in and working, and sky is getting to grips with the new ui system as I type by trying to add variable fuel fills.

Destruction is a distinct possibility, but I had another idea also.

Seeing as we have code for creating craft, surely we could use it to make a "dock".

When you "dock", the craft is destroyed and a "dock capacity" is reduced by the mass of the craft.

You can then "undock" ships and they are created as they were when you docked.

Seeing as it is now looking like EL and Orbital Construction will share the same UI, if we can get it working for one, we can get it working for the other.

KSP can also tell you about craft touching or nearby the launch pad parts. You can get the mass and/or resources from the craft, add it to the launch pad's resources, and then destroy the craft.

I did something similar for my SQUID part, which applies force to touching parts.

looks great gonna check it out after exams,

question, is there a way to transfer resources to orbit?, ie. can i deploy one in orbit and shuttle resouces metal etc... up from the moon?

looks great gonna check it out after exams,

question, is there a way to transfer resources to orbit?, ie. can i deploy one in orbit and shuttle resouces metal etc... up from the moon?

This does not work in orbit, will break physics if you try.

So long as said pipeline is under 1900 Feet you'll be good, a KAS user tried making a 2km pipeline as soon as he got close to 2k the entire pipeline EXPLODED!! Just fair warning.....

Thats why I am aiming for minimus, in the hopes of coming across both a Kethane and an Ore patch less than 2km apart. I land the launch pad on the ore platform, follow up by landing a smelter module, and then it is able to build its own pipeline-rovers over to the Kethane deposit.

Testing this concept by spawning pipeline modules packaged as rovers, the shape of the default pad is problematic. Several modules got hung up on the sharp edge, and my initial test of a tankage module resulted in the module abruptly rolling over.

I'll probably continue to lay the pad directly on the ground, even though it doesn't necessarily have to be. It's just easier from a stability standpoint, since parts attached to the arms of it do not move with it when it unfolds.

This does not work in orbit, will break physics if you try.

However resources should be transferable, working on Minmus you can mine on one part of the moon, go to orbit and land close the the launchpad for resource transfer.

But yes do not try to use the launchpad while its in orbit.

However resources should be transferable, working on Minmus you can mine on one part of the moon, go to orbit and land close the the launchpad for resource transfer.

But yes do not try to use the launchpad while its in orbit.

Although you may want to use wheeled vehicles to move ore. 1 unit of ore weighs 1 ton.

Good to see that you were in the newsletter =) Congrats! I got an idea for an launchpad that im going to start a model on later today, i think its neat you made this so other modders can make own launchpad, more the merrier ;) cheers

The default mode is to just build ships out of thin air. However, that's not very realistic. So there are parts included to allow you to mine ore, smelt it into metal, and build it into rocket parts which you can use to build a ship. To enable resources mode, just change the line

debug = true

to

debug = false

in the launchpad's part.cfg. Note that if debug is off, you will need all resources for a rocket - liquidfuel, oxidizer, monopropellant and electricity - before you can build it. Also, you will need the scanner from the kethane pack to locate ore deposits.

THIS MODE IS EXPERIMENTAL.

I've looked for this in the .cfg... can't for the life of me find it

The default mode is to just build ships out of thin air. However, that's not very realistic. So there are parts included to allow you to mine ore, smelt it into metal, and build it into rocket parts which you can use to build a ship. To enable resources mode, just change the line

debug = true

to

debug = false

in the launchpad's part.cfg. Note that if debug is off, you will need all resources for a rocket - liquidfuel, oxidizer, monopropellant and electricity - before you can build it. Also, you will need the scanner from the kethane pack to locate ore deposits.

THIS MODE IS EXPERIMENTAL.

I've looked for this in the .cfg... can't for the life of me find it

It's near the end:

MODULE
{
name = exLaunchPad
debug = true
}

Hello.

I have a few questions.

I played with the Kethane mod v0.5. Today I installed Extraplanetary Launchpads and saw that I lost Kethane scanner sound and position marker scanner-ship. After examining the structure of the folders I have concluded that you are using not version 0.5 of Kethane, but older.

What files and where I must move to restore sound and a marker?

Are you planning to update your version of the Kethane plugin?

How to extract metal?

Why detail ore and metal bin, and why they have such a strange transparent model?

Thats why I am aiming for minimus, in the hopes of coming across both a Kethane and an Ore patch less than 2km apart. I land the launch pad on the ore platform, follow up by landing a smelter module, and then it is able to build its own pipeline-rovers over to the Kethane deposit.

Testing this concept by spawning pipeline modules packaged as rovers, the shape of the default pad is problematic. Several modules got hung up on the sharp edge, and my initial test of a tankage module resulted in the module abruptly rolling over.

I'll probably continue to lay the pad directly on the ground, even though it doesn't necessarily have to be. It's just easier from a stability standpoint, since parts attached to the arms of it do not move with it when it unfolds.

If it works let us know, but I suspect the moment you end up with a part that is over 2k away from CoM you will end up with something going boom. Or does it not count linked rovers as one craft?

If it works let us know, but I suspect the moment you end up with a part that is over 2k away from CoM you will end up with something going boom. Or does it not count linked rovers as one craft?

therein lies the problem with this, in order for it to be a pipeline the KAS lines have to be plugged as docked

Works but even using the included modified kethane.dll kethane drills don't work, rightclick them and nothing happens, and the camera randomly "detaches" from craft with kethane drills

The included version of kethane with the download isn't using the same naming system as recent kethane versions, it's "MMI_Kethane.dll" not "Kethane.dll" and the empty folders in Extraplanetary Launchpads\Plugins\PluginData\ confuse me, anyone gotten this to work that can supply specific versions of kethane, extraplanetary launchpad and what modifications are needed to the files?

Works but even using the included modified kethane.dll kethane drills don't work, rightclick them and nothing happens, and the camera randomly "detaches" from craft with kethane drills

The included version of kethane with the download isn't using the same naming system as recent kethane versions, it's "MMI_Kethane.dll" not "Kethane.dll" and the empty folders in Extraplanetary Launchpads\Plugins\PluginData\ confuse me, anyone gotten this to work that can supply specific versions of kethane, extraplanetary launchpad and what modifications are needed to the files?

It sounds like you still have the old version of Extraplanetary Launchpads, v1.0. You can download v1.1 here.

K3|Chris, Yes! I also talked about it on the previous page.

The current version of Extraplanetary Launchpads is not compatible with the current version of Ketan. The file Kethane.dll is out of date.

Yesterday, Majiir released a bugfix for Kethane, making the current Kethane version 0.5.1. Sky, do you think you could update your modified Kethane plugin to include the Kethane 0.5.1 bugfixes? I know you're already busy with fixing the ore bins, making new launchpad models, and having a life. But that's what you get for making a mod this awesome :D

Btw, have you though of teaming up with Majiir to make a "Kerbal Applied Resources" mod or something? It would definitely be the best mod ever, it would address the community's frustration about delayed stock resources, and it would keep you from having to continually play catchup with Kethane updates.

Majiir already has plans to include multiple resource support in Kethane 0.6, so it might be a little redundant.....

Kinda why I'm just fooling around with these mods and not doing anything big/permanent on other worlds until things become a bit more clear of where they're going.