[0.22] Extraplanetary Launchpads Legacy Thread

skykooler

the mod's finally working, seems it refused to load the stuff all right, so had to redownload it. though, the structure is as unsable for me as a cracked out Charlie Manson, and landing on minimus seems to be a screaming headache to land, as one wrong move and it all spins out of control. It would be nice to see a launchpad mesh setup like the hooligan's one, compact, easy to launch up, since the unofficial mesh replacer doesn't like to work right for me whatsoever.

I am having an issue when placing either of the two kethane survey parts on a satellite. When i go to launch the craft it shows as if I am already in orbit but yet i never launched the craft and the game goes unresponsive. All it will allow me to do at that point is return to the space center. But if i remove the survey part from the craft then it will go to the launch pad like normal. I was wondering if anyone else is running into this problem and has a solution. I am operating off of a MAC so I don't know if there is a conflict with the operation system and the mod.

You need to delete the kethane.cfg in your save folder.

Well here it is, the first packaged release in my development fork.

Changes:

• New, improved build UI supporting partial fuel fills.
  • All old parts removed except launchpad and runway.
  • Old resource processing functionality removed
  • HexCan containers added for RocketParts, Ore and Metal
  • Sample test rig included

If you have access to the Kethane 0.6 development branch, a couple of.cfg file edits (See the txt files for instructions on this - there are some in the Parts folder AND the Resources folder) will add the following features:

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO KETHANE 0.6, DO NOT BUG MYSELF OR MAJIIR FOR IT

• Kethane-like distribution of Ore (Currently hacked to be everywhere, changeable in cfg)
  • Ore Detectors
  • Ore Extraction (No Drill like part included, but the module code works on any part)
  • Processing of Ore into Metal
  • Processing of Metal into RocketParts

The files can be downloaded here:

http://evilc.com/files/games/ksp/elmod.zip

Please report all bugs with this test fork here:

https://github.com/evilC/Extraplanetary-Launchpads/issues

THIS IS NOT A PATCH, IT IS A COMPLETE MOD. REMOVE OLD FILES BEFORE INSTALLING!

Edited by evilC

Right, with the release post out of the way, a little Q and A...

Why have I removed the other parts?

They were a pain - odd shapes, bad attaching plus they were not finished. Plus they visually indicated that a Kerbal should work at the rocket builder / smelter, an idea I did not plan to pursue.

What about the pads?

I am not 100% happy with those either and would like to improve them. The Launchpad is not too bad, but should have a decent attach node on the side and all arms should fold up.

Why remove resource processing?

The new version of Kethane lets you create all that functionality on your own parts through cfg file edits. I would be crazy not to hook into this functionality.

Where are you headed with this fork?

The intention is to merge the Orbital Construction code in - either by merging projects with Interfect, or forking that also.

I also do not see the point in keeping resource processing as part of the EL mod. Now that we have resource containers for all the parts, there is no dependency on resource processing - if you want you can ship RocketParts up from Kerbin.

Can I help?

YES! If you can model or code I would love some help. Ideally more experienced people than me but if you can contribute something you are welcome.

@Skykooler: Could you put version number in the subject line of the topic?

There's a lot of plugins and I don't reads all the posts in all the addon topics, but I know which versions I'm using so if you release a new version and change the number I'll notice that.. If you really want to be cool for people like me you could put a "last release date" in the subject line as well so we'll know when to come and get the new version.

Also, I'm really happy about the state of the mod now. If I'd have to gather resources before being able to build rockets that might be more fun for others, but less fun for me. It might be a bit of a cheat but the game is about having fun and should not be a grind for materials. Unless of course you can automate those things. ;)

Right, with the release post out of the way, a little Q and A...

Why have I removed the other parts?

They were a pain - odd shapes, bad attaching plus they were not finished. Plus they visually indicated that a Kerbal should work at the rocket builder / smelter, an idea I did not plan to pursue.

What about the pads?

I am not 100% happy with those either and would like to improve them. The Launchpad is not too bad, but should have a decent attach node on the side and all arms should fold up.

Why remove resource processing?

The new version of Kethane lets you create all that functionality on your own parts through cfg file edits. I would be crazy not to hook into this functionality.

Where are you headed with this fork?

The intention is to merge the Orbital Construction code in - either by merging projects with Interfect, or forking that also.

I also do not see the point in keeping resource processing as part of the EL mod. Now that we have resource containers for all the parts, there is no dependency on resource processing - if you want you can ship RocketParts up from Kerbin.

Can I help?

YES! If you can model or code I would love some help. Ideally more experienced people than me but if you can contribute something you are welcome.

Nice work! About the resource processing (I do not have Kethane 0.6), I am guessing we will have the choice of shipping rocket parts or mining ore, then processing to obtain them?

I was in the process of making my first part for the smelter, but it could be used for something else, so I could help once it gets going. I also have scripted some stuff in the RAGE engine, but need to get familiar with unity/ksp.

Thanks again. Great UI.

@Skykooler: Could you put version number in the subject line of the topic?

There's a lot of plugins and I don't reads all the posts in all the addon topics, but I know which versions I'm using so if you release a new version and change the number I'll notice that.. If you really want to be cool for people like me you could put a "last release date" in the subject line as well so we'll know when to come and get the new version.

Also, I'm really happy about the state of the mod now. If I'd have to gather resources before being able to build rockets that might be more fun for others, but less fun for me. It might be a bit of a cheat but the game is about having fun and should not be a grind for materials. Unless of course you can automate those things. ;)

Err...it seems I can't edit the thread title. Does anyone know how to do this?

Nice work! About the resource processing (I do not have Kethane 0.6), I am guessing we will have the choice of shipping rocket parts or mining ore, then processing to obtain them?

Correct, EL does not force you to use resource gathering and processing. You can always just ship RocketParts and Fuel up to your construction facility.

Does the newest version support kethane 5.1? Not using the resource gathering of the mod, so i think it should work. Asking just in case it doesn't

EDIT:The version that ''evilC'' posted today (on previous page)

Edited by Lurven

Does the newest version support kethane 5.1? Not using the resource gathering of the mod, so i think it should work. Asking just in case it doesn't

It supports it, it just won't mine ore.

It will be able to mine ore with stock Kethane when Kethane 0.6 is released, don't worry.

That's a relief. I was having a particularly annoying bug in which the small Kethane drill won't deploy at all, and the large one automatically deploys upon launch.

The version I posted earlier did, as resource gathering / processing was completely removed from it, making it compatible with kethane 0.5.

The new version for Kethane 0.6 can be made to work with Kethane 0.5 (But no ore gathering, ore>metal, metal>rocketparts functionality) , but you would have to rip out some stuff from the config files.

But I see no reason why you would not want to move from Kethane 0.5 to 0.6 anyway

New test build for Kethane 0.6:

About:

This is a testing release of EL with all functionality moved onto the pads.

It allows you to test EL functionality with a minimum of fuss.

Functionality can easily be moved to more appropriate parts by moving the module blocks in the part.cfg for the pads to another part.

(eg Move resource processing to a kethane processor, move resource gathering to a kethane drill)

Ore detection via Kethane mod is in, but by default in a cheaty state (it is everywhere by default).

This can be changed by editing the ExtraSpaceCenters.cfg in the Resources folder. More sensible values are commented out.

Installation:

Copy the contents of the GameData folder into KSP's GameData folder.

Optionally, copy the contents of the Ships folder into KSP's Ships folder.

Optionally, install Kethane mod 0.6 or greater. If You do not, the only way to build offworld would be to ship RocketPart resources up to your construction facility.

Usage:

To build a craft, you need the RocketParts resource plus any Fuel etc the craft contains.

Partial fuel fills are allowed.

RocketParts, Metal and Ore containers are included, courtesy of Grey's HexCans.

If you also have the Kethane mod installed (Must be version 0.6 or greater!), then the following features are enabled

Detecting and mining of Ore.

Processing of Ore into Metal.

Processing of Metal into RocketParts.

Please report all issues at https://github.com/evilC/Extraplanetary-Launchpads/issues

Download: http://evilc.com/files/games/ksp/elmod.zip

If I may make a suggestion, I think that masses for ore/metal/rocket parts should be adjusted. Currently they are set to basically be 1 ton per unit, plus .15 tons for the resource can. This would imply that the ore, the processed metal, AND the rocket parts all have the same density. That does not really make good sense.

Note: Although the pad includes all of the conversion modules, it does not include storage containers for the resulting materials. As such, it cannot be used without attaching them to it, because with no containers for the resources the game cannot process them.

In my case I'll just send a rover carrying containers of parts, which will then build another rover with containers for ore and metal to make it work correctly. From there it should expand smoothly.

Wouldn't it make more sense though for the ore and metal containers to be provided empty by default, that way they are easier to install?

Edited by OdinYggd

If I may make a suggestion, I think that masses for ore/metal/rocket parts should be adjusted. Currently they are set to basically be 1 ton per unit, plus .15 tons for the resource can. This would imply that the ore, the processed metal, AND the rocket parts all have the same density. That does not really make good sense.

I changed the ConversionEfficiency field in the part.cfg files for the launchpad and runway's ore->metal module so that they now read ConversionEfficiency = .25

This way, one ton of ore still has the same mass as a ton of metal, but not all the mass of the ore is used to create metal. I'm using .9 for metal->parts, seeing as there's going to be some wasted metal, but overall the process should be pretty efficient.

I changed the ConversionEfficiency field in the part.cfg files for the launchpad and runway's ore->metal module so that they now read ConversionEfficiency = .25

This way, one ton of ore still has the same mass as a ton of metal, but not all the mass of the ore is used to create metal. I'm using .9 for metal->parts, seeing as there's going to be some wasted metal, but overall the process should be pretty efficient.

that makes sense, good call. That was in essence what I was getting at really, there is usually a noticeable amount of material loss. Hopefully in a society capable of putting a launch pad on another astral body they would have pretty good recycling and processing techniques, but even so you always loose some.

that makes sense, good call. That was in essence what I was getting at really, there is usually a noticeable amount of material loss. Hopefully in a society capable of putting a launch pad on another astral body they would have pretty good recycling and processing techniques, but even so you always loose some.

Agreed. This makes sence

If anyone wondered, you can't put a launchpad in orbit and build a space station. The objects you spawn start at zero ms and the launch pad tend to disappear from orbital view. Kind of sad about that, but I guess mining the mun and launching from it will suffice.