[0.22] Extraplanetary Launchpads Legacy Thread

skykooler

@Krisism: I just put the module on the stock 1x1 structural panel. Then I place that panel on whatever structure I make that looks like a launchpad. Made one out of 8x8 B9 panels, and it worked great (except when I tried to load the Trawler on it - poor pad couldn't take the massive weight and collapsed. Currently using a rescaled Hooligan landing pad, and that's about perfect.

used google translater

Hello!

I tried to fix configs of latest Extraplanetary Lanchpads.

Go on here for those who do not know how to edit config files, but wants to play with this mod with a full extraction of resources, without simplifications introduced the author to test and debug.

Link to original version.

My corrected version: -snip-

What's changed:

1. Parameters fields. In the original metal is everywhere.

2. Added drill and converter for ore. It is based on a large drill and a big converter Kethane. Textures are replaced with kindly made ​​Artem Nikitin (see screenshots)

3. From the launch pads config removed the possibility to drill and convert the ore into metal, but left the scanner function and converter metal to rocket parts.

4. All containers of ore / metal / Rocket Parts made empty.

All changes made ​​on the basis of the recommendations of the "readme" from the author of mod, or information from the forum (ie correspond to the mod author).

To complete the work required mod Kethane v0.6

screenshots:1, 2, 3

Edited by Aphox
Removed DL link.

Malcom, I've removed the download link in your post as it violates Kethane's mod license. In the future, if you want to distribute modified versions of add-ons, please contact the author for permission prior to posting them. :wink:

My first attempt at a part in KSP:

0uXuup5.jpg

A simple Launchpad concept. Starts as a sphere, and unfolds to reveal launchpad. Small, Medium, and Large. If anyone is interested, I will upload.

Note: the rovers are not included in the part, just a quick build to move them around.

0uXuup5.jpg

A simple Launchpad concept. Starts as a sphere, and unfolds to reveal launchpad. Small, Medium, and Large. If anyone is interested, I will upload.

Note: the rovers are not included in the part, just a quick build to move them around.

Nifty, but I have one concern; is it the camera angle, or is the middle launch tower leaning slightly?

Nifty, but I have one concern; is it the camera angle, or is the middle launch tower leaning slightly?

All three of them are leaning because they are on weak Rovers. They work much better when built on a solid base.

Extraplanetary Launchpads v2 is released! Download here.

Changelog:

• Compatible with stock Kethane (version 0.6 or later)
  • New GUI, thanks to evilC
  • Added ability to partially fill ships if you don't have enough of a resource
  • Fixed missing texture on launchpad
  • Temporarily replaced glitchy ore and metal bin models with Hexcans
  • Fixed augur which was broken in v1.1

JWbvPw2.png

Q9FKaHg.png

Note that this official release, unlike evilC's development version, does not pack all modules onto the launch pad. So you will need the other parts (unless you want to add them on in the .cfg).

Also, Ore has been distributed on a per-planet basis. This means it will be easier to set up bases on some planets or muns than others.

Thanks for the update!

Now I can not test it in the game, but I looked configs of the parts and saw that you have removed the possibility of mining and processing at the Launchpad, but did not remove them from the Runway. I think that's a mistake.

0uXuup5.jpg

Wow, this looks interesting.

Certainly interested in innovative ways of packing that launchpad, would love to have a play.

Hi Skykooler, I've been playing with this mod for a while and no matter what launchpad/config I use - there is still a bit of an issue with the craft 'slamming' into the ground when it spawns. For example, if you dont have launch clamps, a small 6ton vehicle with 6 monster wheels has every wheel pop instantly. Unfortunately it also breaks the launchpad I'm using too sometimes (I'm using the hooligan labs launchpad parts, they would be a great addition to your core mod.).

Any ideas how to get around this? I remember in OC if you spawned something on a planet it would 'float' down until it touched the ground and then have normal physics applied. You could try doing the same for your mod, just have it spawn like 1 m above the launchpad coordinates and float down. Then it still looks good and less explosions!

Been having a good time with the mod, I just can't get a base running though with consistent spawn issues. Looking forward to mining some ore. Thanks for your work on the mod - so much great potential!

Malcom, I've removed the download link in your post as it violates Kethane's mod license. In the future, if you want to distribute modified versions of add-ons, please contact the author for permission prior to posting them. :wink:

Were there models or code in there? If all he was doing was distributing cfg files that alter the config of the mod (Ore distribution etc), I do not see a problem with that. In fact, personally I encourage it.

I don't see anything mentioned in his post that indicates what he did could not be done by just releasing cfg files, so if that is the case, do that and release again.

Edited by evilC

Personally I seem to have the issue of getting the darn launchpad to land on the mun well, any tips / examples of how you have landed one on a low gravity moon ?

Yes, it is a bit of a pain with the launchpad so awkwardly shaped. Personally, I have not used EL in a "proper" savegame yet, I agree it needs a better launchpad or another way of working to be practical.

In the meantime, if you need to test it on other planets etc, use HyperEdit to cheat it there.

@csshanks - I use 3 or 4 radial decouplers (depending on shape) with a tiny fuel tank/rcs tank and atomic engine. Then I just use it to land the launchpad and jettison the rockets upon landing so it's all one piece. I try and save as much rcs until the end as possible because then I can use ASAS and RCS at the very end of the landing. Half my issue was always how to stay angled right while watching the final meters of landing. With the extra RCS you can just kill your lateral velocity, turn on ASAS and then just focus completely on the landing speed. This is how I land everything now pretty much.

Were there models or code in there? If all he was doing was distributing cfg files that alter the config of the mod (Ore distribution etc), I do not see a problem with that. In fact, personally I encourage it.

I don't see anything mentioned in his post that indicates what he did could not be done by just releasing cfg files, so if that is the case, do that and release again.

It included Kethane models and modified textures. You can see them in the screenshot links which remain.

In the archive, I have given to be the models of Kethane mod with modified textures and configs. I apologize to author's mod Kethane, I did not want get for his achievements and honestly said that taken as a basis its model. My goal was to allow players who can not or are afraid to correct configs to play with a full extraction and processing of ore. Since the lanchpads release version came with the extraction and processing, I do not see any reason to lay out my archive again.

But if you want, and if the author of Kethane mod gives permission, I can lay out my archive in whole or in part (such as textures only).

Edited by Malcolm

A general rule of thumb here - asset file (Picture, DLL, Model) - not allowed to distribute

cfg files - allowed to modify and distribute.

So unfortunately, no you cannot release what you did to make it easier for non-technical people to move functions on to kethane parts (Though I applaud your community spirit), but you can release your altered cfg files - for example to suggest resource distribution, map colours, resource weights, etc etc.

Oh, but HexCans is an exception as Greys has made it free to distribute. eg you can redistribute new hexcan textures that include the original base textures plus your own resource icon, or even include the models if you want.

A general rule of thumb here - asset file (Picture, DLL, Model) - not allowed to distribute

cfg files - allowed to modify and distribute.

So unfortunately, no you cannot release what you did to make it easier for non-technical people to move functions on to kethane parts (Though I applaud your community spirit), but you can release your altered cfg files - for example to suggest resource distribution, map colours, resource weights, etc etc.

This is sad. But still, is not so actual.

Once again, my excuses.

Wow, this looks interesting.

Certainly interested in innovative ways of packing that launchpad, would love to have a play.

I will be uploading this weekend hopefully. I wanted to make sure I would not step on any toes by releasing a modified config file with the part, but after reading above, I see it should be fine. Oh, and the collider was broken, had to make a new one.

Hi Skykooler, I've been playing with this mod for a while and no matter what launchpad/config I use - there is still a bit of an issue with the craft 'slamming' into the ground when it spawns. For example, if you dont have launch clamps, a small 6ton vehicle with 6 monster wheels has every wheel pop instantly. Unfortunately it also breaks the launchpad I'm using too sometimes (I'm using the hooligan labs launchpad parts, they would be a great addition to your core mod.).

Any ideas how to get around this? I remember in OC if you spawned something on a planet it would 'float' down until it touched the ground and then have normal physics applied. You could try doing the same for your mod, just have it spawn like 1 m above the launchpad coordinates and float down. Then it still looks good and less explosions!

Been having a good time with the mod, I just can't get a base running though with consistent spawn issues. Looking forward to mining some ore. Thanks for your work on the mod - so much great potential!

Are you using the v2 release or the (earlier) v2 alpha? The alpha had the launchpad fully fueled, meaning it weighed 200 tons. The release launches it empty, making it a lot easier to use.

Are you using the v2 release or the (earlier) v2 alpha? The alpha had the launchpad fully fueled, meaning it weighed 200 tons. The release launches it empty, making it a lot easier to use.

I think what he is referring to is that V2 for some reason forces every craft to load a short ways up from the Launchpad, regardless of craft position in VAB. This is also happening with the pad at KSC. Easy way to avoid issue is use launch clamps.

I'm using the most recent version, with my own parts made from the previous release by EvilC (not sure, perhaps the dev build in question). Added your planet/body-specific updates to the resource file too :D Everything works as intended aside from the spawning of crafts. I've actually only tested this off world in low-g environments (mun/minimus). The issue with launchclamps is they each become a separate craft after and you have to end flight for each of them (kind of a pain) - not to mention if you aren't using a lander sometimes its tough to actually clear the clamps and get off the pad (unless you can somehow clamp to the top).

Could you help me understand how EL spawns a craft after you select your ship and click 'build.' I want to get this figured out quite badly and hope there is some way I can help.

Thanks again for the mod! The GUI is awesome and slick btw (not sure if I mentioned).

Kris