[0.22] Extraplanetary Launchpads Legacy Thread

skykooler

This could be the same part but with the efficiency scaling with gravity. Or two if you feel like doing extra modeling and programming. :)

I generally imagine this as being part of the "launch pad" itself, otherwise a mechanism would be needed for transferring it to the pad.

The key with the micro-gravity stack is it is a linear flow with no storage, so the auger breaks up the rock and draws it directly into the vaporization chamber which shoots the atomized ore into the vacuum condenser which then at the correct points can extract the raw metals and draw them directly to the fabricator as it needs it. It couldn't be one part with different efficiency because 2/3 of the stack wouldn't function outside of micro-gravity. As I understand it while low gravity has some challenges to the process, it simplifies certain material engineering tasks considerably or at least changes them. Where on earth a lot of the mining/smelting/refinement/production process is dependent on gravity as an element in the whole process.

RE: the robotic foundry/fabricator, I was thinking of making it a base for a launchpad, so whatever launch pad you wanted to use would just mount on top of it so it would be fairly wide (when expanded) and have sloped/ramped sides so when you put the launchpad on the top you could drive off a rover (if the launchpad itself allows it).

Since there are folks who have done excellent work on launchpads already I wasn't going to tackle that just the parts that seem to need the most love (everything else)

Awesome! Thank you pasty2k2!

EDIT: To anyone else trying to load pasty2k2's craft he uses the Large Structural Components mod and MK4 Fuselage System v1.2 as well as the other mods he listed.

TY dude! forgot those mods :S

New version if anyone wants:

Linkification

Mods:

Mechjeb 2.0.8

KW Rocketry

Bobcat HOME 1.0.3

Kethane 0.7.2

B9 Aerospace 3.2

KSPX 0.20.X

UDK Large Structural Components

MK4 Fuselage System 1.2

Set MJ autostage to stop at 1, kill Jets with 0 when MJ says limiting on takeoff, when in orbit disable manage air intakes and close them all with 7. Use Aerobraking and throttle up at ~100m remaining on descent until speed is < 5m/s, kill throttle when chutes disappear. Power can be an issue with it all going at once, so toggle one of the augers and atmo processors if needed. Next version I'll try and get the part amount down...

1-Panels

2-Ladders

3-Detectors

4-Atmo Mining/processing

5-Ore Mining/processing

6-Kethane Mining/processing

7-Intakes

0-Jets

Edited by pasty2k2

Dunno it's been suggested in one of the previous 55 pages, but what about Recycling?

I think it would be nice if you had some debris within a certain range of your smelter, you can use it as raw material instead of delting it eventually :D

As I understand it while low gravity has some challenges to the process, it simplifies certain material engineering tasks considerably or at least changes them.

Where are you getting this from, Planetary Resources?

Then I could see the code looking something like this...

// Maximum gravity the auger can operate
[KSPField(isPersistant = true, guiActive = true, guiName = "Maximum Operational Acceleration", guiUnits = "m/s2", guiFormat = "F2")]
public float maxOperateAccel = 10f;

[KSPField(isPersistant = false, guiActive = true, guiName = "Current Acceleration", guiUnits = "m/s2", guiFormat = "F2")]
public float currentAccel = 0f;

[KSPField(isPersistant = false, guiActive = true, guiName = "Ready to Operate")]
public bool readyToOperate = false;

[KSPEvent(guiActive = true, guiActiveUnfocused = true, unfocusedRange = 2000, guiName = "Activate Auger")]
public void AugerControl()
{
if(readyToOperate) startAuger();
}

public void FixedUpdate()
{
// Assume it's ready
readyToOperate = true;

// Test to see if it's not
currentAccel = FlightGlobals.getGeeForceAtPosition(part.transform.position);
if(vessel.GetSrfVelocity() > 0.1)
{
KSPEvent[AugerControl].guiName = "Accel Too High"; readyToOperate = false;
}
if(vessel.GetSrfVelocity() > 0.1)
{
KSPEvent[AugerControl].guiName = "Stop Vessel First"; readyToOperate = false;
}
if(vessel.LandedOrSplashed)
{
KSPEvent[AugerControl].guiName = "Land Vessel"; readyToOperate = false;
}
if(!readyToOperate) return;

KSPEvent[AugerControl].guiName = "Activate Auger";
}

After I wrote this I realized something like this is probably already done by the Kethane mod, but oh well, it was fun to think about. :)

... so when you put the launchpad on the top you could drive off a rover (if the launchpad itself allows it).

I was thinking of hanging the pad from the underside and dropping the rover. I'm not sure how it works now, but that would be a nice feature (if you could adjust launch orientation).

Edited by Hooligan Labs

Hey guys. So my friend is having a issue with this mod. On my side, I hyperedit a launchpad into space, sometimes launching a ship in orbit works, sometimes it doesn't. My friend however has launched his into LKO with no cheats whatsoever and has a problem. Basically he loads a ship, it flies off and merely orbits at 0.0m/s and follows the launchpad a few kilometres away. He can actually see the ship and activate the context menus but he can't actually do anything. Has anyone here actually been successful with Orbital Space Centers? Any help will be appreciated

Has anyone here actually been successful with Orbital Space Centers? Any help will be appreciated

I think the mod author stated a lack of interest in this, due to the Orbital Construction mod already being in existence.

I did find the source code for this I think: https://github.com/skykooler/Extraplanetary-Launchpads/tree/master/Launchpad

It looks like the magic happens at line 277...

// build craft
FlightState state = new FlightState();
ShipConstruct nship = ShipConstruction.LoadShip(uis.craftfile);
ShipConstruction.PutShipToGround(nship, this.part.transform);
// is this line causing bug #11 ?
ShipConstruction.AssembleForLaunch(nship, "External Launchpad", HighLogic.CurrentGame.flagURL, state);
Staging.beginFlight();
nship.parts[0].vessel.ResumeStaging();
Staging.GenerateStagingSequence(nship.parts[0].localRoot);
Staging.RecalculateVesselStaging(nship.parts[0].vessel);

I'm surprised that attempting to build in space even works, I would assume ShipConstruction.PutShipToGround would fail since there isn't any ground in orbit! :)

But if it does work, the following line much solve it...

nship.vessel.orbit = this.vessel.orbit;

Not in front of a computer where I could test this.

Coming soon for testing from GNE, new Rover Lifts for our Spherical Launchpads!

h2GQjM7.jpg

Rover Lifts? Ones you can put under your rover and land them safely on the planet surface after spawning? Ohh heck yes!! One of my rovers caused my test on the Mun to break apart, because it was too big.

A query Skykooler. You (and others) have mentioned that at present you can't build a launchpad equipped craft from a launchpad. Is that going to be remedied in future? I'm curious about whether you've decided it's a design feature (limiting growth and forcing you to use the VAB for SOMETHING! :) ) or whether you're redesigning it so such 'staging' of construction will be possible.

I haven't tried that mod yet, just 'stock' EL. :) Maybe I should give it a try, I'm pretty sure I DLed it a while back.

(Edit:Um, just looking at that pad with it's raised landing legs reminded me. Does anyone know if there is a mod that allows you to change the start state of landing legs and gear? Maybe start with them lowered for launching RLVs? Raised for gear that aren't being used?)

Edited by Patupi

The 'new' pads work well except for one thing. The vessels start stuck to it. Usually if it's a rover it pops the wheels. If I have a Kerbal nearby and he fixes it it pops itself free, but other stuff takes a bit of a kick to get free of the pad before they can launch, roll or fly away. Lost a couple of extensions to my Vall Fabricator base like that, but it seems to work now. I don't remember having this issue with the stock pad, but maybe I just didn't notice and had enough thrust on any I launched that it broke free easily? *shrugs*

Also, (this for EL in general) When you load a ship up with X% of fuel could you spread this fuel evenly throughout all tanks... or maybe have a button to select this as an option? I've had several twin engined launchers that took off... on one engine as the other one had no fuel. Not terribly stable. :)

(Edit: BTW here is a quick shot of my Vall Fabricator, a collection of two ships sent from Kerbin, a pad and a miner/parts manufacturer, connected via KAS. After that I had the pad fabricate a solar power rover and a kethane miner rover to keep things going. I intend this to be the start point for a Laythe base mission. Might have to restart this after 0.21 of course *shrugs*. Oh, and that's Gus Kerman down on the right, doing the grunt work of connecting up all those KAS connectors... and fixing rover wheels that popped :) )

Vall_Fabricator.png

Edited by Patupi

I'm having a few problems with this Mod. I've got a fully functioning base established on Minmus, but I did it using the Runway instead of the launchpad because not only does the Runway fold up more effectively, but it allows you to forgo launching up a smelter or workshop because the runway does all of those functions on its own.

My first problem, is that no matter how I try to connect the runway module with my Kethane miner, the build menu will not recognize that there is fuel to be used for the build. It doesn't matter if I connect them with docking ports, KAS connectors, nothing will work. And yes, I tried connecting the KAS DIRECTLY onto the runway. So I think to myself, no problem, I can just connect my Kethane miner that stores all the fuel, to the newly built craft after it is built and fuel it up that way.

Then arises my second problem. It seems for SOME strange reason, that whenever the Kethane Miner and the new craft are docked via KAS, certain parts of the new craft will inexplicably begin to drift and tilt OFF of the new craft and runway. This wouldn't be a problem if I could just get the runway build menu to recognize that there is fuel that can be used during the initial build.

Can anyone help me out with this?

You need to connect fuel lines directly to the launchpad your using. I have been building all my launchpads with LF/O tanks for a base with fuels lines run up to the pad. Then you can plug all inbound resources into that LF/O tank.

Also if the Smelter bugs yall so much make another one until some better ones are released (im working on one...but its gonna be awhile lol). Right now Im using a 2.5m tank i made with Landos partgen for a smelter(i made it heavy to be fair).

Edited by KhaosCorp

Also, (this for EL in general) When you load a ship up with X% of fuel could you spread this fuel evenly throughout all tanks... or maybe have a button to select this as an option? I've had several twin engined launchers that took off... on one engine as the other one had no fuel. Not terribly stable. :)

Added as an issue.

Until then, I suggest you install TAC Fuel balancer. AFAIK with new version you do not need it as a part, so it does not to be on the design you are building.

Hey again. When it comes to connecting RocketParts to a Sphere Launchpad, do you need to use KAS to connect them to the sphere?

Edited by Benie

You need to connect fuel lines directly to the launchpad your using. I have been building all my launchpads with LF/O tanks for a base with fuels lines run up to the pad. Then you can plug all inbound resources into that LF/O tank.

Also if the Smelter bugs yall so much make another one until some better ones are released (im working on one...but its gonna be awhile lol). Right now Im using a 2.5m tank i made with Landos partgen for a smelter(i made it heavy to be fair).

How am I supposed to connect fuel lines to the runway/launchpad after it is constructed? The storage tanks that I am using to provide fuel for my constructions are intentionally separate from my launchpad module because the module becomes to unwieldy if I start adding all that weight to it. Not to mention I would still have to transfer the fuel mined by my Kethane Miner to those tanks via KAS anyway.

How am I supposed to connect fuel lines to the runway/launchpad after it is constructed? The storage tanks that I am using to provide fuel for my constructions are intentionally separate from my launchpad module because the module becomes to unwieldy if I start adding all that weight to it. Not to mention I would still have to transfer the fuel mined by my Kethane Miner to those tanks via KAS anyway.

You dont connect fuel lines after its constructed, you do that in VAB. And it does not have to be a big tank, just a little pancake tank is fine, just as long as you have fuel lines ran to it. And your going to have to transfer resources at some point, so whats it matter if your doing it into a tank or the pad? End result is the same.

I think the mod author stated a lack of interest in this, due to the Orbital Construction mod already being in existence.

I did find the source code for this I think: https://github.com/skykooler/Extraplanetary-Launchpads/tree/master/Launchpad

It looks like the magic happens at line 277...

// build craft
FlightState state = new FlightState();
ShipConstruct nship = ShipConstruction.LoadShip(uis.craftfile);
ShipConstruction.PutShipToGround(nship, this.part.transform);
// is this line causing bug #11 ?
ShipConstruction.AssembleForLaunch(nship, "External Launchpad", HighLogic.CurrentGame.flagURL, state);
Staging.beginFlight();
nship.parts[0].vessel.ResumeStaging();
Staging.GenerateStagingSequence(nship.parts[0].localRoot);
Staging.RecalculateVesselStaging(nship.parts[0].vessel);

I'm surprised that attempting to build in space even works, I would assume ShipConstruction.PutShipToGround would fail since there isn't any ground in orbit! :)

But if it does work, the following line much solve it...

nship.vessel.orbit = this.vessel.orbit;

Not in front of a computer where I could test this.

I worked on the Orbital Construction mod, and I tried making EL pads work in orbit. It spawns the ship at the right place, but the ship is stuck at "ready to launch", fixed over the planet, and refuses to stage, and I had no idea what to do with the API to convince the game that the ship should be flying.

I don't remember if I tried setting the orbit, but setting the orbit to the exact orbit of the spawning vessel sounds like it might cause them to intersect.

Could you please give this a shot and see if you can get it to work? The whole community would be very happy.

Hey again. When it comes to connecting RocketParts to a Sphere Launchpad, do you need to use KAS to connect them to the sphere?

You can use KAS (I attach them to the base the sphere is on), or docking ports should work as well. See the thread for the launchpad for some pics.

You dont connect fuel lines after its constructed, you do that in VAB. And it does not have to be a big tank, just a little pancake tank is fine, just as long as you have fuel lines ran to it. And your going to have to transfer resources at some point, so whats it matter if your doing it into a tank or the pad? End result is the same.

Did you read my post at all? Like I said, I don't want to add tanks to the runway module as it adds too much weight and balance issues that are already bad enough. Adding a tiny tank wouldn't solve the problem because I would still need to route extra fuel to the new construction via KAS in order to fully fuel it, which is causing my ships to disassemble themselves before even launching. Which, again, if you had read my post you would know that's why it matters.

The fuel line question was rhetorical, I know I can't add them after construction in the VAB, which is the problem. My launchpad module is already on Minmus, I can't alter it at this point.

Did you read my post at all? Like I said, I don't want to add tanks to the runway module as it adds too much weight and balance issues that are already bad enough. Adding a tiny tank wouldn't solve the problem because I would still need to route extra fuel to the new construction via KAS in order to fully fuel it, which is causing my ships to disassemble themselves before even launching. Which, again, if you had read my post you would know that's why it matters.

The fuel line question was rhetorical, I know I can't add them after construction in the VAB, which is the problem. My launchpad module is already on Minmus, I can't alter it at this point.

kas has a kind of port thats removable and re attachable, maybe that would help you

I did read your post, but somethings just cant be helped. Things work a certain way, you have to buid to accomodate this, not the other way around. There are some very small, very low mass tanks in the game that you should be able to use without throwing the craft out of balance. Sorry if I couldnt help. Sounds like you may need to relaunch your Minmus facility.

Also it sounds like your main issue here is with KAS, if that is in fact the case I would suggest also posting/reading in that thread.

kas has a kind of port thats removable and re attachable, maybe that would help you

You've completely missed the point here friend.... does anyone read before they post?

I did read your post, but somethings just cant be helped. Things work a certain way, you have to buid to accomodate this, not the other way around. There are some very small, very low mass tanks in the game that you should be able to use without throwing the craft out of balance. Sorry if I couldnt help. Sounds like you may need to relaunch your Minmus facility.

Also it sounds like your main issue here is with KAS, if that is in fact the case I would suggest also posting/reading in that thread.

You're right, the serious problem that I'm running into here is a result of KAS, but the only reason I'm even having to deal with it is because EL isn't functioning in the way I had hoped. I was hoping to find an alternative means to getting the launchpads to recognize available fuel during construction. If fuel lines are the ONLY means, then I will have to find a way to get KAS to stop acting so screwy.

Edit: Also it's worth mentioning that its not really a mass or balance issue in the normal way you would think of them happening. These spontaneous disassemblies are occuring before any fuel has even begun to transfer. They start happening as soon as things are docked together.

Edited by _Zee