[0.22] Extraplanetary Launchpads Legacy Thread

skykooler

You've completely missed the point here friend.... does anyone read before they post?

actually i did read your post, and what im suggesting is launch a small ship just big enough to land on the planet with a kas removable port and just move it onto the launch pad, i actually have done this already so i know it works

You can use KAS (I attach them to the base the sphere is on), or docking ports should work as well. See the thread for the launchpad for some pics.

Thanks! Attaching them directly to the base works. :D That's one less rocket to Duna I'll need to do.

You've completely missed the point here friend.... does anyone read before they post?

You're right, the serious problem that I'm running into here is a result of KAS, but the only reason I'm even having to deal with it is because EL isn't functioning in the way I had hoped. I was hoping to find an alternative means to getting the launchpads to recognize available fuel during construction. If fuel lines are the ONLY means, then I will have to find a way to get KAS to stop acting so screwy.

Edit: Also it's worth mentioning that its not really a mass or balance issue in the normal way you would think of them happening. These spontaneous disassemblies are occuring before any fuel has even begun to transfer. They start happening as soon as things are docked together.

Idea: Docking ports. One on the launchpad, one on the bottom of your tanker. You'll unfortunately need to make it a VTOL tanker, rather than a more conventional truck. However,if you park atop the pad such that your docking ports connect, it should do the trick. I just thought of this now, so I haven't tested it; what I'd done before is "launch" another launchpad with a bunch of fuel tanks on it, sitting atop a truck, and then I detached it from the truck upon driving off the original launchpad.

actually i did read your post, and what im suggesting is launch a small ship just big enough to land on the planet with a kas removable port and just move it onto the launch pad, i actually have done this already so i know it works

You're still completely missing the point of my post.... But since you seem to be stuck on the KAS Removable Radial Port; Yes, I know what it is. Yes, I know how to use it. No, it has nothing to do with my problem.

Hey all, just curious if anyone has had a chance to try many of the various available launchpad/runway parts - and if any of them are more 'gentle' with rovers/wheels/general launch? Or, are they all the same, as it's probably within the mod itself?

Going to give the sphere ones a try Farnsworth, they look great.

Idea: Docking ports. One on the launchpad, one on the bottom of your tanker. You'll unfortunately need to make it a VTOL tanker, rather than a more conventional truck. However,if you park atop the pad such that your docking ports connect, it should do the trick. I just thought of this now, so I haven't tested it; what I'd done before is "launch" another launchpad with a bunch of fuel tanks on it, sitting atop a truck, and then I detached it from the truck upon driving off the original launchpad.

Dock the fuel tanks on top of the pad??? How on earth would that work? How would there be room for newly constructed craft? Lol sorry, either your idea makes no sense or I'm gonna need some kind of visual aid. Haha

Unfortunately I don't think docking ports would work. Not sure, but in the past when I've tried to put various parts clipped into the pad structure near the folding section they exploded when the pad unfolded. Since you can't see the top surface of the pad when it's folded I'm pretty sure it would have to be seriously clipped to be able to get a docking port in there in the VAB/SPH.

Has anyone been able to create a config for the large kethane drill to be a dedicated ore drill? I've tried suggestions further up in the thread but to no avail. I can get it to say it will work in the VAB, but then the vehicle will not launch and it ends up crashing the program. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

A query Skykooler. You (and others) have mentioned that at present you can't build a launchpad equipped craft from a launchpad. Is that going to be remedied in future? I'm curious about whether you've decided it's a design feature (limiting growth and forcing you to use the VAB for SOMETHING! :) ) or whether you're redesigning it so such 'staging' of construction will be possible.

This should work fine in the latest version. You weren't able to do so in the earlier testing build, because launchpads spawned full of resources, and they would therefore require more resources than the other launchpad could provide.

Um Zee? What everyone's been talking about, using KAS, I've just confirmed that the winches connected via the stock radial plate couplers (forget what they are called) doesn't allow that section to share fuel with the pad, even when connected to a tank that is part of the stack that the pad (or runway in this case) is connected to. Not sure if connecting to a winch that is stacked will work instead. Have to try that.

Haven't tried putting the connectors directly on the bottom of the pad yet to see if that will work.

Um Zee? What everyone's been talking about, using KAS, I've just confirmed that the winches connected via the stock radial plate couplers (forget what they are called) doesn't allow that section to share fuel with the pad, even when connected to a tank that is part of the stack that the pad (or runway in this case) is connected to. Not sure if connecting to a winch that is stacked will work instead. Have to try that.

Haven't tried putting the connectors directly on the bottom of the pad yet to see if that will work.

Yes, KhaosCorp has since explained that using KAS in that way will never work unless either EL or KAS are updated to work differently in regards to fuel transfer. The tanks connected to the same stack of the pad would also need to have fuel lines running from them to the pad itself. KAS cannot do anything about this unless KAS gets updated to act exactly like fuel lines do, or EL updates the way it requests fuel during construction.

If anyone wants to see some explosions, try loading something on a launchpad with the Deadly Re-Entry Mod enabled! (I guess there is a point where it experiences a lot of g's - which is consistent with wheels popping, ect.)

I've just noticed a bug with the current EL. Once a pad has built more than one item, then you bring the build menu up, sometimes it can be 'blank'. IE, you click on a ship to select and nothing comes up in the panel for fuel shifting. I think this is when it's the same ship I built last time with this pad (not too sure on that point). If I then select a different ship, that ship's fuel, rocket parts requirements etc comes up. All well and good, but if you then try to reselect the ship that wouldn't come up before it comes up in the title, but the cost of construction stays with the second ship design you brought up. After hitting 'build' the ship is fully fuelled if that type of fuel was at 100% on the slider, even if the design showing used much less fuel that what was built! I selected a large pad to send to Laythe via my Minmus Pad, and as a secondary build selection picked the stock station core... which only needs rocket parts and electric charge! It fully fuelled the whole ship for free, more than the pad could supply!

Here I have the launchpad connected to the smelter via KAS

The smelter is connected via KAS to a Kethane production facility (double upright HOME admin unit) making LFO & Monofuel

The smelter is also connect via KAS to a tall structure containing triple stacked empty Ore, Metal and part tanks

The smelter is also connected via KAS to a large LFO tank (HOME Admin unit)

All this makes complete ready to launch craft using the Extraplanetary launch pad.

Took ages to land and then tow this stuff into position on Duna (no hyper edit used!!)

583FE8F3CC5B55EA8EFBACA009985EEFC7E4E078

8A5151507EA8AE1A4C781050A8A6F70BBA44A9D6

Edited by Azazael

Looks awesome Azazael,

That's pretty much what I'm going for now - given up on the docking ports and trying to make a large connected base (the physics always break me). KAS seems like a better alternative, and if you plan the modules right only requires limited use. I like the foil look on your modules too - I think I'll have to check out the HOME mod just for that.

I don't know if anyone else has had this bug, but it appears that the VAB/SPH have a node connection issue with the parts where it attaches but doesn't stay, and the nodes disappear. Also, it crashes the VAB/SPH at times and prevents any of the buttons from working.

Anyone Have a craft file for getting the smelter onto the Mun, I can get everything else there fine. Just the smelter has been causing me headaches for about the last 2 days lol.

EDIT: Completely disregard my comment, just after posting that i thought I would give it one last shot and managed to land on the MUN, YEEE HAAAW. Now to start plugging all this stuff together :P

Edited by Andayle

Bug report: When the rocketpart requirement is 7 digits (including . and two decimal places) or more, the text wraps and you can only see the lower half of each number. I don't know if it wants 6k or 8k parts. I do recognize it when it wants some 12k parts.

Which brings me to my question: How exactly is the rocketparts requirement calculated?

I've built several small utility vehicles without problems (other than getting them off the pad, my "robot" with canadarms has helped a lot with that) but the parts requirement scales to ridiculous.

Is it exponential off the ships dry mass or something?

Edit: Turns out to be SRBs that kill it. Are we paying 1 rocketpart per unit of solid fuel or something?

Edited by MaHuJa

Bug report: When the rocketpart requirement is 7 digits (including . and two decimal places) or more, the text wraps and you can only see the lower half of each number. I don't know if it wants 6k or 8k parts. I do recognize it when it wants some 12k parts.

Which brings me to my question: How exactly is the rocketparts requirement calculated?

I've built several small utility vehicles without problems (other than getting them off the pad, my "robot" with canadarms has helped a lot with that) but the parts requirement scales to ridiculous.

Is it exponential off the ships dry mass or something?

Edit: Turns out to be SRBs that kill it. Are we paying 1 rocketpart per unit of solid fuel or something?

I may have done that, because you obviously can't treat solid fuel like the other resources. I'll look and see whether I can fix that.

I may have done that, because you obviously can't treat solid fuel like the other resources. I'll look and see whether I can fix that.

Yep, it seems I did do that. I've changed it to multiply by SolidFuel's density by default; that will be in the next version.

I tried launching a rocket from orbit but failed because it couldn't do it :(

That is correct. This cannot launch things from orbit. This has been said probably sixty times already.