[0.22] Extraplanetary Launchpads Legacy Thread

skykooler

KhaosCorp: You'll have to do some hunting. I think I'll release my current stuff today despite my electrical problems (they might be limited to craft with alternators). Unfortunately, I won't be able to update the OP, so I'll just have to repost every couple of pages :/.

HadrianF: I believe it's meant to be hell to get off Kerbin (it certainly feels right to me). Instead, build it on site. It's only 10t (4000u of parts (one medium spherical tank holds 4800u, which allows for another 2t of accessories: rocket workshop + KAS connectors and winch and then some)). And 12t of metal is pretty easy to ship, too. Two large hexcans and Bob's your uncle.

Yes, that means you have to do some mining and smelting on Kerbin, but that's part of a bootstrap operation :)

So, as I launched a pad to the Mun to and due to a slip of the keyboard, I crashed the pad...and at that point, I found that my star kerbalnaught (Jebediah) was one of two Kerbals that biffed it. As they did not show up as being on board, I was wondering if it is possible to make sure that any kerbals assigned to the launch pads show up on the screen as kerbals assigned to other pod sections show in the lower right.

And sorry if this is answered else where, but I did not see it in the posts.

And the mod rocks otherwise :)

Cade

Where are all these parts that I'm missing? :huh: The thread download seems to be missing parts, and I have to use the spaceport download to get a launchpad. Could somebody point me towards the most recent launchpad, containers etc. Anything would be helpful :)

A Fat Pokemon: I'll soon be doing an interim release with all fixes gathered together. I'm just chasing a certain complaint about resource quantities. In the meantime, yes, everything is a tad scattered.

cadehuff: yeah, skykooler hasn't done an IVA scene for it yet because the cockpit moves and he'd need to do some pretty fancy tricks (more plugins) to get it working.

mimblgrimpf and anyone else who is still having explosions and/or built ships appearing at strange places and angles: After I got all the latest versions of this mod installed I still had some problems with any craft that contained a smelter. After many many tests I found that the problem only occured when I built the craft starting with the smelter as the first piece. You must use a regular command pod as the first piece of the craft. The smelter can only be added to your partly built craft by one of its three nodes. After that you can build a smelter craft at the landed launch pad with no problems.

Apologies if this is already answered somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it - Has anyone actually posted files for spherical tanks of rocket parts? (Or indeed for any very large rocket part container...) I thought I saw a couple of people mention it, but I'm not sure of the numbers myself...

Ok, I have created version 3.1. all-in-one download. source code (source does not have all models). This is released under the GNU GPL.

Release notes:

• The smelter and rocket workshop now work with Kethane 0.7.7. No particle effects yet, sorry.
  • All-ship resource (including LFO) collection and placement: the pad can collect fuel across KAS lines.
  • Building craft that store rocket parts is supported: the slider controls how much is stored. ie, 0% means to store no rocket parts, only the rocket parts needed to build the craft are used. When building craft that do not store rocket parts, adjustment is not possible (no slider).
  • Craft with no liquid fuel no longer produce null reference exceptions (and thus can be built).
  • All containers have capacities appropriate to the new densities.
  • Config files for spherical tanks have been added. As they clone the existing models and textures, the original spherical tank mod is required for them to be available. All three resource types and the five tanks sizes (large, medium, small, medium hemi, small hemi), with correct node sizes (the original tanks all use size 1).
  • Huge hexcans for the three resource types. They are twice the length of the large cans and thus hold eight times the quantity. The huge rocket parts hexcan holds 4.25t of parts, 45.75t of ore, and a whopping 66.3t of metal.
  • The new pad's LFO balanced has been tweaked such that the proportions are the correct 9:11 ratio.
  • Craft with missing parts (ie, missing addons) produce a list similar to attempting to load such craft in the VAB or SPH.

Known issues:

• Partial fills are done on a first-come-first-serve basis (ie, as tanks are found). No attempt is made to guess where fuel should go, or even to spread it evenly. For the former, well, I'll let you suffer the hair loss if you wish to implement it. For the later, that's a job best left to TAC Fuel Balancer (source of information on direct resource access, thank you TaranisElsu). In other words, this is not a bug. It is by design, but it does mean you will have to check and balance your built craft before launch if you do partial fills.
  • The old launchpad is not there since it wasn't there in v3. If you want it back, or anything else is missing, please let me know.
  • Some craft may have trouble with the control inputs getting locked on throttle up. So far, this happens to me only on craft with an empty command pod+MJ+alternators (ie, jet engines). Unless I'm missing a step in starting things up properly, this may actually be a stock bug. The same craft launched from the KSC pad with kerbal on board was showing symptoms of the same problem.
  • Crafter that have no resources other than RocketParts (base construction units) get a funny layout in the build gui. This is merely cosmetic and does not hinder craft construction in any known way.
  • Canceling a craft load when a craft is already loaded clears the build gui.
  • The pad defaults to debug mode (no resources required). Just delete the "debug = true" from "Extraplanetary Launchpads/Parts/launchpad2/part.cfg"

I think that's everything.

Happy bootstrapping :)

Edited by taniwha
mention the license

Umm... Is building rockets out of nothing intended? I use the new launchpad (the one with engines) and i can build anything without even having enough resources. Everything is fuelled and ready to go.

It is the way it should be, or it only subtracts resources if available and build rockets anyway?

That is something I didn't quite feel like touching, even though I very much want to rip the feature out.

Just remove the "debug = true" line from the launchpad's part.cfg (Extraplanetary Launchpads/Parts/launchpad2/part.cfg).

That is something I didn't quite feel like touching, even though I very much want to rip the feature out.

Just remove the "debug = true" line from the launchpad's part.cfg (Extraplanetary Launchpads/Parts/launchpad2/part.cfg).

Thank you very much, it totally works now!

Umm... Is building rockets out of nothing intended? I use the new launchpad (the one with engines) and i can build anything without even having enough resources. Everything is fuelled and ready to go.

It is the way it should be, or it only subtracts resources if available and build rockets anyway?

The debug is turned on. Edit the landing pad cfg file and make sure both debugs = False and you will use parts

The pad defaults to debug mode (no resources required).

Might it be more convenient to check for the presence of Kethane and default the setting on that basis? (To me, it makes most sense to default debug=false and let people launch cans full of rocket parts if they don't want to mine for resources; if the cans come pre-filled, this seems like the obvious choice rather than doing a Kethane check.)

The main problem with the smelter I have is that I cannot attach a command module to the top section, only to the sides. It does `snap' to the command module but doesn't register itself as being connected.

Majiir: hmm, good idea. I'll look into that.

HadrianF: I haven't tried this yet for the smelter (but I have for the pad), but you don't actually need to have a command module on it, especially if you build the smelter on site. Just stick a KAS connector on it in a convenient spot, maybe some legs, then build it on-site and drag it off the pad. Once you've connected your command module to the smelter via KAS in docked mode, you'll have full control of the smelter.

The main problem with the smelter I have is that I cannot attach a command module to the top section, only to the sides. It does `snap' to the command module but doesn't register itself as being connected.

you can get around that by making sure your smeltor is the first part selected (ROOT) for your craft

Ugh. It seems like I can't get anything to work with this mod, as much as I want to use it. Ore scanners dont work, and I can't find any documentation about how to fix them. For the actual launch pad itsself, I feel like I can't put a docking port on it without it being heavily tipped over. Any halp?

Awesome mod!

I saw version 3.1 go released! I haven't installed it yet, but do you know if the random explosions bug go fixed?

I think it might be related to the launch struts intersecting the pad. I had one craft I could load, then I changed the launch struts and boom!

on another side not my kerbal, Lt. Jeb, got clumsy and dropped a KAS removable coupler on the pad and it exploded! He's ok, little shaken, but ok.

Thanks for the hard work!

(p.s. forgive me if anything in this post is a re-peat, I didn't take long in my search, I've got kerbals running amuck ;)

It may have been discussed already, but I can't find it:

It's impossible to build TocketParts containers from the launchpad. Or anything that has rocket parts in it, other launchpads included. That is... not nice. Can it be somehow fixed or bypassed?