[0.22] Extraplanetary Launchpads Legacy Thread

skykooler

KAS mod? Not sure I know that one. Will look for it.

Edit:AH, Kerbal Attachment System, I have seen it, (read the description before) haven't used it.

Do I need it to make a functional base? If so It should be listed as a necessary or very least recommended Mod.

Its not required, but it sure makes hooking stuff up on planet a hell of alot easyer that without it.....without it you have to build all parts of your base with docking ports in JUST the right spot. With KAS you dont even have to think about it in VAB, as your kerbals can place pipe endpoints during EVA.

I still miss the kethane parts being able to scan and drill up the ore, as the augers I have NEVER been able to get to work right, and the ore scanner now in the pack is a nightmare size, as well as break off with a sneeze

I still miss the kethane parts being able to scan and drill up the ore, as the augers I have NEVER been able to get to work right, and the ore scanner now in the pack is a nightmare size, as well as break off with a sneeze

Honestly I use the Kethane scanners and drills for Ore as well...if you can copy and paste (if not you probably shouldnt be using a computer =P) it takes about 2 seconds per part to add the ore functionality to the Kethane parts.

Honestly I use the Kethane scanners and drills for Ore as well...if you can copy and paste (if not you probably shouldnt be using a computer =P) it takes about 2 seconds per part to add the ore functionality to the Kethane parts.

That always felt like too much of a end-run for me, but maybe I could justify to myself removing the Kethane ability from the big drill and big scanner, and make those do Ore work instead. I do remember being annoyed at the sheer size of the gravity-based detector, as cool as it looked opening.

That always felt like too much of a end-run for me, but maybe I could justify to myself removing the Kethane ability from the big drill and big scanner, and make those do Ore work instead. I do remember being annoyed at the sheer size of the gravity-based detector, as cool as it looked opening.

You dont even need to remove anything. You can just make a copy of the part.cfg, name it part2.cfg change the Part Name, the Resource Name value (inside the "KethaneExtractor" module) from Kethane to Ore, and you got another drill that uses the same model and texture, so it doesnt waste ram.

Example for the big drill (note the Bold lines) :

// --- general parameters ---
[B]name = Ore_heavyDrill[/B]
MODULE
{
name = KethaneExtractor
PowerConsumption = 24
Resource
{
[B]Name = Ore[/B]
Rate = 5
}
HeadTransform = heavyDrillHead
TailTransform = heavyDrillShaft4
}

As for the scan part, you can add another resource to the detector module ("KethaneDetector"):

MODULE
{
name = KethaneDetector
....blalbablab...
.........blabal
......blaalblablabla.....................................
[B]Resource
{
Name = Kethane
}
Resource
{
Name = Ore
}[/B]
}

And scan for both kethane and ore at the same time. (Thanks to Khaos for tiping me the code syntax)

EDIT: Of course i could just Quote this helpfull post instead, but im an idiot and i just remembered it heh... LINK

Nice pointer for making the ore drill puff Red smoke.

Edited by Thourion
Im an idiot :)

Wow thanks. This will be useful but I just installed the mod and have not had time to test it. I am not however new to KSP been playing since 0.15 so am a great pilot and dont need a tutorial on how to fly and land this stuff. But what I do need is a written, or a pictorial or a video tutorial on how all this stuff goes together. I have used the Kethane mod before so I know how that works and I have looked at the parts in this mode and get how some of them work as well. But how do the different parts get hooked together. I see you have hoses running all over the place, how did you hook those up would be a good start. I have done better writing than what I am doing here so if I could get a basic explanation I probably could write a tutorial with pics once I got the system down. (don't have time to write well now my three children are causing havoc)

hm i guess i could write a short tutorial if people are interested. it has to be said though, for this mod i recommend a lot of "tweaking", like using kethane drills for ore and the like. this is mostly because the vanilla-mod parts are a bit tricky to combine/ and or its much easier to get a working rig with matching 2.5m parts ;-). KAS is an absolute must have, without it your launchpad might get thrown around, KAS lets you fix it to a surface and of course transfer resources like a pro.

Is anyone else having problems with the Launch Pad 2 in EL 3.4? It seems extremely unstable to me. KSP refuses to recognize when it is landed on the ground, saying it is on a collision course. It wobbles all over the place, and anything I try to build with it tends to explode and send parts flying several hundred meters into the air. I also tried building a lander with a Launch Pad 2 attached in space using the new orbital launchpad. A similar explosive effect happened here, scattering parts of my space station over a very wide range with seemingly no cause.

You dont even need to remove anything. You can just make a copy of the part.cfg, name it part2.cfg change the Part Name, the Resource Name value (inside the "KethaneExtractor" module) from Kethane to Ore, and you got another drill that uses the same model and texture, so it doesnt waste ram.

You dont even have to have 2 configs to use this method, you can have multiple PART{} entrys per config file. When cloning parts make sure you change BOTH names in config for the clone.

Also, LP2 is a bit unstable when put directly on ground (I think due to colliders), I ususally build a little base for LP2 so its not actually touching terrain.

Here seems to be the question of the hour.

Is there a way to fold EP into the tech tree? OR is it already in there? I havevn't worked my modded version much past 1000 science pts so I may just not have reached it yet.

Thanx for the help

Alacrity

Here seems to be the question of the hour.

Is there a way to fold EP into the tech tree? OR is it already in there? I havevn't worked my modded version much past 1000 science pts so I may just not have reached it yet.

Thanx for the help

Alacrity

I haven't gotten to whatever node(s) they're in, but the code for them to be in nodes is in the part files so I can only assume I (and you) will unlock them eventually.

Experimental rocketry is a node that's way up in the "endgame". That's where you'll find EPL stuff. That's the level where individual techs cost 1000 points, on the branch that goes with improved rockets. (I suggest going for the science tools first, will help a lot in reaching it sooner rather than later even though it's a detour.)

Experimental.... SIGH...That is gonna take a minute

Alacrity

How so? By tier 4 you can make 700+ per flight not even trying. Takes 2.5-3 hours to unlock full tree in stock install...and I wasnt going as fast as possible either...

I am using remote tech... HAving to do extra launches at each hurdle to keeps comms active.

Alacrity

You can make REALLY small relay satellites to extend your command signal, enabling you to launch several stacked ontop of each other in a single launch, even with early parts in the tree. By tier 3 or 4, even with just stock + RT2 parts you should be able to launch several relay sats at once....by time you have all of tier4 parts you should be able to set up a solid relay around the Mun in a single launch, Kerbin in 2 or 3 launches..depending on how solid a network you want. Also, when setting up or extending your coverage network its best (imo) to use a manned 'command' craft to deploy the relay sats.

Actually, I threw the stuff into Experimental Rocketry because I didn't know where else to put them. However, as KhaosCorp says, getting enough science to unlock them isn't too hard.

I'm currently working on designing up some "recipes" to make EL a little interesting (eg, using MgO, H2O, Cl2, and a lot of electricity to convert CO2 into C and O2, and then the C is used to refine FeOn. The interesting thing is everything (but the electricity) in the CO2 -> C + O2 converter would be recycled, but Mg has other uses, so making things separate could make for more interesting play. Then there's also Al, Ti, etc :)

Anyway, once I get some basics sorted out, I might be able to decide on how to spread EL throughout the stock tech tree.

Actually, I threw the stuff into Experimental Rocketry because I didn't know where else to put them. However, as KhaosCorp says, getting enough science to unlock them isn't too hard.

I'm currently working on designing up some "recipes" to make EL a little interesting (eg, using MgO, H2O, Cl2, and a lot of electricity to convert CO2 into C and O2, and then the C is used to refine FeOn. The interesting thing is everything (but the electricity) in the CO2 -> C + O2 converter would be recycled, but Mg has other uses, so making things separate could make for more interesting play. Then there's also Al, Ti, etc :)

Anyway, once I get some basics sorted out, I might be able to decide on how to spread EL throughout the stock tech tree.

How are you planning on determining which parts need what materials?