[0.22] Extraplanetary Launchpads Legacy Thread

skykooler

Yes, but then it's not working. It uses the same setup as the other launchpad, still requiring an external smelter, ore drill, and the rest. And I've tried to send them up in smaller pieces, and they fly apart or explode.

I'm having a bit of a problem, for some reason it doesn't like using fuel. The rocket parts are supplied by the small vehicle connected with KAS, it also has a fuel tank but for some reason no fuel is going to the rocket. The only reason it says there is any fuel is because I stuck an oscar-b on the launcher in the hopes it would fix it. But it didn't.

4by.png

I keep running into prblems with the pads. with the + shaped one, I have to add drills, smelters, and all the trimmings, making it almost impossible for me to land it without some kind of cheat. But then the folding runway, it seems to be almost as impossible for me to get down, but once landed, ANY wheeled vehicle made on it seems to break, either the tires warping, exploding, or being totally weird, even when tested on Kerbal first. I'd love to see the Hooligan launchpad with the capabilities internally of the EL runway, or smaller, less obnoxiously difficult setups for building a good base with

I'm not really familiar with how Kethane and the like works. Is there an explanation of how to make a complete EP compatible pack?

I'm having a bit of a problem, for some reason it doesn't like using fuel. The rocket parts are supplied by the small vehicle connected with KAS, it also has a fuel tank but for some reason no fuel is going to the rocket. The only reason it says there is any fuel is because I stuck an oscar-b on the launcher in the hopes it would fix it. But it didn't.

4by.png

You need to add fuel lines going from the tanks to the launchpad itself; the plugin respects standard resource flow rules. If you have a KAS port, you probably need to add fuel lines from the port to the launchpad, but I'm not sure; I haven't used KAS since 0.18.2.

I am not sure. I know when I loaded the updated EL, the HL pads converted and did the same engine, but they used the + shaped one's requirements, needing an external rig. I'm haitng the external rigs, since they don't like to animate, the smelter having a large, obmoxious setup, with very weird attach poits that make it hard to set up for launching.

The runway in EL, on the other hand, seems to have everything. But, for some reason, any wheeled or tracked items have either warped wheels, warped treads, or popped wheels, even when tested and found working on Kerbal. So, for now, I'm having to make everything with struts, and fudging around with trying to move without crashing inoto the surface, which is a major puzzle.

Edited by Srilania

You need to add fuel lines going from the tanks to the launchpad itself; the plugin respects standard resource flow rules. If you have a KAS port, you probably need to add fuel lines from the port to the launchpad, but I'm not sure; I haven't used KAS since 0.18.2.

Yeah I'll give that a try.

Hey guys, just wanted to share quick on this. I've found what I think is a decent set of parts to 'hack' into this mod for tanks/converters: the Spherical Fuel tanks. That is, for those of you who don't already use them. Here's what I'm doing with it and it seems to look pretty good. Listed below, all are the Spherical Fuel tanks and their various skins. (http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/0-20-0-spherical-fuel-tank/) and then there are also other skins, find them in forum here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/30673-0-20-0-Spherical-Fuel-Tank-(v1-6)

Small Ore Tank: small sphere, stock

Large Ore Tank: large sphere, stock

Metal Tank (medium): medium sphere, oxygen skin

Small RocketPart Container: small sphere, white

Large RocketPart Container: large sphere, white

Small Ore Refinery: medium half-sphere, stock

Large Ore Refinery: large ringed sphere, stock

Small RocketPart Workshop: medium half-sphere, white

Large RocketPart Factory: large ringed sphere, white

Visually they work pretty well, and if you put them all together into a refining process it looks pretty balanced. I'd share the part files but I think that would require permission. Just thought I'd share for others who are looking for a good fit.

(Edit, also part of the reason for choosing these as parts is that there is also another skin for Kethane sphere tanks. They look good for resources in general :P)

Edited by Krisism

Here's my Payload sitting on the launchpad ready for liftoff to the Mun as soon as I make a couple of habitation modules to send up as well.. :)

Doesn't have the Kethane stuff active as I not figured out how to do any of that yet..

Weighs in at 1014.29 Tons...

xp7d.png

Any ideas how I can get the Kethane converter or smelter to require more than 1 resource for a conversion? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated :D

The Kethane mod only supports 1 in, 1 out at the moment.

If we want combining of resources, we have to write our own module to do that.

The Kethane mod only supports 1 in, 1 out at the moment.

If we want combining of resources, we have to write our own module to do that.

Yeah I asked in the Kethane thread and was told that it is a planned feature, so my over complicated resource ideas will have to wait a little while xD

Actually, I think the Hexcans are licensed as such that you can use them for this project, and there's already hexcans in the EL plugin. some small hexcans with different refining and ore extraction rates? would be pretty darn good.

Since you need to have the containers there to store ore, metal and rocketparts, it'd be really nice to be able to carry empty ones so you're not having to lug all that extra weight with your pad to your remote site. That or have a small amount of storage built in to the pad itself. Seems stupid to have to carry ore with you to another planet where you're setting up a mining facility... should have empty tanks ala kethane.

...or am I missing something?

There are a lot of ways to have empty containers, from mods like Empty Tanks (sorry no link) to ModularFuelTanks, but in this case since you're making something custom, you just make it empty to begin with.

For those that don't know, you define a part's capacity to hold resource with this:

RESOURCE
{
name = ResourceName
amount = AmountItStartsWith
maxAmount = AmountItCanHold
}

So if you want it empty, you just set amount = 0, and it'll be empty on the pad.

Again, if you want it to vary, ModularFuelTanks is best, it lets you manipulate levels in the VAB/SPH to fit your needs, but if the part should always start empty, this is the way to do it.

Greys, a lot of people grabbed the testing version, with one HUGE ore body, and full tanks, instead of empties, for debugging purpouses. the latest version available, however, has empty tanks and normal ore bodies.

And as far as complaining about mass produced parts and portable fabrication facilities, realize that the ISS is currently about to get a 3d printer that can handle steel and alloys as well as plastics, without needing all those fancies.

Edited by Srilania
extra info

I don't know if this has been brought up, but it seems if I don't select a (stock) craft, nothing wants to show requirements for building. But, once I do, any OTHER item I choose, it pulls the requirements needed from the last (stock) item loaded, and nothing more.

I'm not sure about adding the Kethane detector, etc to my launch pad... It seems those should be handled by separate parts, like in the Kethane pack. That is the Kerbal way.

And as far as complaining about mass produced parts and portable fabrication facilities, realize that the ISS is currently about to get a 3d printer that can handle steel and alloys as well as plastics, without needing all those fancies.

Indeed, electricity, "metal" and the appropriate fuel should be all that it needs for most things... http://news.yahoo.com/3d-printer-passes-zero-gravity-test-space-station-103258203.html

Do not confuse it with the 3D food printer.

There is also a 3D-printing device using combination of magnesium and sand to create rock-like substance useful for building...well, buildings :D Lunar base 3D-printed from local dust anyone?

Plastic from kethane, maybe split ore into metal and some kind of rock which you refine into silicon. Silicon, metal and copious amounts of power to electronics. Electronics, metal and plastic into rocketparts.

That's a decidedly un-kerbal way of doing things.

Heh, I stay away from the forum for a couple of days, come up with something to add and find someone already did a couple of pages back. *sigh* Ah well, My two cents on possible future resources (surprisingly similar to SchroedingersHat's... Promise I thought of it before I saw that!)

I know Kethane is currently only configured for one resource at a time, and for one in and one out, but I was considering what would be needed and what would be good game playing work when multi resource is available. There certainly should be some variation in parts used for construction.

1) 'Structure' for plates, fuel tanks, and kerbal carrying modules.

2) 'Components' for engines and miscellaneous mechanical stuff (ie damn robotics stuff)

3) 'Electronics' for ion drives, control systems and flight capsules (and maybe damn robotics stuff)

4) and 'Doodads' for kerbal containers... ie anything that Kerbals need like seats, manual controls, fuzzy dice etc.

OK, then what to make these from? Well, I think there should be some variance in availability, and I'm not just talking about what's common on certain worlds. For example the main resources should be metal and minerals, and those you'd likely need in fairly large quantities. They'd also be fairly common on most worlds and be easy and quick to mine.

You could also have gold for electronics. It's rare, takes a LONG time to mine, but you wouldn't need much to build anything, just make sure you have some on hand. Similarly for structure you might need Titanium in addition to metal (light weight construction) but again, tricky to mine and you wouldn't need much of it (alloying with metal? *shrugs* just need an excuse to make some kind of rare material for that component. True you'd need more Titanium for structure and fuel tankage on most rockets, just thinking more game-play dynamics here). People have mentioned plastics and I admit I didn't think of that, but it'd be good for Doodads.

You'd end up with a construction facility with large tankage for Metal and Minerals, with small tanks for Gold, Minerals and Plastic. Probably Mine mainly for Metal ore and Minerals (would it be processed minerals finally? Or go with Minerals and mineral ore? *shrugs*) On site or nearby, then ship in the others from nearby mining sites... assuming you aren't near enough to Kerbin to ship parts directly from home rather than making them.

Overall I think this would make things difficult enough to make making a base challenging, but not overly difficult. You don't want TOO many parts required, but you need some variation.

On the same thought, I've noticed on every game I've played with this and Kethane that the ore and Kethane patches don't overlap. Is this hard coded or just coincidence? In the future could there be a 'sweet spot' on a planet where two or three resources could be mined on the same spot? That would make finding a site for manufacturing more interesting, finding a place where at least the main ores are present on site, then just have small mining outposts in rover or SSTO range to ship materials in.