Uh Oh.... This is not good...

Tokay Gris

screenshot1005.png

And this somewhere in Kerbol orbit, waiting for the transfer point to Jool....

And now for the interesting problem to sent a rescue ship. Will take a a third of a year to get within 10.000 km. Which I think is not so bad. And maybe the mission (this is the "Colin Campbell") can be salvaged and the fuel transported to Jool anyway.

The rescue ship is identical (plus a few more struts, of course!) to the cruiser here... So just switch the payloads, get the crew and off it goes!

Why burn in Kerbol orbit? It's much cheaper to burn in low Kerbin orbit, and you have a better chance of saving the mission if something goes wrong.

Edit: You could also just send up to fuel tanks with LV-N's mounted on them and dock them to the side of the vehicle, that way the entire thing doesn't go to waste.

It was a slingshot test. Obviously, the strain of doing a low slingshot around Mun was too much.

Salvage is not a problem: It is a modular design anyway. Payload consist of 18 X200-32 and two Jumbos, plus Hitchhiker and a Cupola.

I will just swap the engine part.

It's this one:

screenshot938.png

The rescue mission is basically just the bottom half with more struts....

You could try to dock two ships radially in those docking point just above the break. They would be your new engines.

With lots of care and Quantum Struts, it could work.

I think is fun to try to do some crazy stuff just to see what will happen.

Hm... Well, as it is, this vessel is sluggish as hell. Burn time for the Hohman transfer to Jool was 65 minutes. Which means (with that many parts) more like 4 hours.

And suddenly the center of view shifts....

So with smaller engines, burn times will be maybe a week?

Better just change the bottom half. I can still salvage the fuel.

Two main sails engines would have more trust them the present 6 nuclear engines, so your burn would be shorter.

You would expend more fuel, I think, as I don't know if 2 main sail burning for 10 minutes wouldn't be better than 6 nuclear burning for 65 minutes. I'm not that much of a pro to have this figure it out.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.