The L.O.G. Multiplayer Project

MarkusA380

Do you like the idea of it?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the idea of it?

I'd just like to note that I was never involved in such a project yet, that is to say that I have no clue of how to implement the graphics into the code. I can do the general design, but you need to tell me precisely what I have to do for the final graphics. Are there any useful tutorials for this?

Our flag on Gilly:

uPCD637.png

So I'm willing to be the bad guy and impose a reality check on the dev team(including myself).

Does anyone have know-how of developing server-side, or peer-to-peer networking architecture for games or other software? If not this might just be too much of a challenge learning this from scratch.

I have experience with implementing database functionality into client-side software, but that's about it. Basically what I'm asking is if anyone has an idea of how to start. Also I do recommend using github, or either tfs(visual studio) for source control if this goes trough, dropbox is an impossible mess when working in a team and mine's already full.

@DrDima "developing server-side, or peer-to-peer networking" this is really not the issue, we have tcp/ip and it works great when not abused to much.

We do need to start a discussion about how we are going to implement all this.

Please create a account at github and add yourself to the following repo: https://github.com/StellarDevil/L.O.G.-Multiplayer

So I'm willing to be the bad guy and impose a reality check on the dev team(including myself).

Does anyone have know-how of developing server-side, or peer-to-peer networking architecture for games or other software? If not this might just be too much of a challenge learning this from scratch.

I have experience with implementing database functionality into client-side software, but that's about it. Basically what I'm asking is if anyone has an idea of how to start. Also I do recommend using github, or either tfs(visual studio) for source control if this goes trough, dropbox is an impossible mess when working in a team and mine's already full.

So, I am in a programming "school" and I am learning exactly that: Getting variables from one computer to another one (Thats maybe why I started this project, because I knew that I would need myself to do such things because just a very few are specialized on this). I am not at the point to say: "I can do it myself", but I will be able to in the next month or so.

Until I don't know how to do it we will have to find out how to get more than one ship per map controlled, thats for example why we need some remote-control code. :wink:

Edited by MarkusA380

from the stuff my dad does this the idea most server stuff does

when you log in you get the persistance file

plugin converts your changes in world to a low-data file that is sent to a main server

server changes this to useful data the is added to main program

server via same low-data file tell other users the update persistance

Hey guys, I'm a grad student at a game development school about to get my masters degree. I'm very interested in developing a multiplayer add on for KSP and have a very good understanding of what it is going to take. I also have experience using Unity and I'm a decent scripter. I'm currently checking out what other people have started as far as multiplayer mods go, the closest thing i've found so far is here.

I'd like to be a part of the developer team and make this project a reality.

Hey guys, I'm a grad student at a game development school about to get my masters degree. I'm very interested in developing a multiplayer add on for KSP and have a very good understanding of what it is going to take. I also have experience using Unity and I'm a decent scripter. I'm currently checking out what other people have started as far as multiplayer mods go, the closest thing i've found so far is here.

I'd like to be a part of the developer team and make this project a reality.

Hi Darklite!

You have a perfect timing to join, because noone knows how to do a simple server software at the moment. Right away: Welcome in the team as "Programming Leader"!

Cheers,

MarkusA380

Edited by MarkusA380

This sounds interesting, perhaps potential.

Q:

Would their be an option to allow destruction? For ya know... wars? :P

Ill have to go back and read it again but I thought he mentioned collisions. If so, then I imagine gratuitous death, destruction, and chaos would work nicely, and boy would it be fun. The lasor mod and its missiles (plus the GAU) would be hours of GDDC enjoyment.

Imagine this scenario.

Cruising over the north pole at FL200 you spot a contact low 2. The craft is identified as hostile as it does not respond to an IFF request. You accelerate and roll in to engage. Now you're within missile range and loose your last missile against the opponent. The other guy (defender) detects the threat (yes, we'll need threat radar with audio prompts) and deploys decoys or sunbeam to knock out the missile.

He defeats your missile and is turning to flee. You're faster so you close the distance and arm your twin GAU cannons. The defender is slightly more maneuverable and has you on his radar. He begins to jink, anticipating the gun attack. Since you're faster you can fight in the vertical, so as he turns, he loses sight of you. Above him now, and hiding in the sun, you dive on your prey. You score a snapshot. You laugh maniacally as you pull a full g's, just to watch his craft breaks apart in a cloud of parts, flame and smoke.

During the melee, you notice his parachute. You bank hard left to finish the job, when two bandits appear on radar. The fool you blasted managed to relay your position to his pals! Threat radar now shows four inbound missiles - range 8000 meters & closing awfully fast. Low on fuel and out of missiles, the hunter has become the hunted.

It could be...

--

With respect to mods - it isn't a problem so long as servers have modpacks or a list of required mods. I almost see mods as essential for gameplay, in particular MP. The issue there is that plugins will likely have to be written for a MP mod. If this works and gets traction; it might not be a big issue if everyone works together (which we've seen)

For coop or even free-space / freelance gameplay; kethane, remotetech, lasor, and probably a dozen others would be pretty sweet.

I would love some feedback from plugin devs on this one also.

Ill have to go back and read it again but I thought he mentioned collisions. If so, then I imagine gratuitous death, destruction, and chaos would work nicely, and boy would it be fun. The lasor mod and its missiles (plus the GAU) would be hours of GDDC enjoyment.

Imagine this scenario.

Cruising over the north pole at FL200 you spot a contact low 2. The craft is identified as hostile as it does not respond to an IFF request. You accelerate and roll in to engage. Now you're within missile range and loose your last missile against the opponent. The other guy (defender) detects the threat (yes, we'll need threat radar with audio prompts) and deploys decoys or sunbeam to knock out the missile.

He defeats your missile and is turning to flee. You're faster so you close the distance and arm your twin GAU cannons. The defender is slightly more maneuverable and has you on his radar. He begins to jink, anticipating the gun attack. Since you're faster you can fight in the vertical, so as he turns, he loses sight of you. Above him now, and hiding in the sun, you dive on your prey. You score a snapshot. You laugh maniacally as you pull a full g's, just to watch his craft breaks apart in a cloud of parts, flame and smoke.

During the melee, you notice his parachute. You bank hard left to finish the job, when two bandits appear on radar. The fool you blasted managed to relay your position to his pals! Threat radar now shows four inbound missiles - range 8000 meters & closing awfully fast. Low on fuel and out of missiles, the hunter has become the hunted.

It could be...

--

With respect to mods - it isn't a problem so long as servers have modpacks or a list of required mods. I almost see mods as essential for gameplay, in particular MP. The issue there is that plugins will likely have to be written for a MP mod. If this works and gets traction; it might not be a big issue if everyone works together (which we've seen)

For coop or even free-space / freelance gameplay; kethane, remotetech, lasor, and probably a dozen others would be pretty sweet.

I would love some feedback from plugin devs on this one also.

Thats a nice idea (and a nice story, too), I think that modded servers work, but as always, everyone will need all mods to play. Maybe there will be a second, modded server or something.

Or, what is more likely, the LOG Mod will bring all the other needed mods with it in one package, so you don't need to scratch all these mods together from somewhere.

as i said i don't like svn's as they slow down my pc

Git or mercurial require much fewer resources than svn or even KSP. They are distributed svc systems, so individuals can work separately and push their changes or merge when the commits overlap. Here's a pdf of slides I made, explaining basic operations with git for a project. One would supplement that with tons of git tutorials and git-flow.

That said, I was hoping the project programmers would have at least joined the github page as contributors & pushed a commit or two. So I could stalk you.

Very interesting idea! I like the idea of letting all players be at any point on a shared timeline.

One thing that I think might work better than forcing a time sync periodically for all players is to let anybody be at any point on the timeline until they choose to "activate the time jump device" to synchronize their time with another player. At that point ONLY that player would instantly jump forward in time/game state to match another player. This could be a little tricky because it would require maintaining the "time jumping" player's position relative to whatever planet they are near since that planet will have moved at the time the player wants to jump to. The big advantage would be that you and a friend could fly to the mun using any time warp you felt like and then instantly "meet up" for a real-time joint mission by time jumping to each other. This would be doubly sweet if you could peek at a player's current time state to figure out where they are on their time. Or better yet see a "ghost" of a player in the future if they are near the same planet you are to make it easy to do a time jump to them.

I think the multiple players at different points on the same timeline idea + a "time jump" feature to let players meet up with those in the future might solve the "multiplayer time warp is logically inconsistent" problems and be pretty easy to understand/use.

Hello all together!

I am very sorry, that I didn't answer all your ideas and other replys. I was working on another project, which is much bigger than L.O.G.. Another thing why nothing happened is, that I really need a First Programmer to start the project...

I can't say what exactly my other project is, but so far for now: It is a revolutionary physics engine which will get public in some time.

@imago:

The idea with the timejump device isn't bad, but I think there are two things yet which don't make it necessary any more: First, there is the usual Timewarp, and second the player time will be set to server time when you leave to the Space Center. But a good idea! :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.