The L.O.G. Multiplayer Project

MarkusA380

Do you like the idea of it?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the idea of it?

I find it interesting on the voting 3 moderators including sal_vager don't like the idea.

Well, multiplayer... a tricky nut that's being lazor-drilled.

I think it is normal that those moderators vote against it:

Multiplayer threads are in their view something spamming the forums.

I hope they'll change their mind when we release the first version.

Yeah, hopefully my lazor is the first to cut multiplayer open, if you know what I mean.

I find it interesting on the voting 3 moderators including sal_vager don't like the idea.

Well, multiplayer... a tricky nut that's being lazor-drilled.

People (human beings) mistake the letter of a rule for it's meaning. "Discussing MP" may mean be literally "do not discuss it", or it may mean "do not request it from the developers". A modable game, with a mod in it (that just so happens to be MP) may be fine if the developers allow mods. It may not be if their plans are to add their own (this would conflict with it). So we are left with keeping to the letter, when we do not know the meaning. But requesting clarification when we need it.

In this case, it's a modification (not the game it's self), so I hope all goes well! :)

how close are you to the first alpha release

For the alpha release, we are probably done 15.01% and for the first closed super-alpha dev-testing 36.842% these approximates are little (alot) off, becouse im not sure that how much do we have to do to get it working. If nothing unexpected happens, we might get it working in about 2-3 weeks from now.

Edited by CARROTSAREAWSOME

I'm just curious about the chat client and map view. I'm sure if you talked very sweetly to the creator of KLF you'd get his blessing to tear down the code he used. That might make it easy for you guys when coming to deal with that sort of thing, and probably shave some time off of development.

I'm just curious about the chat client and map view. I'm sure if you talked very sweetly to the creator of KLF you'd get his blessing to tear down the code he used. That might make it easy for you guys when coming to deal with that sort of thing, and probably shave some time off of development.

Well, there is one point until we dont need hes/her code. We have passed it.

Well, there is one point until we dont need hes/her code. We have passed it.

Oh wow, gratz. I guess you guys didn't have to deal with the jumpiness of the KLF map when timewarping.

How are you dealing with organizing different people's flights? KLF used colors, though once you get to more than 10 people I'd imagine that becomes a pain. Can you accidentally click on other people's flights while trying to make a maneuver node? Can you target other players' ships, an invaluable part of interacting with others?. I don't want to overly grill you guys, I'm just curious. It's a problem that's secondary to timewarping but still very much an issue.

Also, about the timewarp thing, what if one person (Prima) has a Joolian intercept in 256 days and another (Secunda) has a Duna intercept in 146. Won't Secunda's ship just wind up flying past Duna so that Prima's flight can make it? Will there have to be correspondence?

Sorry, I admit that I love this idea to all extents, but I just thought of a problem that could tear the idea down.

Situation:

Player 'A' has a ship (with a docking port) on a course to Duna, he made his ejection burn and timewarped out to Duna where he landed the ship, and released another ship ( a rover ). He drives that rover about 50KM due east. Player 'A' now disconnects from server.

Player 'B' has a ship (with a docking port) with 5000 Delta-V (after LKO) and has a high TWR. He is still in real time, and in his frame of Reference, Player 'A's ship is only past Minmus. Player 'B' decides to 'catch up' with Player 'A's ship and rendezvous with it. Player B is successful, and decides to (like a troll) change the general ship's trajectory, so now it is in a generally circular orbit around Kerbol (because now the ship is past Kerbin's Shere of influence).

I hope you caught the problem... Now 2 realities exist in the same server, one where the ship is on Duna, and one where it is in orbit around Kerbol. But also what happened to the Rover? It was disconnected from the main ship in player 'A's reality so it should not be affected, but It was still attached in Player 'B's reality so it should be affected. Additionally when Player A re-joins the next day what will he see, his original reality or the corrupted one? - The Rant Has Ended -

Sorry for the semi-Rant, I hope I didnt sound condescending, sorry if i did...:( But it is just something for you (me as well) to ponder about, but I did think of a solution while writing this: Possibly Player 'A' would not have his reality affected and would continue playing, but Player 'B' would be moved to separate server where his reality could exist as well... Thanks for Reading, hope You reply.... (I Dont Normally Sound This Formal)

Also KSP Forums, Please Implement Spell Check....! <<<The amount of Spelling Mistakes I made in writing is Hilarious. :)

Not sure how they want to solve it, but as a competitor i would treat each vessel as its own "timeline" and you do not need a servertime at all. Its kinda Schrödinger's cat... only when you interact with sth, its "future" state will be determine. Also you obviously cannot interact with sth that can still change its state past of your interaction. So either you and the target vessel player have synchronized (one of you has to catch up), or the target vessel is idle (=> you can calculate its state in your timeframe). If you are in the future you only see predictions, and those predictions can change at any time. The great thing is that this way it should even be possible to revert a vessels history back to the last interaction with another vessel. So you can have another try after a failed landing... kind of a replacement for the current F5/F9.

Not sure how they want to solve it, but as a competitor i would treat each vessel as its own "timeline" and you do not need a servertime at all. Its kinda Schrödinger's cat... only when you interact with sth, its "future" state will be determine. Also you obviously cannot interact with sth that can still change its state past of your interaction. So either you and the target vessel player have synchronized (one of you has to catch up), or the target vessel is idle (=> you can calculate its state in your timeframe). If you are in the future you only see predictions, and those predictions can change at any time. The great thing is that this way it should even be possible to revert a vessels history back to the last interaction with another vessel. So you can have another try after a failed landing... kind of a replacement for the current F5/F9.

Actually this where the LOG method helps prevent trolling. Basically the vessel is going to be unloaded in the physics until it catches up, or else all sort of problems crop up. So when you try to approach an dock, unless they are actively in game at that location with their ship, it would not matter what you tried to do nothing would happen.

Actually this where the LOG method helps prevent trolling. Basically the vessel is going to be unloaded in the physics until it catches up, or else all sort of problems crop up. So when you try to approach an dock, unless they are actively in game at that location with their ship, it would not matter what you tried to do nothing would happen.

Yes, if by "trolling" you mean that you cant interact with someone else without his consent. Because of it does not really make sense to have enemies or different factions in a pvp kind of style. Thats why i don't get why the Log's planned 3 factions. But apparently that was removed from the first page anyway^^

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.