Naval Battle League 2016-2018

6 hours ago, Spartwo said:

I've only ever done it with Mass accelerator cannons as they can't be reloaded easily. Clips are the same shape but double the dimensions.

Do those even work anymore?  Ive tried a few times using a few different ideas, but it seems that the thrust heat damage will destroy any projectile i try to shoot out.

Hello again!

My fleet is still being developed, but i have two 99% finished* ships to show you:

S5uW6V6.png

This is the Neeson Phenix class cruiser, also fondly called the "Battleship in a Box", since it can fit in a mk3 cargo bay.

it's 36 tons. It has no armor, but mk2 hull is tough enough for me. If comes with six lightweight heavy hitter missiles with rover wheel clip-rip-tips. They work best when fired from about 150-200m away, and even though they're off-center, they can still be fired quite accurately. 

It's kind of like the sherman tank of my fleet. light, not very heavily armed or armored, but economic and easy to manufacture and transport.

And with only 60 parts, it's less laggy than most of your light fighters!

ay6N6s6.png

Next up, this is my Longsword possibly reusable "guided missile". It's designed to GO ALL VANDUUL ON YO PETTY METAL BUTTS take out targets from afar, come around for other passes if it misses, and if it survives, go back to its missile carrier to refuelled and be reused.

On 2/4/2016 at 9:48 PM, quasarrgames said:

Hello again!

My fleet is still being developed, but i have two 99% finished* ships to show you:

This is the Neeson Phenix class cruiser, also fondly called the "Battleship in a Box", since it can fit in a mk3 cargo bay.

it's 36 tons. It has no armor, but mk2 hull is tough enough for me. If comes with six lightweight heavy hitter missiles with rover wheel clip-rip-tips. They work best when fired from about 150-200m away, and even though they're off-center, they can still be fired quite accurately. 

It's kind of like the sherman tank of my fleet. light, not very heavily armed or armored, but economic and easy to manufacture and transport.

And with only 60 parts, it's less laggy than most of your light fighters!

Next up, this is my Longsword possibly reusable "guided missile". It's designed to GO ALL VANDUUL ON YO PETTY METAL BUTTS take out targets from afar, come around for other passes if it misses, and if it survives, go back to its missile carrier to refuelled and be reused.

Cool, although with the tonnage/size, it classify that as a bomber or heavy fighter :D.  I have a (in terms of size) medium starfighter thats 40t on the runway, your thing makes it look bad :(

As for that missile ill have to give you creativity, never have i actually seen something like that before, although seeing its mostly small stuructural panels, i dont exactly expect it to be super lethal, but only actual battles will tell, perhaps im wrong.

Here it is, the AKS 1st generation class-V corvette!

dJhkOP3.png

By no means immune to fire, but it stands up very well against both phasing crap like the popper-H and many normal missiles like the ibeam+sepatron variety.  Ofc tire tipped anything can and will hurt it, but even against those you generally need more then 1 shot since its very tough to hit at vulnurable angles.  Like anything though, very good luck and you can split it, but given its 250 parts (armed), and has decentish agility, range, and over 3000dV fully fueled, not to mention enough firepower to make anything but the nastiest enemy go away, i cant complain.

Comes (by default) with 1 SRM-6M and 6 redesigned Tripedo-S torps, which is overkill against even a drek.  It usually takes ~4 tripedo-S to fully neutralize said drek, although i have had some lucky test runs where drek does the whole instant poof, debri cloud thing after a single hit.

Its not perfect, but its better in every bloody way compared to older ships.  Still gets split with popper-Hs, still gets those extremely unlucky single ibeam+4 seps 1 shots it, but overall its rock solid, low part could (relatively), and just amazing looks too.  I even spent alot of time perfecting teh SRM-6 and the redesigned Tripedo-S in the looks department.

Edited by panzer1b

What the hell is it with the long ibeam+4 sepatron missile?  For its weight, its so overpowered.  Im reliably splitting ANYTHING with ~10 ibeam missiles from 200m in groups of 2 missiles per shot, and just spamming stage.

I just dont get it, in the past this type of weapon was for all intents and purposes mediocre, now it is BETTER then my tripedoes.  I can carry a SRM-6M for the same weight as 1 Tripedo-S, and that SRM-6M is more reliable at killing, and lets me engage multiple targets in the event i get really lucky and 1 shot split a ship with it.

Gotta see if i can figure a way to make the whole multi-core docking port spam ship work.  Its a good start, but multiple shots targeted at the same spot is just impossible to counter sofar :(

Its either my gfame being weird, or something majorly bad has happened to armor, its so bad that armor is for all intents and purposes pointless!

Edited by panzer1b

2 hours ago, AlexanderTeaH said:

I wonder how physics delta time affects projectile phasing, has anyone experimented with that setting in the past?

Ive done some messing with it, and ive found 0.03 to give the least phasing and bugs, although all settings make armor worthless so yeah.  That, and ive found the game to lag horrendously at 0.12, lag horrendously at 0.03, and lag horrendously anywhere in between :D.  Also, it seems that once you are near the limit of your machine (high part counts), the physics gets all derpy and weird stuff (like pocket ibeam turning a drek12P into a debri cloud) tends to happen.  Also, with lowish part counts (and no real lagfest), results of weapons testing is more consistent.  Dont get me wrong, ive had many odd tests (like seemingly worthless crafts eating entire volley of high end phasing torps, or very bad weapons tearing massive chunks out of solid armored ships), but those occurences are extremely rare, and the higher the lag/part count, the more weirdness happens.

I STRONGLY reccomend a rule of 0.03 as the physics setting that EVERYONE uses as it seems to give the least unreliable armor, although armor is still worthless at that setting too.  At the minimum the 2 combaters need to negiciate what phys setting they play on.  I know its also influenced by the computer you are on, but in general setting physics to 0.12 is BAD for armor.

Edited by panzer1b

14 minutes ago, panzer1b said:

I STRONGLY reccomend a rule of 0.03 as the physics setting that EVERYONE uses as it seems to give the least unreliable armor, although armor is still worthless at that setting too.  At the minimum the 2 combaters need to negiciate what phys setting they play on.  I know its also influenced by the computer you are on, but in general setting physics to 0.12 is BAD for armor.

I second this!

14 minutes ago, Iago said:

I think I've found why I haven't been able to participate yet: I'm a horrible builder :(

Well, I've been playing KSP for nearing 5 years now, doing militaristic designs for 2 years. When I first had a go at actual combat vessels, I struggled too, but after some practice I'd nailed down my specific building style and have been outdoing myself ever since! Hope this insight helps. :)

I have a habit of making "orbital spaghetti" whenever I fight in KSP(KAC ftw!). Whenever I build a spaceship that isn't maneuverable enough for that I get disappointed. Just gimme a couple ships and I'll conquer Jool before next Tylo eclipse from Laythe, but I can't really build my own ships. (I do pretty well with aircraft, tho)

1 hour ago, Spartwo said:

I know how you feel Script. Someday the Xibit will fly proudly!

Yeah, I hope that KSP 1.1 will have somewhat of a noticeable boost in partcount limits when it comes to performance. (U5 being a newer engine, plus (hopefully) proper 64 bit support.)

I might try making another tetrahedral-styled ship for hell of it. Between The Expanse, Homeworld (DoK and Remastered), and tons of concept art I've got saved to my PC, I've got design inspirations for years...

I finally found somewhere that hosted the Expanse properly last week. Spent 9 hours straight watching it. Favorite part is still the Tachi in the MCRN hangar.

I like the notifications on this forum.

Edited by Spartwo

I cut down the pyramidal/tetrahedral aesthetic down in size a bit, and got the Monument.

XLH1zI6.png

I'm likely going to designate this the NX-12, and it'll probably see some use, since I did a much better job in terms of packing it to the gills with fuel while giving enough armor to satisfy my need to prevent fighter missiles from punching holes in my ships. Carries 3 (both ASM rounds AND crew), and runs on clean, efficient nuclear power.

Edited by ScriptKitt3h

M1HghOP.png

There is in fact a much simpler way I could have done it. Heating makes it far too unreliable.

RIP: Militarized mass cannons 2013-2015

MQLp8S2.png

New carrier about to see action, but yet again I'm rebuilding the fleet as a result.

UK59RE0.png

Or3476j.png

Given a choice between the left and right side I think most others would choose right.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.