Naval Battle League 2016-2018

1 minute ago, MiffedStarfish said:

@DarkOwl57 Your ships performed a lot better than I expected, particularly the armour, well done. About the Dauntless, the missile phased through the armour and pierced the cockpit, then out through the other side. Their deaths were quick, and as painless as suffocating in vacuum with multiple shrapnel wounds can be.

;.; #RIP

Sure! Also, it's less of a k drive. I tried to make a tank turret with motorized steering, but when you turned the wheels the fuselage that was the "turret" pushed all over the place and appeared to provide a constant speed in that direction, rather than a constant acceleration. I call it the infinite improbability drive.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/14w1ivakojzflkv/Infinite Improbability Drive.craft?dl=0

yeah its practical. Its my cluster nuke. No matter how empty that thing is, it's going to get hit. Not getting a critical hit with that thing is like missing with a shotgun. It's only problem is it's a little to big, as i don't like having to fit the 1m size tanks on my ships.

In other news, here's my new ship. It's really weird looking.

Yeah, but as far as I've seen it doesn't do much more damage than 1 or 2 G3 Torpedoes, which are about half the mass and a quarter of the space.

The new ship looks great, looking at it I thought something was slightly off, then I realised the entire thing is slightly asymmetrical, and all the better for it. A bit long though, possibly susceptible to being split in half.

Edited by MiffedStarfish

2 hours ago, ShadowGoat said:

@panzer1b I have a missile thats probably capable of killing your new toy.

If you want to ill give it a try against my prototypes, have a ship with it onboard thats uploaded somewhere.

Also, work is going fairly well on my guide for armoring, im sorta focusing on some of the tricks ive learned work well in the modern game (1.2/1.29) which did not really work well before or were plain unnecessary to utilize.  While most of my modern designs are really unorthodox and youd think im kinda crazy to build them the way i do, the original classic armored warship that uses a stack of girders lengthwise is really starting to show its age and id nolonger even consider that hull design to be competitive, one good shot from a single long ibeam can instantly split you, something that is virtually impossible to do to the vast majority of my ships 95% of the time (there is always that luck factor that can occasionally do something stupid like a 200t super heavily armored ship being split in half by a salvo of 2 short ibeams, and yeah, that really happened a few years back in a battle i was doing).

Also, after i make a few more tweaks (not quite 100% happy with the ship right now in both the part count as mass efficiency departments) ill upload my new ship foir everyone to take a look at, sofar its armor is showing to be incredibly resilient with no reliable way to kill it, but its also possible i havent found some sort of weakness in it as of now and asking the community to shoot at it and test it out is prolly the best way to verify its superiority over everyone else's ships err improve it further...

35 minutes ago, ShadowGoat said:

I'll get a craft file up soon. You use the missile like normal, only you have to launch the I beams on the front before impact.

So its basically a flak cannon round, but with manual triggering instead of using a sepatron powered delayed fuse as my own flak ammunition had which would detonate and split the round into a debris field a bit after firing?

Actually that reminds me, im so making a new flak cannon round, didnt quite hold onto the old ones as they were very weak against anything but fighters and not part count efficient, but it just had that cinematic feel when a round airbursts shortly after being launched and then hits multiple targets at once with a cloud of shrapnel...

Also, i think ive found a weakspot in my ship that im now working on correcting, there is one angle that you can with some reliability pull off a killshot, and that cant be allowed...

Edited by panzer1b

4 minutes ago, ShadowGoat said:

Huh. What angle is this? Also can I have the craft file. I'm asking for the craft file and angle so I can totally fix them, not abuse their weakness.

here is my 2nd prototype version of the thing.  It has a COUPLE angles from which there is some chance of a killshot.  Other then that, the thing is so hollow that only hits targeting the core section have any hope of doing anything to the ship.  Also, it may be worth mentioning that the weapons are placeholders, the later iterations will have actually thought out weapons placement that will both make it harder to take down multiple guns and generally more powerful weapons that arent from 2 years ago...

https://www.dropbox.com/home/AKSTechnologies KSP/AKS Alliance?preview=[AKS]Regulator+V1.craft

Worth noting is that this is my first warship attempt that uses almost exclusively wings for its armor, so while it might not be the toughest ship out there, its got very good part count and mass to remain competitive.

Also, id like to see ur new "flak" ammunition you say you havem, the thing the burst into multiple pieces mid fight...

Edited by panzer1b

Well i made a new ship sorta based on a cross between my really old class-I corvette warship and the regulator styled hull internals, and it SUCKS...

VGLWdun.png

Every time it gets hit by anything one of the 2 kerbals in the really badly protected bridges dies.  I dont think the kerbals are going to approve of my attempts at using a command pod as sacrificial spaced armor plating.  If it ever gets deployed on a large scale i think the kerbals are going to nickname this thing the "Guaranteed Coffin for Two".

At least ive been unable to split it with anything ive thrown at it that isnt excessively massive in size.  And ofc it still shares the same problems that most of my "compact" ships that dont abuse ion engines share, relatively easy to neuter by targeting engines, and somewhat vulnurable weapons which are kinda all crammed into the front of the thing, they are nicely redundified so a single shot cannot destroy them all, but ive had a few rounds (especially 1.2 torps) tear apart over half the guns with one shot, leaving it with less firepower then a bloody starfighter.

At least i may have come up with a better bulkhead layout to deal with shrapnel ammo which seems to gut both engines every single time from any angle.  After that alteration this may very well become a good ship (when left uncrewed at least)...

Edited by panzer1b

On 5/4/2017 at 10:31 AM, ccoel said:

How. :confused:

It's not that hard. You just have to make everything in stock. :D

And here's one of my more recent vessels. 8 defense length VLS cells, 4 strike length VLS cells, 4 deck launchers, and a hangar capable of accommodating a medium sized craft. The hangar has a door, and the ship has a Phalanx 1b mount. Both the Phalanx and main gun can both rotate and change the elevation of their guns. The gun mounts are mostly aesthetic, as a stock cannon and autoloader would make them too part count heavy.

Each of the strike length cells can carry either a Vandal mach 2 1000 km range cruise missile, a Kobolt ABM and ASAT capable missile, a SM-1, or a SM-3.

75ZkAwV.png

pDsfBFe.png

I92nQzq.png

I've also got some aircraft carriers.

St8XDLd.png

Edited by andrew123

On 5/5/2017 at 11:37 PM, panzer1b said:

tested your missiles, and they are solid (for a 0.6m weapon) but are about as unreliable at killing this thing as anything else.  The real issue is the fact that i designed this ship with so much empty space its like trying to destroy the internals of a ship with basically no internals whatsoever.  I had one luckshot split it apart (actual kill), but other then that one time im basically unable to destroy this thing (or even neuter it) with any sort of reliability.  That said, your missiles are one of the better 0.6m weapons ive seen around, easily comparable to my own Tribeam missiles which are of very similar design except no RCS systems and lighter weight/part count since i dont have as many engines and use a longer engagement range then 1.5km.

Glow stripes or something like that, its a mod ive used a very very long time ago i recently recompiled to get sorta functional in KSP.  Granted, its buggy and doesnt quite work correctly, i plan on creating my own version of the concept with new models and 100% new coding too.

If ur interested the mod works out of the box, just the stripes are ONLY blue and cannot be altered and is always turned on.  If you compile the code it gives you a on-off toggle switch only, color switching is broken...

Thats not very effective armor design btw...  Might want to mention at least that you have to like build stuff around a 80m/s impact tolerance core or ur gonna get instakilled by a 1t microfighter armed with ant-torps

Hence the 'basic' part. I assume central spines and stuff comes later. But the military ship building here start off with putting plates directly onto rocket fuel tanks and it worked. (As the weapons were crap in those days as well)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.