Naval Battle League 2016-2018

Hello again!

I've been slightly busy. Well, actually i put this together in two hours, but i figured you still might like it.

51XRPaC.png

It's the Lazarus AAMC (Actually Armored Missile Cruiser). Little part pricey for me at 178 parts, but it also has actual armor, which is more than i can say about most of my fleet.

YkXOkyk.png

There are still chinks in the armor and the missiles sometimes burn each other off when fired, but once i get those sorted out, could i join a fight?

Also, any feedback would be very much liked and appreciated. :)

9 minutes ago, quasarrgames said:

Hello again!

I've been slightly busy. Well, actually i put this together in two hours, but i figured you still might like it.

51XRPaC.png

It's the Lazarus AAMC (Actually Armored Missile Cruiser). Little part pricey for me at 178 parts, but it also has actual armor, which is more than i can say about most of my fleet.

YkXOkyk.png

There are still chinks in the armor and the missiles sometimes burn each other off when fired, but once i get those sorted out, could i join a fight?

I'll need a download link. If the standard torps of my Haruna class fighters can't get it and it's under 60 tons, kudos!

10 minutes ago, quasarrgames said:

Hello again!

51XRPaC.png

YkXOkyk.png

Also, you could fight me after scriptkitteh and I are done. It would likely be an equal match, and I'd only use my sub 200 part ships(fighters).

Persistence File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vjs5gxoyrrtwfvl/IThinkSomethingGotBroken.sfs?dl=0

So, after detecting a hostile force occupying the previously free and clear space that was Eeloo orbit, I sent in Task Force Shiva to mount a liberation of the iceball world's skies. :P

Task Force Shiva is comprised of:
-1x MU NX-11 Super Valkyrie Space Superiority Fighter (36 tons), armed with a specialty "Anti.-Ship.Package." loadout ("A.S.P.") that swaps the normal 6 short i-beams for 2 long i-beam lances and 4 remote-guided Barracuda MAWs. :cool:
Tkh7ew4.png
-1X MU NX-H Helios (90 tons) sneaking about in low Eeloo orbit, acting as a fast attack vessel and armed with 2 small SRBs and 2 ASM EVO V2 guided missiles.
EhOLYGB.png
-1x MU GEN2 NX-01 Excalibur Missile Cruiser (113.9 tons) acting as overwatch from high Eeloo orbit.
h67XnkW.png
-2x MU NX-14 Vindicator heavy corvettes (90.84 tons each), named the Revenant and the Beowulf, respectively.
GwMqVgg.png
G4dlJOc.png

Next, for my first move in the battle:

The NX-11 starfighter (piloted by a "Zelphe Kerman") was dispatched to attack the Julius Caesar in LEO.
PT2xdeP.png
kW7RqRh.png
(Man, that ship is hard to pick out against all that darkness.)
Sensing an opportunity to field-test the new Barracuda M.A.W., I launched one of the 4 such missiles on the Super Valkyrie and sent it hurtling across the void to hit the cruiser in a near-glancing blow...
EKfQq6Z.png
maDAHtG.png
BF0YiAB.png
Upon impacting the the Caesar, the missile and ship were both enveloped in a bright orange-red flash of a blast, which left behind...
U7wYnGo.png
A cruiser blown almost cleanly in two, with its internals all but torn out and/or destroyed. The debris field was a neat sight in LEO as Zelphe took the Super Valk to a slightly higher parking orbit.
3EPBqIw.png
6RipfZj.png

Your move, Alphasus. :)

Edited by ScriptKitt3h

14 minutes ago, quasarrgames said:

Based on these previous battles im starting to get the vibe that armor is overrated...

Not necessarily, just you have to build effective armor. I'm suspecting that the armor on the Caesar's spine had some sort of weak point (structural stress-wise) that I overloaded with the missile hit.
My NX-12 only crumpled in combat due to relatively weakened armoring compared to my other NX-series ships, and I've fought many vessels that have been saved from my attacks via good armoring.

Not using armor at all is just like BEGGING to be fragged instantly upon getting shot. (BTW, armor doesn't strictly mean steel; wing plates work well too, though steel armor plate works better for capital-ship type vessels.)

6 hours ago, ScriptKitt3h said:

Not necessarily, just you have to build effective armor. I'm suspecting that the armor on the Caesar's spine had some sort of weak point (structural stress-wise) that I overloaded with the missile hit.
My NX-12 only crumpled in combat due to relatively weakened armoring compared to my other NX-series ships, and I've fought many vessels that have been saved from my attacks via good armoring.

Not using armor at all is just like BEGGING to be fragged instantly upon getting shot. (BTW, armor doesn't strictly mean steel; wing plates work well too, though steel armor plate works better for capital-ship type vessels.)

The Caesar was in development. It is 2 ship spines spliced together, with no strutting. Also, thanks, you just saved me from serious part count issues. That explains the weakness along the spine.

16 minutes ago, Alphasus said:

Here you go!

About weak armor... 6 i-beams are OP maybe just a little.

Nice shot; as others have said, it's wickedly hard to defend the engines on a massive ship like a KSP warship regardless of armor type or layout, and as such I'm not surprised. However, you missed something... I'm going to hold off on telling you for now. :P

13 minutes ago, ScriptKitt3h said:

Nice shot; as others have said, it's wickedly hard to defend the engines on a massive ship like a KSP warship regardless of armor type or layout, and as such I'm not surprised. However, you missed something... I'm going to hold off on telling you for now. :P

I think I know what it is, but I won't say anything. All I will say is that I don't think I could have done anything about it. Also, I cleared out the debris field of the Caesar-class cruiser that you killed. Also, I think that with the armor penetration that was demonstrated, the NX-1's chance of survival if I hit it anywhere else would be low. While the engines may have been the only guaranteed kill, the ship would have been crippled by other hits.

Edited by Alphasus

6 hours ago, Alphasus said:

I think I know what it is, but I won't say anything. All I will say is that I don't think I could have done anything about it. Also, I cleared out the debris field of the Caesar-class cruiser that you killed. Also, I think that with the armor penetration that was demonstrated, the NX-1's chance of survival if I hit it anywhere else would be low. While the engines may have been the only guaranteed kill, the ship would have been crippled by other hits.

Well, I guess we'll see what I'm referring to soon, won't we? :P
BTW, the NX-1's armor didn't get penetrated- penetration would be having a discrete section of the ship getting punctured with incoming fire and damaged THROUGH the armor. What happened on the NX-1 was using large-scale bombardment to overload the structural limits of that portion of the ship's hull, causing it to fragment- this is something that all ships are weak to, but the amount of force necessary to do so varies between ship types.

That all being said, that specific NX-1's chances of survival IF it got hit again would be low due to the exposed internals, but in general it's a reliable ship with armor that does its job- as it did in this case-
protecting the crew and internals (crew taking priority on a crewed vessel). Just as well, I've seen combatants in the past (long past, Zekes if I remember correctly) manage to bring de-engined ships into firing range using RCS alone. That's why the only way to be sure is total annihilation of power+main engines, weapons+power/engines, or the entire ship (the latter being the most 100% accurate way to ensure a hostile's not going to come back around and nail you in the rear when you least expect it). 

EDIT: I also just realized I had myself at a disadvantage by tilting the ship in the manner I did- it made it easier for an I-beam to potentially get inside through the missile ports.

Edited by ScriptKitt3h
added something

Persistence File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f64lt19z02fbbsz/EtTuBrute.sfs?dl=0

Ok, so after the damage to the NX-1 was assessed, I had the two NX-14s alter their orbits ever so slightly, while I also had all but the Super Valk and Helios delpoy electronic countermeasures as well. :)

95Bxwgt.png
reunymc.png
lZI4Lwa.png

Next, for my attack run I had the Helios move to intercept the remaining cruiser, the Augustus Caesar, as I knew that your fighter had expended all its onboard weaponry (and the Haruna-class' design doesn't allow for reloads it seems).

lFDwFNS.png
ERSbZc3.png
AMAAYqB.png

After a series of burns and a long wait for the intercept to arrive, I burned the LV-Ns and came face-to-face with the A.C., where I jettisoned my SRBs (testing in my own savegame has proven that they tend to incinerate missiles in their stack and/or their launch system) and launched a single ASM EVO V2 at the cruiser.

4wMzqSa.png
jQl9K9u.png
MF13TmN.png

As the fire died off in the vacuum of space and the smoke cleared, it became evident that I'd obliterated the Augustus Caesar completely, much like its sister ship.
However, closer inspection revealed that Bill Kerman had survived inside a MK1 lander can, and is safely away from the larger chunks of debris.

fjlXAEz.png
Yhm1AkY.png
0Ibdxm7.png

With its mission complete and a debris field to watch, the Helios' crew stayed put, with the lesson learned being that SRBs aren't worth quite as much in terms of missile usage as they used to be.

Your move, Alphasus. Oh, and if you wish for me to, I'm perfectly fine letting Bill bunk down onboard the Helios. She's got room for up 7 more kerbals. :)

Edited by ScriptKitt3h

5 hours ago, Alphasus said:

Where is the weakness of the NX-14? I found one, I think.

I'll clear out the debris of Revenant for you.

2 ASMs for one medium-sized vessel is a tad bit overkill... as such I'm not surprised the NX-14's hull behaved the way it did. Anything taking 2 ASM shots (with armored warheads) to a singular portion of the ship in one go is going to have a bad time.

EDIT: Ok, I'm going to have to ask you to re-do your move: The Augustus Caesar is STILL ALIVE (as in, intact and undamaged) in your persist file. That's not possible, considering I just posted mine where I completely and totally obliterated that ship. Something's not right here, especially given as well that upon loading your persistence file the game skipped straight to the Beowulf in LEO instead of loading the KSC menu; this immediately tipped me off that something was amiss.

EDIT 2:

EPThtSq.png

^As you can clearly see here, the NX-14  you destroyed is gone, as is many probes and bits of debris, but now the Augustus Caesar is somehow inexplicably intact again. Seeing as how I posted my last persist/move where I destroyed it less than a day ago, I feel that the persistence file you've sent me is bugged/incorrect and needs to be re-created (which unfortunately means having to re-move on your part) in order to preserve the chain of continuity in this battle.

Edited by ScriptKitt3h
added picture evidence of a bugged/incorrect persist

11 minutes ago, ScriptKitt3h said:

2 ASMs for one medium-sized vessel is a tad bit overkill... as such I'm not surprised the NX-14's hull behaved the way it did. Anything taking 2 ASM shots (with armored warheads) to a singular portion of the ship in one go is going to have a bad time.

In testing saves, those ASMs had serious issues penetrating dual layered armor plate. The structural stress of 2 missiles was able to "crack" or spall the armor, as you detailed earlier. I still have enough missiles available to seriously stress and hopefully spall another 90 ton ship. That, and Centurions might be harder to crack than Caesars. 

Edited by Alphasus

9 hours ago, ScriptKitt3h said:

EDIT: Ok, I'm going to have to ask you to re-do your move: The Augustus Caesar is STILL ALIVE (as in, intact and undamaged) in your persist file. That's not possible, considering I just posted mine where I completely and totally obliterated that ship. Something's not right here, especially given as well that upon loading your persistence file the game skipped straight to the Beowulf in LEO instead of loading the KSC menu; this immediately tipped me off that something was amiss.

EDIT 2:

EPThtSq.png

^As you can clearly see here, the NX-14  you destroyed is gone, as is many probes and bits of debris, but now the Augustus Caesar is somehow inexplicably intact again. Seeing as how I posted my last persist/move where I destroyed it less than a day ago, I feel that the persistence file you've sent me is bugged/incorrect and needs to be re-created (which unfortunately means having to re-move on your part) in order to preserve the chain of continuity in this battle.

I'll redo the turn.

Edited by Alphasus

Persist file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tqym2x3uzp9foco/AndromedaSTRAINED.sfs?dl=0

Now, after some close examination it seems that beside its now-missing pair of LV-Ns, the Revenant is otherwise still functional, and may be capable of being aided by the Helios or Beowulf, since both feature medium docking ports on their top/bottom.

lWnPOtl.png

After checking on the stressed-out crew of the Rev, I went and took my next attack run out on the Andromeda, using the Beowulf.

QkdMcGj.png
Db96pzM.png
UxW5seD.png

After a long intercept-course burn, the Andromeda came into sight, and the crew of the Beowulf quickly turned and performed the rendezvous burn(s) to catch up to the high-orbit destroyer.

XweboWv.png
SuvS2hC.png
hwdQ1L4.png

After matching velocities and getting into visual firing range, I launched one of the Beowulf's two ASM EVO V2s at the aft end of the Andromeda, resulting in a fairly-nice-sized explosion...

2z6bz0E.png
rxRTOiE.png
0fhr3Dv.png

... which completely blew out the ship's engines, aft-most internals, and the cockpit holding Kerbal crew-member Valentina Kerman (R.I.P. Val, you magnificent Kerbal. ;.;).

HkMb57x.png
00LF9lo.png
tAYrzbN.png

After examining the damage to the now-crippled destroyer, the Beowulf burned for a slightly altered orbit to leave the wreck behind, as a token of respect.

Your turn now, Alphasus. I'd recommend adding some flashing and/or shielding offset somewhat from the engine opening, but attached to the superstructure, while letting the engine thrust safely pass through so the ship'll still move (this advice is for any future designs or upgrades to your ships). It won't be a perfect guarantee that your engines will survive, but it'll help mitigate the risk of getting disabled easily.

41 minutes ago, ScriptKitt3h said:

Persist file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tqym2x3uzp9foco/AndromedaSTRAINED.sfs?dl=0

Now, after some close examination it seems that beside its now-missing pair of LV-Ns, the Revenant is otherwise still functional, and may be capable of being aided by the Helios or Beowulf, since both feature medium docking ports on their top/bottom.

lWnPOtl.png

After checking on the stressed-out crew of the Rev, I went and took my next attack run out on the Andromeda, using the Beowulf.

QkdMcGj.png
Db96pzM.png
UxW5seD.png

After a long intercept-course burn, the Andromeda came into sight, and the crew of the Beowulf quickly turned and performed the rendezvous burn(s) to catch up to the high-orbit destroyer.

XweboWv.png
SuvS2hC.png
hwdQ1L4.png

After matching velocities and getting into visual firing range, I launched one of the Beowulf's two ASM EVO V2s at the aft end of the Andromeda, resulting in a fairly-nice-sized explosion...

2z6bz0E.png
rxRTOiE.png
0fhr3Dv.png

... which completely blew out the ship's engines, aft-most internals, and the cockpit holding Kerbal crew-member Valentina Kerman (R.I.P. Val, you magnificent Kerbal. ;.;).

HkMb57x.png
00LF9lo.png
tAYrzbN.png

After examining the damage to the now-crippled destroyer, the Beowulf burned for a slightly altered orbit to leave the wreck behind, as a token of respect.

Your turn now, Alphasus. I'd recommend adding some flashing and/or shielding offset somewhat from the engine opening, but attached to the superstructure, while letting the engine thrust safely pass through so the ship'll still move (this advice is for any future designs or upgrades to your ships). It won't be a perfect guarantee that your engines will survive, but it'll help mitigate the risk of getting disabled easily.

I understand that, but for some reason whatever I try occludes the engines... Anyway, Apricity's turn.

32 minutes ago, Alphasus said:

I understand that, but for some reason whatever I try occludes the engines... Anyway, Apricity's turn.

Try adding flashing that doesn't directly cover the engine nozzle from behind, but that decreases the size of what can hit the engine while providing an extra "buffer" of armor/deflection surface from incoming fire. It won't stop things like advanced ASM-style missiles, but it'll help mitigate i-beam and light missile damage.

10 minutes ago, ScriptKitt3h said:

Try adding flashing that doesn't directly cover the engine nozzle from behind, but that decreases the size of what can hit the engine while providing an extra "buffer" of armor/deflection surface from incoming fire. It won't stop things like advanced ASM-style missiles, but it'll help mitigate i-beam and light missile damage.

So like I-beams, or a cowl? Thanks in advance. Future centurion classes will use it.

54 minutes ago, Alphasus said:

So like I-beams, or a cowl? Thanks in advance. Future centurion classes will use it.

Depends on the ship, though for the Centurion I'd say a cowl might work well- especially when bulked up on the sides.

Also, since many players fight in Auto/Orbital view for space-borne combat, I'd advise (tactics-wise) to leave your ships after each manuever in the position that makes them hardest to hit or easily damage- for a long, slim, flat ship like yours, I'd say have it with the longer, flatter/larger surface area sides facing "up" and "down" relative to the orbital plane you're in- this makes it harder to hit your ship from a simple rendezvous, and forces your opponent to spend time and fuel angling for a better shot.

28 minutes ago, ScriptKitt3h said:

Depends on the ship, though for the Centurion I'd say a cowl might work well- especially when bulked up on the sides.

Also, since many players fight in Auto/Orbital view for space-borne combat, I'd advise (tactics-wise) to leave your ships after each manuever in the position that makes them hardest to hit or easily damage- for a long, slim, flat ship like yours, I'd say have it with the longer, flatter/larger surface area sides facing "up" and "down" relative to the orbital plane you're in- this makes it harder to hit your ship from a simple rendezvous, and forces your opponent to spend time and fuel angling for a better shot.

OK. Also, I apologize in advance... the orbit was so high, and 2 missiles at 143 m/s each easily overrode any orbital speed the Beowulf had. The Beowulf and her crew perished in a collision with Eeloo that was entirely unintentional.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.