Naval Battle League 2016-2018

I'm looking for tips/experience with this sort of thing. I'm starting something with a friend and would like to do battle honorably beat the crap out of him. If anyone would like to accept a challenge, I'd love to get started.

Duna

3 ships

120 tons

XWkwgC9.png

This is my primary ship atm, the 30 ton Vengeance Class packs a punch with four Vindicator torpedoes and two Lances. The armor seems kinda weak, so I'd like to get some actual battle testing in.

The other ship in my arsenal is the 27 ton Apex. Armed as a light destroyer, the Apex has three Vindicators and two light torpedoes. The armor is nonexistent, but the range is great. A heavier-armored one is in the works.

HtWjQwH.png

On 3/29/2016 at 11:35 PM, Servo said:

I'm looking for tips/experience with this sort of thing. I'm starting something with a friend and would like to do battle honorably beat the crap out of him. If anyone would like to accept a challenge, I'd love to get started.

Duna

3 ships

120 tons

This is my primary ship atm, the 30 ton Vengeance Class packs a punch with four Vindicator torpedoes and two Lances. The armor seems kinda weak, so I'd like to get some actual battle testing in.

The other ship in my arsenal is the 27 ton Apex. Armed as a light destroyer, the Apex has three Vindicators and two light torpedoes. The armor is nonexistent, but the range is great. A heavier-armored one is in the works.

Ill be glad to fight you once 1.1 is released and i rebuild my fleet accordingly (im guessing change in physics will set people back some in terms of ships that work/dont work).  You kinda picked a bad time for fights as everyone is ready for 1.1 (which looks quite likely to be prereleased this week assuming no major hurdles show up), and the game going to 1.1 will alter the battle scenarios enough to warrant everyone redesigning their warships.  Im actually hoping that we get to start from square1 in terms of armor/weapon design as it appears that most people are at the limit of workable armor.  The higher part counts (and possibly altered physics) should make a world of difference.

All in gonna say is that battles ahev now become viable even with 2 500 part monsters.  Ofc anything much above 500 lags, but i have actually loaded in a 1000 part ship and was able to get it into orbit at respectable FPS levels.  Long live 1.1!

Well, looking at the 1.1 preview it appears that armor took another nosedive into the garbage pile.  Unless i can think of some breakthrough, i am finished with super high end armor design.  Time to make some for fun ships and just use weaker weaponry to make it just as much fun.  Actually macey dean tech is quite entertaining since it requires way more skill and rarely ends up with 1 shotted anyone.  Time to bring back the antpedoes of doom which cant do anything but destroy like a exposed fuel tank or so!

Ohh, and with the new lowered lagfest, i finished one of the few carrier prototypes i had laying around unable to be used due to lag city in 1.0.5.  Havent done much with carriers since they are unpractical and if you want to carry fighters just strap em to a normal corvette, but i think i managed to make something that both looks cool and actually works (kinda).

Boy was it a pain to get this into orbit....  Tried so many solutions, with the only 2 that worked at all was a puller rocket or the one shown in this pic, a pusher with tanks high above the CoM so that i can actually not flip every time.  This thing is HARDER to get into orbit then macey's laniakea, and that thing is extremely painful on its own.

And while im at it, a minor redesign of the classical SK-CRV-Ig4, the only relatively common AKS warship atm.  A few changes to internals, but overall its so-so armor, but it can still take a beating from weaker weapons.

PBXFBUf.png

Edited by panzer1b

19 hours ago, Canberra_Gaming said:

I'm very surprised this still exists. Now with the 1.1 Prerelease we should be able to have much smoother gameplay and battles.

if only this was true...

1.1 just massively increased this rather rare but still existsent bug which makes combat impossible unless you are at point blank range (physics doesnt seem to derp out as often then).

Unless we are gonna stick to purely guided weapons (which dont trigger the bug), the days of using ibeam/RT5s/unguided anything are OVER with 1.1 (unless squad fixes bug ofc).

just look at this thread, and you will see what i mean :(

Until this is fixed (or at least minimized to the levels of 1.0.5) i fear that battles are done in KSP when every shot will NaN error out the target killing it instantly (or well deleting).

I've had similar problems, with what seems to be a direct hit simply missing. The weirdest thing was when the damage didn't happen until after I quickloaded. Then, two structural parts had been removed with no other change to the ship.

12 hours ago, Canberra_Gaming said:

Fortunately I use Guided weapons like the ranks of Zekes and Spartwo. Using unguided weapons I haven't had this bug. Could it be a hardware issue? I'm running a fairly high end PC and haven't had these issues?

What are you using for a PC? I have no issues either.

Well it seems you guys are not the only ones fresh out of ideas for new ships.  While i have PLENTY of concepts to try out, i seem to have hit the armor protection cieling right now, and 1.1 appears to have made weapons even more lethal (discounting that stupid NaN bug which can be avoided if you limit direct fire to ~150-200m where bug very rarely triggers). 

I am RELIABLY killing every single ship of my own as well as anyone else's (at least those ships that were at some time available for download which i saved) design, regardless of how many parts it has.  The secret, use a long ibeam and 8 sepatrons set to 1.6 LFO each, fired 2 at a time at a target (for some reason firing single fire is way less effective at doing damage).  Place the sepatrons on the front of the ibeam to cut down the recoil and make it impossible to melt the decoupler/docking port/whatever you use to detach it.  Ofc a single missile is unlikely to do much, but a single SRM-6H (which carries 6 of said missiles) can and will destroy any ship in existence (at least with my computer, and i have phys set to 0.03 which is more accurate and does the best for armor).  The SRM-6H is a tad high on the part counts at 69 per launcher, but given that its near guaranteed to kill anything every time (or at least cripple it beyond usefulness), i kinda sacrificed my part count efficiency to produce a relatively lightweight weapon with the ability to engage more then 1 target most of the time, a fair compromise id say over more part count efficient but also much heavier for equal firepower guided missiles.  No reason to use guided missiles until MP where direct fire anything will be pretty much worthless unless its a fighter or other super agile thing that can actually get in range and not get wiped by a guided missile every time.

Yh9BDf4.png

This is with 4 sepatrons clipped per side of ibeam, 8 total.  Only way to do it reliably because i need to fit 6 missiles basically right ontop of each other and the more usual method of having 8 in radial symmetry as i can do with exposed mounting points that arent jam packed into such a tiny space, normally the missile would look something liek this:

3XggZDA.png

Also, ive come to the conclusion that the SK-CRV-Ig4 is my absolute best ship in terms of protection to part count.  It will die to a SRM-6H most of the time, but so will ANYTHING else that ive ever come across.  At least its very effective vs weakish crap that isnt excessively heavy or uses tires.  After redesign from 0.90 version, its total weapons capacity is 5 HSG hardpoints, with the most popular loadout being 1 SRM-6H and 4 Tripedo-S missiles.

Could u guys help me out with armor development, cause im seriously stuck on armor protection development atm.  Given 1.1's improvements im actually willing to run higher part counts, and im trying to make a destroyer that can actually tank, but i have 0 experience with high part count armor design since up to now ive basically been using a hard limit of 300 which lowers my max armor to a fairly consistent level.  Also seems that multi-dockport ships are broken in 1.1, so all my semi-procedurals are kaput.

Really, you say? I commend your perseverance in destruction testing, Panzer1b. However, i think i've made a breakthrough in armor:

It turns out that mk3 cargo ramps have incredible impact tolerance. We're talking seven-ton wack-a-kerbal projectiles at max speed. I've also confirmed that this still works in 1.1. Thus, i have used these parts to create incredibly low-part, high-armor ships, such as the Lazarus mk2:

NMuLvMK.png

It's really heavy armor-wise, and doesn't have much interior space, but it's incredibly resilient. I've found that a missile is more likely to simply clip through the armor than destroy it. But even this could be solved with multiple layers i bet...

P.S. I was hesitant to post this because i was worried someone would report it as a bug and get it fixed, but i trust that nobody here will do that :)

Also, does the Nan bug still happen if you switch to the missile just before impact?

Edited by quasarrgames

Hello again, all. I was thinking of returning for 1.1, but what with even further nerfs (albeit unintentional ones) to armor, the return of NaNing, and the like, it seems little better, despite framerate improvements. Also, I have to deal with the loss of all of my ships (computer perished horribly, designs are gone) unless there is some method of recovering designs directly from a persist (still have those). 

As for quasar's discovery, this is a quirk related to how KSP does collision physics, which is far from realistic; it compares the impact tolerance, impact angle, and the mass of the colliding parts, and thus the Cargo Bay is superb primary because of the latter. The same goes for missiles; panzer probably still has his heavy tirepedoes lying around, which were banned due to their extraordinary and uncounterable damage potential. 

Edited by Three1415

I wouldn't worry about the NaN bug too much for 1.1, since the full release is not out and any bug as destructive/hindering as that one will likely get fixed pre-full-release of the update.

Also, since stock combat's been somewhat stagnant in the wait for 1.1's full release, I ran a 7v6 BDA AI battle today.

6lim4hT.png

zEVNUmA.png

YyYw3QY.png

Lwq282Z.png

oeN3ZDR.png

It was fun. If anyone wants to send a BDA-equipped jet for me to dogfight my way, feel free. We've got lots of time while waiting on the update to drop and full-on stock battles to resume.

14 hours ago, ScriptKitt3h said:

I wouldn't worry about the NaN bug too much for 1.1, since the full release is not out and any bug as destructive/hindering as that one will likely get fixed pre-full-release of the update.

I wouldnt get your hopes up too much given that said bug primarily affects combat, something that squad doesnt exactly care about much...  There are a few scenarios it could occur in a normal game, but its primarily when shooting at stuff.

The other fact is that the bug has been in game since i remember, it was just extremely random and very hard to trigger.  Im not sure if its just me, but ive had cases where the game NaN bugged out and deleted ships.  Rare but it did happen, so i suspect its some bug thats closer to the core of the way the physics works.

Hopefully im wrong and they do adress the bug (or at least tone it down to 1.0.5 levels), but unless i hear otherwise im gonna have to build my weapons with this bug in mind as you really cannot shoot unguided anything much past 200m or the target ship goes poof (unless you actually follow the projectiles in to the target with switch vessel just as u fire).

Also as an unrelated note, it appears they massively toned down the "flamethrower" weapons.  Now we are able to use in-line SRBs relatively safely without having to worry about whatever is behind it melting in a split second.  You still gotta be careful, and certain weapons do melt your ship, but in general things like RT-5+structural impactor stacks are now viable, and you nolonger need to have a separate hardpoint per weapon as stacking missiles works well.

Time to bring back the railguns/mass drivers at least on a few ships to use as a fighter catapult (weapon meh, but you can launch a small micro-fighter at over 500m/s relative to the ship to save dV).

Edited by panzer1b

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.