Naval Battle League 2016-2018

On 25/04/2016 at 4:02 PM, Canberra_Gaming said:

So this is what's taking the campaign series so long. I can't Career or Aero stop...

I've had the same problem. Turning the capsule upside down gives it a lot more useful drag, along with giving the craft a nice vostok-like appearance.

Did a quick lag-test on a new tech demonstrator, trying to see if I can revive my tetrahedral hull shape while not having it be as squishy as the NX-12's backside was.

n7HhdZl.png

I feel like it's a good sign... since I had a steady-ish 30 FPS with around 1.2-1.5k parts loaded. (The ship took no damage from the i-beam hit, though I'm going to spam it with a bunch to more accurately test its resilience against small munitions.)

EDIT: I say over 1k parts between the ship, the Proxy drone I shot it with, and the carrier and sister drone that were also within loading range.

Edited by ScriptKitt3h

3 hours ago, ScriptKitt3h said:

Did a quick lag-test on a new tech demonstrator, trying to see if I can revive my tetrahedral hull shape while not having it be as squishy as the NX-12's backside was.

n7HhdZl.png

I feel like it's a good sign... since I had a steady-ish 30 FPS with around 1.2-1.5k parts loaded. (The ship took no damage from the i-beam hit, though I'm going to spam it with a bunch to more accurately test its resilience against small munitions.)

EDIT: I say over 1k parts between the ship, the Proxy drone I shot it with, and the carrier and sister drone that were also within loading range.

I dont knwo what ur running on (myself a 3yr old lappy), but ive already had a battle with 1500 parts loaded at once, perhaps more but it was around 4 ships each ~300 parts, 4 30 part fighters, 2 50 part fighters, and a carrier that was 300 parts (with 4 30 part fighters connected to it).  That was all loaded in the same area, yeah a little stuttery and laggy, but less painful then loading a single 500 part ship in 1.0.5!

Ohh and my more recent testing seems to indicate that armor does work a little better then 1.0.5, its still the case that a well designed missile can and will kill anything, but generally speaking the SRM-6M is nolonger certain doom to every single ship ive ever used it on (which was rather stupid imo before).  The NaN bug is also less common now, does occur but it seems that the increase to phasing at longer ranges has made it much less likely to trigger that bug at least to the point where entire ship goes poof.

Edited by panzer1b

1 minute ago, panzer1b said:

I dont knwo what ur running on (myself a 3yr old lappy), but ive already had a battle with 1500 parts loaded at once, perhaps more but it was around 4 ships each ~300 parts, 4 30 part fighters, 2 50 part fighters, and a carrier that was 300 parts (with 4 30 part fighters connected to it).  That was all loaded in the same area, yeah a little stuttery and laggy, but less painful then loading a single 500 part ship in 1.0.5!

I've got a nice rig I custom-built (sort of scraping the upper ceiling of a "mid-range" gaming desktop), but I like to turn my graphical settings up nice n' high, and use FX mods like Scatterer to add in lens flares and the like. I'll have do more test engagements to be sure though, especially since x64 KSP runs smooth as silk for me now.

12 hours ago, ScriptKitt3h said:

n7HhdZl.png

Ooooohhhhh. Nice fighter, mind if I make a similar design?

6 hours ago, Canberra_Gaming said:

Ooooohhhhh. Nice fighter, mind if I make a similar design?

I don't mind at all, it's pretty simple, just an ion/RCS propelled mini-drone with a single inline weapon mount (really meant for i-beams, but other stuff might fit) and a couple other things, all under 5 tons.

4 hours ago, Iago said:

What's a RAC Cannon and where do I get it?

Basically, a forward-facing engine assembly (normally LFO/chemical instead of nuclear, for higher projectile launch velocities) that launches slug projectiles and/or shotgun-blast like clouds of shrapnel towards a target. The "recoil" is normally mitigated by firing in controlled bursts, while having the main engines running to re-accelerate your ship. Not many ships have really pulled off the MAC/RAC concept well in recent history, with some of the more famous designs (even going back a few updates) being Spartwo's Mace and some of daemonCaptrix's old ships from many updates ago.

47 minutes ago, ScriptKitt3h said:

Basically, a forward-facing engine assembly (normally LFO/chemical instead of nuclear, for higher projectile launch velocities) that launches slug projectiles and/or shotgun-blast like clouds of shrapnel towards a target. The "recoil" is normally mitigated by firing in controlled bursts, while having the main engines running to re-accelerate your ship. Not many ships have really pulled off the MAC/RAC concept well in recent history, with some of the more famous designs (even going back a few updates) being Spartwo's Mace and some of daemonCaptrix's old ships from many updates ago.

V .20/.21 The first two of their sort, developed independent of each other only hours apart. wCdfv0s.png

The heating added in 1.0 means that rounds have to be a lot more complex in order to manage the heat from a good sized accelerator and not explode partially.

The main draw is the point blank firing distance, mass effectiveness, and lack of acceleration time. One of the main downsides is that they're complex to make and use and every update breaks them slightly.

Edited by Spartwo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.