Naval Battle League 2016-2018

2 hours ago, ScriptKitt3h said:

Matter of fact, it's a tad bit over 1400 or so parts with a full fuel load, though minus any sub-craft docked in the hangar. However, it also weighs in a 775 tons, meaning the massive LF/O engines in the rear are a necessity for keeping it moving.

After careful consideration i have decided to never even try loading that in my game :D

1 hour ago, Spartwo said:

So mass accelerators work again...

Good, while they were never that useful (compared to standard ibeam spam), at least it opens up some options and brings variety to the combat scene...

Ohh, and fairings should be banned from combat.  They arent invincible but they can basically render a ship immune to anything but extremely powerful ordinance if done correctly...

Edited by panzer1b

1 hour ago, panzer1b said:

Ohh, and fairings should be banned from combat.  They arent invincible but they can basically render a ship immune to anything but extremely powerful ordinance if done correctly...

I looked through the rules and didn't see anything, but what about fragmentation missiles? So, A a small confetti fairing flies in, clips into the enemy ship, and then deploys. Not necessarily a ship killer, not persistent, but can potentially still cause damage.

4 hours ago, Spartwo said:

U WOT M8!

*Rummages through imgur*

AhuL0lZ.png

Was this yours? Might have been alpha's

I highly doubt it since i never released any ship but AKS faction (and the number of warships ive created numbers near 100 only counting unique designs), and all AKS warships are flattened hexagons (up/down are flat), or some variation of a flattened hexagon cross section (ive also made a few wedge style designs, but even those were basically flat hexagon cross section but the front/rear tapered down to a diamond).

Also, these images look old, as in before 1.1 (where the damage model seems to have changed enough that many things that worked nolonger do and vice versa).  Ill have to try my own mass driver cannons again to see how they hold up, but i havent really had great experiences with them in the past (biggest issue is the complexity of the bloody engine system and since i like compact vessels, it limits me to using stacks of smaller engines which are rather part count intensive).

2 hours ago, Andem said:

I looked through the rules and didn't see anything, but what about fragmentation missiles? So, A a small confetti fairing flies in, clips into the enemy ship, and then deploys. Not necessarily a ship killer, not persistent, but can potentially still cause damage.

Not an official rule but at least personally i refuse to fight with or against it (just like i refuse to deal with XL-3 wheels as they are OP).  I dont enjoy fights that either force me to abuse some weapon in order to be competitive (especially when its a broken mechanic like indestructible component), or make ships that require extremely overpowered ordinance to kill them at all (thsi is what fairings do, they basically make quantity of small weapons worthless.  Anyways, legal or not officially, im not going anywhere near fairings in any battle!

In other news, just finished 2 replica warships (or well heavily inspired, perhaps not exact replicas as i had to keep part count and size managable).

Anyone know what these things are supposed to be (yeah i know the proportions on the larger one are terrible as its way too wide for the length, couldnt do it any other way, that and its not really supposed to store weapons but fighters in that rear hangar, at least smaller one is fairly spot, boy is it annoying to make organic looking anything in KSP with the lack of curved surfaces and no procedural wings).  These thins are probably going to end up used in my comic, perhaps in the massive alliance vs pirate battle that i need to redo as it was done in 1.1 beta and there were quite a few breaking bugs (like lack of ability to target anything forcing me to aim 100% manually without even an interior IVA view for those pirate fighters).  Now who to give them to?  Either AKS alliance or pirates, obviously not an AKS warship (nothing AKS is organic looking), but alliance does use bought ships so perhaps there as they look a tad too good for pirate construction.

Edited by panzer1b

Hello.  After scouring my archives, I have found a relic from times past, the Co-23A.  I have deconstructed this relic and the knowledge gained from it has helped me further my frigate designs.  I present the TR-1 and TR-2 Light Frigates.

TR-1:

gHqi2Q2.png

Weighing in at just under 80 tons (79.9 to be exact), this ship carries 9 LM-1 missiles and enough fuel to go wherever you need to in the system.  Also, it can accommodate a crew of five as deep space adventures can get lonely.

TR-2:

tJtsvqm.png

This slightly heavier frigate carries more armor and weapons, up to 14 LM-1 missiles and is slightly heavier at 82.6 tons.  However, the extra armor and weapons have reduced the total delta-v of the ship.

On 6/14/2016 at 11:56 AM, ScriptKitt3h said:

Kept you waiting, huh?

NX-series warships (plus a potential grab-bag of extras) drop on the SCE no later than 6/18/16 (if not sooner).

Well the ones i managed to download are nice, but when will we get some of the newer models?

At least the NX-1 (my fav of the entire lineup appearance wise) is epic looking.

XR1rKWo.png

Sadly the same cannot be said about its armor which is a little lousy for the sheer part count that went into the thing...  Even a modified version which removes all non-essential parts like chaff probes, rcs, ect is still over 3 of my SK-CRV-IIIg1s in part count (and is just as likely to die to a SRM-6M from my own experience especially if i focus fire the rear (even if its doesnt go poof the engines will die).

cDIuyou.png

And i cant explian why but the helios is probably the toughest ship you ever released from my experience.  Not that it should be so powerful (its a bloody girder with fuel tanks attached to it directly), but for whatever reason  it refuses to die reliably to anything i throw at it besides OP crap like Tripedo-S/H or even the Tripedo-H (although the H is neither part count nor mass efficient and at ~8t you cant call it a general purpose missile).

J9N4Glu.png

That said, my newest ships should be more then a match for your fleet.  If i wasnt going on vacation to somewhere with garbage internet (assuming there even is internet there) id so battle your new fleet with my new fleet...

74nsZNG.png

SK-CRV-IIIg1: My most efficient warship produced to this date.  While its armor is meh compared to the class-IV, it has enough to tank some hits from torpedoes and ibeam weapons (survives a full SRM-6M more often then not), and while its heavier/shorter range then the class-I, its more practical then it because it has considerably better protection.131 part hull with 112 after removal of the side skirts and cosmetics, not a class-I but way better then the class-IV which not only has higher raw part count but its mass goes up by 10t while carrying less fuel tanks, obviously irrelevant on very low gravity planets but range makes a major deal on some planets.

jCJNcHZ.png

Sk-CRV-IIg1:  A sort of redesign from ground up for the rather old wedge styled class-II, this one is basically a class-III hull with a redesigned front/rear (the weapons placement is identical between the 2).  The one in the picture is the command version which guts the entire front out and replaces it with a dedicated command and observation deck with a slit running along the entire sides/front and one up top to give alliance commanders a decent view without sacrificing protection as the previously popular large open windows would.  The combat version is ~10t lighter then a class-III and has identical offensive capabilities, slightly worse protection (in practice they are more or less identical), and less range (because it removes 4 fuel tanks).  Id generally never bring one into battle since the class-III is hands down better, but if im 10t over i can always swap a class-III for a class-II and just make sure it moves early because it may not have a second chance on high gravity worlds.

DvEAqXK.png

SK-CRV-Ig5:  A classic warship, the 5th generation basically redesigns the command bridge and fixes the previous model's extremely likely poof on cockpit detach (it as clipped very badly and almost always was detached while clipped into fuel which exploded the entire rear).  That said, it is not designed for direct combat since it uses a XL girder core making it go poof to almost anything semi powerful including the very popular ibeam based weapons that every bloody warship in my universe carries in some quantities.  It has the lowest part count of any warship to date at 108 part hull (85 part hull without side skirts and cosmetics), so what it lacks in armor it makes up for in low part count and long range.  Also it can carry 30t of ordinance with 2000dV (normally it carries ~10t so it gets ~2800).

EDRS99d.png

SK-CRV-IVg4:  The most powerful ship i have in both offensive (triple SRM-6M will eat an entire fleet alive) and defensive (not even zeke's 10.5t super torpedo can kill it reliably) capabilities, but at the cost of part count and lousy range.  Its 181 parts without the optional ion drive addon which increases that by ~30 parts, then ofc the weapons ontop of that and you can see why its not all that practical even if its protection rivals the better 800+ part warships.  Yeah its better then what most people on here use (protection to part count ratio), but its not quite as practical as the cheaper, simpler, and just move viable class-III which also has some solid operating range and doesnt really need to rely on droptanks or supply ships for interplanetary voyages.

Finally have some ships that really fit my original ideas for AKS, flattened hexagonal hull cross section, turret mounted weaponry, simple and clean exterior with plenty of angles to give it a mechanical look, triple engine powerplant, and a rather well rounded combat capability with none of the three points (offensive, defensive, range/agility) being weak, but also not necessarily standing out in any of the categories either.  The class-II especially since i originally envisioned tapered down front/rear, but the reason most ships are just flat sides is because in practice wedge hulls offer less volume for their weight, and their armor protection is virtually identical for the same design style.

Well i think i have a fleet in happy with now...  All of these are uploaded to my craft repository so if anyone is interested give them a shot (im not one to keep secrets, if im happy with a ship ill release it so people can have fun with it/blow it up/learn from it.

Edited by panzer1b

My older ships were mostly designed months and months back and given minor fixes and updates here and there- newer designs are indeed a bit different.

Also, while I do use armor, at some point I don't over-focus on making something that's "un-killable", since I know it's far from easily possible; just something that looks good and has decent protection.

That being said, I'm going to have to delay that ship pack release due to external factors, namely a trip out of town for several days. I will have the pack up the second I can though.

• 4 weeks later...

Why no ramming?!? I spent 2 hours on a battering ram recently! Whaaaaaaa! 

Oh yeah, and I'm probably going to join soon. I don't have hyperedit because I play legitly (with Alt-F12 for testing purposes only), so whenever I deploy ships can somebody please hyperedit them for me?

3 hours ago, max_creative said:

Oh yeah, and I'm probably going to join soon. I don't have hyperedit because I play legitly (with Alt-F12 for testing purposes only), so whenever I deploy ships can somebody please hyperedit them for me?

Good. If you wanted to use ramming in a battle, i'd be fine with battling you. I had an idea for a "No Rules" naval battle club. I even made a Badge for it:

EHIUGii.jpg

On July 10, 2016 at 4:00 PM, max_creative said:

I'd battle you without ramming, and could probably demonstrate armored ship design better than quasarr could. The goal here is to carve your own niche for your shipbuilding style. If you'd like to fight someone who is a bit more of a newbie, I'd recommend @Sharkman Briton. He could use my ships and some of his own, so you could see armored ship design in a generic manner, and he is also likely closer to your skill level. It could help you learn how to fight, and him too(if you accept, I'd be giving him a little help via IRC).

On July 11, 2016 at 3:54 PM, Sharkman Briton said:

I'm back! Sorry for the abscence. Can someone please update me on whats new in the NBC? Like battering rams and mass accelerators

Mass accelerators are now shipkillers, 1.1.3 invalidated all mods again, BDArmory has lost development, and ramming is still banned except in special cases. Reason being that any well armored ship can *splat* a fighter without using any ammo for a free kill, and for ramming,armor is still the only thing that matters as you can just increase distance for extra speed.

46 minutes ago, Alphasus said:

I'd battle you without ramming, and could probably demonstrate armored ship design better than quasarr could. The goal here is to carve your own niche for your shipbuilding style. If you'd like to fight someone who is a bit more of a newbie, I'd recommend @Sharkman Briton. He could use my ships and some of his own, so you could see armored ship design in a generic manner, and he is also likely closer to your skill level. It could help you learn how to fight, and him too(if you accept, I'd be giving him a little help via IRC).

Ok!

I don't use armor plating. Cargo bays and lag are enough armor for me. I just shoot lots and lots of stuff at things. 

49 minutes ago, Alphasus said:

Mass accelerators are now shipkillers

What are mass accelerators? Sounds interesting... I might experiment with them if they're really that good...

9 minutes ago, max_creative said:

Ok!

I don't use armor plating. Cargo bays and lag are enough armor for me. I just shoot lots and lots of stuff at things. 

What are mass accelerators? Sounds interesting... I might experiment with them if they're really that good...

Ok then. 

Mass accelerators use rocket exhaust and decouplers/separators(I think) to push projectiles at speed. Oftentimes, I think that they take up too much space inside of a ship. A small mass accelerator doesn't work well enough in my opinion, so they do need to take up a lot of space inside your ship.

3 hours ago, Alphasus said:

Ok then. 

Mass accelerators use rocket exhaust and decouplers/separators(I think) to push projectiles at speed. Oftentimes, I think that they take up too much space inside of a ship. A small mass accelerator doesn't work well enough in my opinion, so they do need to take up a lot of space inside your ship.

Ok! Are they banned though? Because even my smallest stuff probably has some room. 

Are they similar to Danny2462's Mass Relay? Where two engines are facing opposite directions and when you fire it shoots things? For example in some videos with Special Agent Kirrim.

5 hours ago, max_creative said:

Ok! Are they banned though? Because even my smallest stuff probably has some room. 

Are they similar to Danny2462's Mass Relay? Where two engines are facing opposite directions and when you fire it shoots things? For example in some videos with Special Agent Kirrim.

Yes, they are. They aren't banned, I just don't use them because it can also be hard to gauge how much burn power and time you need, and to aim them, you aim the ship.

10 hours ago, Alphasus said:

Yes, they are. They aren't banned, I just don't use them because it can also be hard to gauge how much burn power and time you need, and to aim them, you aim the ship.

I already have to aim the whole ship anyways. Maybe by putting them sideways instead of forward and backwards smaller ones can be used as small cannons, along with missiles, and big ones can be put forward/backwards and used to destroy large objects! 

Hmm... I'm going to experiment and test this today... Maybe even build and launch a warship in a chapter...

Edited by max_creative
Typo

16 minutes ago, max_creative said:

I already have to aim the whole ship anyways. Maybe by putting them sideways instead of forward and backwards smaller ones can be used as small cannons, along with missiles, and big ones can be put forward/backwards and used to destroy large objects! 

Hmm... I'm going to experiment and test this today... Maybe even build and launch a warship in a chapter...

Meh, try it out. Meanwhile, Sharkman had an idea and I followed it. Motherships that can't move alone, but launch massive amounts of fighters... I'm talking 24 4 ton fighters with 2 missiles apiece in squadrons of 8, with 1 30 ton squadron leader equipped with ship-killers. They also have multiple anti ship armaments, like 8 1.25 anti ship missiles, and 8 long i-beams. It also weighs just 130 tons without fighters onboard, at 600 parts. That becomes about 2100 parts though, so all fighters can't be at the mothership at once. I propose Mothership Battles:

2 parties deploy motherships over a planet or moon. They spread their squadrons out over the space, dividing them up as they wish(for example, 6 squadrons of 4 with 1 squadron leader per 2 squadrons). Battle is conventional until 1 side loses 80% its fighters. After one side loses 80% of its fighters, that side's mothership can be attacked. But, there are 2 phases to a mothership attack.

1.Transit

The fighter/squadron has to travel to the mothership. There, it is attacked by either the mothership, or opposing fighters. All fighters can fire in defense of the mothership. The mothership can attack 50% of the squadron attacking it.

2. Attack

Coin flip! Winner gets to move first.

The squadron/fighter attacks the mothership. The mothership defends itself. All fighters can fire at once in a squadron.

Battle continues until one side A. loses all ships except for mothership or B. loses 80% of fighters, and mothership.

Only 10% of fighters can protect the mothership when the enemy is NOT in transit or attack phase.

Edited by Alphasus

On 12/07/2016 at 6:49 PM, Alphasus said:

On 12/07/2016 at 11:30 PM, max_creative said:

Ok!

So, are you guys going to battle? Because i want to battle. I don't care with whom :) 

12 hours ago, quasarrgames said:

So, are you guys going to battle? Because i want to battle. I don't care with whom :) 

I can fight you if you want. I have some reasonable 50 ton ships, so yeah. If you have 100 ton ships, I'll bring 2 50s per 100. Or 3/2 100 ton ships.

5 hours ago, Alphasus said:

I can fight you if you want. I have some reasonable 50 ton ships, so yeah. If you have 100 ton ships, I'll bring 2 50s per 100. Or 3/2 100 ton ships.

Beauty! I have an 80-ton, a 40-ton, and an untested 55-ton ship. So maybe... 3    50 ton ships?

Did you want to set things up this time? Pick your planet?

It might take me a little while to set up, simply because i still need to update to 1.1.3

9 minutes ago, quasarrgames said:

Beauty! I have an 80-ton, a 40-ton, and an untested 55-ton ship. So maybe... 3    50 ton ships?

Did you want to set things up this time? Pick your planet?

It might take me a little while to set up, simply because i still need to update to 1.1.3

OK. I choose Ike. 3 Core 3 Nanos then(Achenar, Sol, and Alioth).

Unless... You want to field a large fleet, and I'll bring in a mothership for a conventional battle.

My mothership is 130 tons, fields about 200 tons of fighters, and can't move. If you want, you could take 300-330 tons in instead.

It would be a test. You would be looking at about 2100 parts on my end though, but not all together.

Edited by Alphasus

4 hours ago, Alphasus said:

OK. I choose Ike. 3 Core 3 Nanos then(Achenar, Sol, and Alioth).

Unless... You want to field a large fleet, and I'll bring in a mothership for a conventional battle.

My mothership is 130 tons, fields about 200 tons of fighters, and can't move. If you want, you could take 300-330 tons in instead.

It would be a test. You would be looking at about 2100 parts on my end though, but not all together.

Im sorry, but i don't have any motherships/fighters that would be sufficient for that kind of battle. It will have to be conventional.

Edited by quasarrgames

3 hours ago, quasarrgames said:

Im sorry, but i don't have any motherships/fighters that would be sufficient for that kind of battle. It will have to be conventional.

Sure then. The Nanos it is. Persist should by up by about 12 hours from now.

@quasarrgames

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3IvrPbGhZWFMjIycWR6TEhPWTg

Achenar, Sol, and Alioth are ready.

Rumors of an opposing task force around Ike meant that the 3 destroyers were sent to investigate. Perhaps the comms were intercepted, and the opposing force will meet us in orbit.

I think I get first move since you requested a fight and I responded.

Edited by Alphasus

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.