Naval Battle League 2016-2018

It's been a while, I've missed the battle club. Basically when I left KSP 2 years ago I deleted everything, all I've got to work with is my mediafire craft. Can I get some downloads of current ships to see where we're at in terms of armor and weapons? I'm still using my shredder missiles and my "New" Drek is based on a 4 year old hull.

oP96tBT.png

But I have allready modernized the Jiji and created a new fighter.

W5tg0NY.jpg

8ULY8Kg.jpg

Pretty much everyone on the thread has a craft repository, have a look through them. But I'll point some things I can already make out from the screenshots. The hardpoints eventually had their impact tolerance reduced to 20, replace them. 80 is the best you'll get now. Basic armor principles have remained much the same even if they've become more and more efficient.

Just now, Spartwo said:

Pretty much everyone on the thread has a craft repository, have a look through them. But I'll point some things I can already make out from the screenshots. The hardpoints eventually had their impact tolerance reduced to 20, replace them. 80 is the best you'll get now. Basic armor principles have remained much the same even if they've become more and more efficient.

I checked that out, the larger structural pylons still have 70 m/s but it doesn't matter since the ship isn't built completely out of them, they're just the spaced armor on top. 

I'll check out craft threads and shoot some stuff at other ships, see what everyone else has.

@zekesSure! Theyre not the best example, but their decent. Some of the craft are experimental, but use the same armor concept. The pisces is a mass accelerator concept ship, the death is a large capital ship, the peacekeeper is a carrier, and the halo is just the smallest ship is could make. The breakthrough is a 25t ship with more i beams than seems possible, and the void has a picture on page 75, and looks vaguely like a metal snake molted, and if things can be armed to the teeth, the void thing has missiles up it's nose. I kinda used to idolize you for military ksp back when i was a forums lurker.

here are the downloads.

Breakthrough: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8s0tvchraercfnn/SC BreakThrough.craft?dl=0

Death: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2yyv1hpj5mzsoe2/SC Death.craft?dl=0

Void: https://www.dropbox.com/s/olbtuawggfpx9aj/SC Void.craft?dl=0

Pisces: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fh3l9lgrfntmiad/SC Pisces.craft?dl=0\

Peacekeeper: https://www.dropbox.com/s/onm2hepjyixtp36/SC Peacekeeper.craft?dl=0

Halo: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yfyrcw3nmcvilfu/SC Halo.craft?dl=0

Anyone else can use these for testing if they want.

@zekes Here is a complete download of all my up to date warships. This link is proving a lot more useful than I expected, I've already given to 2 other people. :)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ql9loshdxvw65al/AACvkcClNQzBE8hu-pw61i_Da?dl=0

The ships tagged CV- are not warships, only the ones tagged EX- are meant for combat. 

Other things: my 0.6m guided missiles are designed to be fired from 1.5km away at 0.0ms relative velocity for best accuracy, and the engines of every ship are bound to action group 1.

I only use wing armor if my ship doesn't use a lot of girders in the frame, and it's not too harmful to just have the projectiles go straight through the empty part of the ship. Even then I'd still have internal armor around the inportant parts. Also that drek reminds me off miffedstarfishes Poseidon class vaguely

Edited by ShadowGoat

1 hour ago, zekes said:

Thanks everyone for the craft, It will probably take some time to sift through the designs and figure out where my warships stand compared.

m20rbZ9.png

You are welcome to use anything in my repository, but be aware only the "new" regulator prototype is fairly recentish and uses some of the modern armoring techniques ive come up with during my sorta on and off hiatus over the last 2 months.  Also, despite being outdated, i have to say your ships are some of the few that have still remained in a useable state competitive wise, not the best armor anymore, but it still works against anything to an extent, those missiles, while very much outdated, still kill ships more often then youd think.

Anyways, welcome back, and we all hope to see some breakthroughs coming from you, afterall, a few years back and you were like the best warship designer around (even if your part counts such as 1600+ made my old lappy cry every time it tried to load one).

31 minutes ago, ShadowGoat said:

I only use wing armor if my ship doesn't use a lot of girders in the frame, and it's not too harmful to just have the projectiles go straight through the empty part of the ship. Even then I'd still have internal armor around the inportant parts. Also that drek reminds me off miffedstarfishes Poseidon class vaguely

Guess you also came to the conclusion that wings work if you make a super skinny frame internally.  My number one rule of modern combat: "since you cant make an invincible skeleton, make that skeleton as hard to hit as possible".  Ofc no structural panels is also kinda a bad idea, but they should be used very sparingly for things like bulkheads (wing ships kinda need them since they are very suceptible to excessive shrapnel amounts that just fly through the entire ship) and to cover the most essential things.

It might not be the toughest armor protection, but ive basically settled for wings+skinny skeleton and lots of empty space to abuse the fact that the odds of hitting less critical stuff is lower then the odds of hitting more critical stuff.

Anyway, as panzer1b said, nice to have you back to the forums, even if all you have left is your incredibly wide variety of media fire ships, that all happen to be various models of dreks. And one Wales class.

51 minutes ago, zekes said:

Popper IV is coming along swimmingly. 

With the older missiles, the Drek Twelve was indestructable.

S6plynw.png

As you just experienced, 1.1 changed physics ALOT.  The issue is that these days with multicore support, is seems that "phasing" has been considerably increased in effect and lower velocity crap tends to phase through armor much easier.  Also worth mentioning is that heavy armor seldomly if ever vaporizes incoming ordinance like it used to in the past.  Most weapons have a good chance of either blasting straight through a ship perhaps shattering into a few parts but not desintegrating completely, or simply being wedged inside the ship if low velocity, not like the old days where hitting a ship that had thick armor would instantly desintegrate the entire missile with at best a chunk of armor being shot off in the process.

"Layering" has also taken a nose dive in effectiveness against anything semi competitive as well, it just doesnt seem to stop fire like it used to either.  Personally ive switched to the concept of super thin and spread out skeleton with a good amount of redundancy thrown in to keep a particularly unlucky hit from neutralizing the ship completely.  Its not really finished, and the weapons layout is atrocious, but if you want to see a fairly solid example of a recent ship that uses this concept (combined with alot of empty space internally to let rounds just pass through harmlessly), check out the SK-204 "Regulator" Prototype i have in my craft repository (under AKS warships category).  Its also probably the first warship ive ever seen that rivals the best around armor wise without using any structural panels to protect it (well there are like 4 big ones in the back as a sorta makeshift bulkhead to protect engines but thats it).  Still capable of being killed with really lucky shot to the root girder, but its design and a few tricks i included with it make achieving this so unreliable you cant really count on a 1 shot kill.

Now if only i could find a way to fix the number one issue with every damn warship ive ever made that doesnt abuse 20+ ions clipped throughout the hull, susceptibility to engine knock outs...

Vpnggre.png

bYPjsS4.png

hYyCmVb.png

@Spartwo @MiffedStarfish @panzer1b @dragonaether @Joseph Kerman @zekes I hereby invite you all to the first annual interplanetary battle Royale! 4 ships each, 500t limit. As many people as possible can join. You claim planets on a first come first serve basis. This could be awesome. We each start on a planet, and go out to blow up the other people's fleets. It goes in order of whoever has the lightest fleet.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.