Naval Battle League 2016-2018

6 hours ago, ShadowGoat said:

Sure. I didn’t get to testing your ship last night and I’m not at my pc rn but I’ll get it to you when I can.

EDIT: Okay here is the link. I haven't updated the craft, and the kerbnet update broke it as it's promarily prode controlled. I'll test it on your ship.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nsw8ci586i41u43/SC Void.craft?dl=0

I dont really use kerbnet for 2 reasons.  One, it cant be made to work in separate teams (as in i cant have a given satelite ONLY work with a certain vessel while a different one is only for another ship).  Two, it more or less makes missiles useless since you cant (or at least i havent figured out how to) make anything like a droid control ship in the stock game.  It seems that the sygnal NEEDS to be originating from kerbin and then sent where it needs to go, and you cant just take any old starship, stick a relay onto it, and have the kerbal onboard act as a controller for probes in teh area.

Also, tested using your missiles and while they are very effective in general (one of the stronger missiles considering its only 4 tons per shot), they dont exactly kill the SK-IV with any sort of reliability or at least its no easier to get a killshot then using zeke's old super torpedo that ive been using at this point as the true test of a capital ship armor's worth (if it can survive 1-2 hits from those nasty 10t torps then odds are itll be able to survive a hit from anything short of fairing warheads which i consider cheating anyways so its irrelevant).  Yeah, i suggest you guys start experimenting with using MK-2 and possibly MK-3 cargo bays as armor, its far from indestructible, but combining cargo bays with structural panels seems to be the armor of the future aslong as the physics dont change drastically in some future update that is...

Yeah for such a small torpedo it can pack a punch. You could also test an old but somewhat devastating torpedo I made a while back. It’s like a shotgun missile. It has a bunch of I-beams attaches to a decoupler, and it’s main thrust comes from a vector. Usually shreds stuff, though it’s due makes it somewhat impractical.

Also yeah the cargo bays are weirdly strong. They don’t have that high of impact tolerance, and considering my torpedo can get going up to 100 m/s in 150 meters, it should easily be able to kill it. I think the panels might actually be acting as a shield. Either way, I could probably kill it with two hits to the same area.

On 1/22/2018 at 6:57 AM, ShadowGoat said:

Also yeah the cargo bays are weirdly strong. They don’t have that high of impact tolerance, and considering my torpedo can get going up to 100 m/s in 150 meters, it should easily be able to kill it. I think the panels might actually be acting as a shield. Either way, I could probably kill it with two hits to the same area.

Yeah, the downside of my armor (and any armor for that matter that ive ever come across) is that sustained fire to a single component is going to tear the ship apart.  That said, i think mk-2 armor might still be the best thing around as it stands a decent chance of taking 0 damage on a hit (ive had plenty of trials where i hit with your triple ibeam warhead and it did squat or like removed a reaction wheel or wing panel none of which i care about) whereas conventional armor is virtually guaranteed to get something blown off on every direct hit from a semi decent warhead.  Gonna take a break from another game i play and work on KSP armor design this and next week (they released a new vehicle and everyones bloody suicidin in them making fights stupid and boring, gonna wait a bit for everyone to get it out of their system) so hopefully ill come up with a few more decent ships. 

NAOlfL3.png

New model after eating 8 ibeams and 2 torpedoes, which resulted in the loss of 1 torpedo, 1 drone, and 1 SRM.  All in all, id say this thing is borderline ibeam-proof and still tough to pen with torps.

Also, i think im gonna go with pure mk-2 armor from now on instead of hybrid new and old style.  Ive found that removing all teh structural panels from my SK-IV doesnt make it noticeably weaker (it is a tad weaker but not that much) so now i got myself a warship thats ~240 parts, has 2800 dV (which is enough to outrange anything that i cant tank fire from or kill outright), and ofc i used the weight savings to upgrade my firepower by dumping those 4 small SRMs for larger ibeams.  It doesnt even look bad without those panels, and the exposed missiles on the front arent an issue since they were already automatically destroyed when anything hits nearby.  No reason to touch anything but wings and mk-2 bays, bays are super light (compared to panels for the same surface area and volume), resist fire way better, and have animations which can be used to make hangar doors and similar things all while being part of the hull.  Wings are obviously either for aerodynamics or for appearance (with occasional structural paneling when im in need of a different look).

m0Qz3r1.png

Classic 1st gen model with battle damage alongside the G3 prototype.

dbhA1Nj.png

And ofc my most recent model, the current gen-3 SK-IV with no structural panels on it at all and with purely MK-2 armoring.  Its just such a beautiful ship in terms of performance, part count, armor, firepower, range, TWR, ect.  If i get time, ill upload this later (and the new SK-III, V, and VI im working on) so you guys can give them a whack and test the armor properly...

Here. Try this. It's a little more heavy duty, as it's basically a cluster missile. Use the vector for acceleration the whole time and then just before impact hit space the launch the I-Beams. This is a little outdated, but still works great. The ship it's on is nothing special. I just sent it for the missiles. Tell me how your new armor fares against this. MWAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Cough. Stereotypical cough.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zcjqowbrpw8e8cm/SC Obliteration.craft?dl=0

@panzer1b

Edited by ShadowGoat

10 hours ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Aren't cargo bays a little like fairings, though? They resist hits for the same reason.

Im not 100% sure why they do what they do, but unlike fairings, cargo bays are DEFENETELY destructible as ive seen even regular ibeams destroy them.  I think the survivability has to do with the curvyness of the bays (its tough to hit a cargo bay spot on at 90 deg as most of the time ur hitting sloped armor which has been long known to work well in KSP as irl), combined with the reasonable impact tolerance (50 is nothing to scoff at).  That and im pretty sure their colliders are alot more thin which results in alot more phasing and non-damaging hits then regular parts like girders that have their thick colliders much more prone to being hit.  Ofc it may be possible that some of the colliders might not register damage correctly (like the entire non-base portion of a fairing, and the reason why fairings are invincible and thus banned from weapons and armor), but you can be 100% certain that they can be destroyed (and a well built missile will obliterate them, just a bit less often then classic panel armor ships).  Also they save part count compared to anything thats covered in panels, something thats generally good and they actually provide protection that is sorely needed in an age where armor has become nothing more then a joke (at best you could make it occasionally not split in half when hit by a properly build and well aimed warhead).

8 hours ago, ShadowGoat said:

Here. Try this. It's a little more heavy duty, as it's basically a cluster missile. Use the vector for acceleration the whole time and then just before impact hit space the launch the I-Beams. This is a little outdated, but still works great. The ship it's on is nothing special. I just sent it for the missiles. Tell me how your new armor fares against this. MWAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Cough. Stereotypical cough.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zcjqowbrpw8e8cm/SC Obliteration.craft?dl=0

@panzer1b

Potentially very strong (got a couple nasty hits) but its not really worth the part count investment imo when each missile is like 40 parts (i have tested a couple of 10-12t warheads that do comparable damage and are like 15-20 parts total).  Hit my ship at a variety of angles and only once was i able to completely destroy it (well not entirely destroy, but more like remove every single weapon which would render it useless).  A good number of hits did squat (as in no armor integrity loss, and a couple non-critical things shot off like one of the claws or a reaction wheel or one of the torpedoes).  And around 50% did moderate to heavy damage but by no means was the ship disabled despite loosing a few cargo bays each hit (still had a few weapons, engines, and droid brains operational).  Granted, i tried subsequent hits and like any weapon, hit it 2-4 times and its dead, but even in those cases its internals went before the hull fell apart which is just how i love to see starship battles play out.  Whats teh fun in 1 shot kills (which seem to be the thing before MK-2 armoring for me), i wanna see a nice broadsiding slugging match where both sides get stuff shot off but keep going until the end.

y7ewIsF.png

Still, it did this sorta damage often enuff when hit at the ships weak angle (every ship has that problem, hit it from the right angle at the right spot and its gonna loose something), so i would consider it a good missile even if its a teeny bit too heavy on parts and a bit heavy for my standards (i generally try to avoid weapons above 10t as they are insanely hard to counter).  Ofc the ship despite looking like a wreck did remain combat worthy even though any followup hits would have ended it.

xrzlHm7.png

Well my new cruiser is going well, albeit the part count is already trash and its not even close to finished.

pPxsq03.png

This thing is the first of my 2 cruisers im working on, the second of which is bigger and specially built up around a fighter bay and much cooler, bt also more part count intensive and with subpar protection due to well sacrifices to the core layout due to said fighter hangar.  So i think ill make the 1st one (above) a massive damage sink and make the 2nd one a more generic fighter carrier capable cruiser with a bit less armor and weapons and range.

You should arm it with sepratrons facing the inside of the craft. just line the frame with seperatrons facing twords all the crucial components. It will work wonders for you craft. Make sure that they all fire as the first stage and for all action groups for best results.

9 minutes ago, ShadowGoat said:

You should arm it with sepratrons facing the inside of the craft. just line the frame with seperatrons facing twords all the crucial components. It will work wonders for you craft. Make sure that they all fire as the first stage and for all action groups for best results.

You gave him a self destruct button.

@HalcyonGaming You know, add some missile port on the front of the craft. Add I-beam rockets (sepratrons pasted on I-beams facing away from the craft) or guided LF missiles. And for armor... cargo bays?

5 hours ago, ShadowGoat said:

Hey, let’s not be too mean to the new members... besides, I find vectors give better results. :wink:

Make some basic guided 0.65m torps, and stick a load on it. And some I-Beams on the front.

Edited by MiffedStarfish

20 hours ago, HalcyonGaming said:

Alright, I'm a complete newbie to this. I came here from Hatbat actually and found this poking around, I'd love some advice on what to arm my Aurora Class destroyer with? Mind you I've only been playing KSP for roughly 3 months so it's kinda crappy and a WIP.

You wanna use prolly a mix of unguided ibeam weapons (long ibeam+4sepatrons+decoupler), and some capital ship torpedoes (RT-5 or guided engine+probe with some structural parts for the warhead with 80m/s impact or higher).

pkbZKuQ.png

Anyways, off topic, made a light cruiser.  Tried various concepts but the best ended up being a SK-IV frigate converter to a light cruiser by adding a fighter bay on the front and extra fuel tanks so it can move somewhere while towing fighters.

rA37ImG.png

Also, another ship (destroyer) which i made after failing badly to make the SK-V.  Decided to try a completely new style from the usual AKS warships i make all the time, and made a ship for the faction i have in my campaigns called BC. 

Btw, anyone know what this thing is modeled after (hint: it is NOT a starship at all).  The bridge, reactor, and 2 upper weapon pods (on the very top of the ship) should be a dead giveaway as to what its modeled after.

Edited by panzer1b

13 hours ago, ShadowGoat said:

I KNOW THIS ONE

CHERNO ALPHA

Wow, didnt actually expect anyone to notice that one so quickly...

Basically was looking through past craft files one day, found my really old cherno replica (made not too long after that movie came out as i really liked its appearance, too bad it died without even putting up a fight), and thought that the upper body would make a great capital ship bridge on one a submarine inspired main hull.  I didnt even have to modify it much to make it fit onto the ship i was already halfway through constructing, and i think it came out looking really nice (the robit replica sucked though as i couldnt get it to walk properly 100% stock, so i shelved it and a few other robits based on the same leg actuation system but still managed to use the really cool top section).

sL6ifdr.png

And like the actual thing, the ship is armored like crazy (considering its only using conventional armor and not my new MK-2 hybrid stuff i started remaking AKS warships with).  Ive hit it with multiple torps and outside of very good luck, ive been unable to split it apart or even reliably knock out the main bridge inside the reactor superstructure (which was one of the main design features i wanted in the craft, a hard to kill pilot).

jsrecmf.png

lJcfFCP.png

Even after loosing that much of the ship it could still return fire as well, which is a plus.

If you guys wanna give it a try, ill upload it prolly on the weekend as im gonna be really busy thurs/fri and prolly wont have any gaming time like at all...

10 hours ago, panzer1b said:

Wow, didnt actually expect anyone to notice that one so quickly...

Heh. You underestimate the levels of nerdiness I have contained within my body. (Hint: It’s over 9000)

Anyway, I’m actually quite interested in this leg actuation system. Could I see it or how it works? Also do you have a working model other than the Cherno Alpha legs?

12 hours ago, ShadowGoat said:

Heh. You underestimate the levels of nerdiness I have contained within my body. (Hint: It’s over 9000)

Anyway, I’m actually quite interested in this leg actuation system. Could I see it or how it works? Also do you have a working model other than the Cherno Alpha legs?

I dont actually have any working leg system (hence why i shelved my entire stock walking robit concept), but the way it worked was a 4 part system.  There was the main body with tons of reaction wheels to keep it pointing in whatever direction i want it to move.  There is a bearing near the hip with 2 large wheels on each side.  Then each leg is connected to the edge of 1 wheel and goes up/down/forward/backwards as the wheels turn, alternating between left and right touching the ground.  Essentially its the same as if it was rolling on 2 wheels, but the wheels have 1 leg attached to the edge each and move them to push the robit forward.  Ofc the 2 legs and the body has to have ALOT of reaction wheels since i used aim at radial to keep them facing up at all times.

If i have some time on weekend ill try to look through my older backup saves as i might still have a version of the leg system (i never got it to work on anything more then minmus gravity) laying around, but sofar my current game doesnt have this or any other walking robit in it besides a couple based on the wheels on the end of a leg concept, or as the cherno i made, purely reaction wheel wobbling movement systems, looks authentic, but its a 100% rigid frame), but it was a pain to move anywhere and it required like 100 reaction wheels to not instantly flip on kerbin gravity.

Edited by panzer1b

@Darth BadieHey pal! Any chance that we could move this to the challenges section, as the games section really doesn’t fit this. It might seem like it would, but when most people think of forum games they think of don’t click this or guess who will reply next. I feel like this thread is really starting to stagnate and I find it a little odd that other battle threads are put in the challenges section meanwhile we are stuck here. Please? Move it please?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.