Naval Battle League 2016-2018

On 2/21/2018 at 3:12 AM, quasarrgames said:

@panzer1b, after hours of testing pretty much every kind of missile on your SK-IV, i think i can confidently say that ship is near indestructible. Except for rootkiller shots which happen about 5% of the time, the ship can soak up dozens of tons of weaponry which would kill other conventional-armored ships several times over. pretty much any part that collides with it is destroyed, no matter the mass or speed, and the armor just doesn't budge. The only things that showed some signs of success were rooter missiles specifically meant to phase through armor to hit the root part, or strapping a cargo bay to a missile.

When i first started using cargo bay armor i knew its partially-indestructible hitboxes were powerful, but i haven't realised how powerful until now.

It seems clear that until gear weapons work (even then i doubt it'll be enough), armor has greatly surpassed weaponry here. 

Thats weird, ive had good success killing it with 1.2m ASMs, its just that the round needs to be AP tipped AND it needs to be relatively powerful to begin with.  My G5 (updated G5 at least, not the one on the uploaded ship as thats the older APS tip, not new pure AP tip) will kill that ship with above 50% consistency when fired at a very specific angle at dead center of mass (itll vaporize 1-2 cargo bays and the root part).  The new model SK-IV not so much, but if it doesnt kill it, itll remove 50% of its guns and engines on the 1st hit.  Really, even ibeam+sepatron missiles will hurt it, albeit i will agree with your analasis that killing the core with those is basically not gonna happen (but ofc whats the point of having a strong core when everything inside the ship is gone).

Maybee its just my machine or something, but sofar i CAN and do kill/damage the SK-IV (even the newer updated one) using properly made 1.2m torps.  Ill upload the new updated model when i get some time, so you guys can both try its slightly better armor (its so good that getting a rooting kill is almost never a thing), and ill also post a bit more detail with regards to how i make competitive ASMs, there are tricks that i use to make weapons stronger just like how i make the armor stronger.

I also didnt really know cargo bays had indestructible colliders, but after a bit of research it appears only the "door" part is indestructible, the rest takes hits like anything else.  I think that cargo bays are fine though for use, since they actually give us the ability to make a good hull (not to mention the part count savings vs panels everywhere), and can pull us out of the dark ages where EVERY battle was basically a who shoots 1st wins (where ship armor sucked and most vessels carried enough ammo to take out 2-3 targets reliably).  Strognest armor is according to my experience hyrbid armor (as in MK2 with structural panels), but pure MK-2 is a good alternative if weight and parts is an issue.  Still, i think we need to ban any indestructible parts on missiles themselves (wheels are OK, since those are hard to use and i think the new physics has made them not work so great as the old days where a single wheel on any weapon would cut straight through enemy vessels), since missiles are already very effective against ALL types of armor, and its alot more fun when battles actually require tactics and strategy rather then just firing at a target's CoM until it pops (which up to now has been 2-3 shots max to kill a insanely well made ship).

On 2/21/2018 at 6:57 AM, ShadowGoat said:

ARGH WHERE DID MY SHIP GO?????

Eh whatever. I’ll just make a new one. Oh, and I’ll be building a new missile to counter that @panzer1b. Let’s see if I can make something that can actually kill it.

Good luck, and ill tell you if its heavy enough, impacts at the right speed, and has structural AP warhead (ibeams, girders, ect), it will kill it in 1 hit when shot at from good angle.  Still, i intended the ship to be survivable against most conventional weapons, and most of all resist ibeam spam which has been the bane of ships everywhere (until the SK-IV every single ship ive downloaded or used was reliably killable by a single SRM-6 launcher).

Ohh and incase anyone doubts my claims, here is what happens 75% of the time when the SK-IV gets hit by a G-7 torpedo (basically a modification to the G-5 ive had on my ships for a while)...

baFxdTm.png

Itll 1 shot kill the entire ship just like that, poof, nothing left but a cloud of debris.  The missile itself is 14 parts (16 if you count the decoupler/separator needed to attach it to a ship), 3.8t heavy (which is nothing compared to most of what i see on here with regards to 1.2m weapons), and is pretty much guaranteed to evicerate anything if and only if you hit it at the optimal angle.  That said, i am having a major difficulty destroying my new SK-V cruiser, so perhaps even this weapon will be rendered obsolete once i finish that particular ship design.  Its heavy (close to 100t, over 300 parts, but its got range, firepower, and thusfar is proving to be a complete nightmare to kill).

Edited by panzer1b

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2018 at 3:51 AM, panzer1b said:

Itll 1 shot kill the entire ship just like that, poof, nothing left but a cloud of debris.  The missile itself is 14 parts (16 if you count the decoupler/separator needed to attach it to a ship), 3.8t heavy (which is nothing compared to most of what i see on here with regards to 1.2m weapons), and is pretty much guaranteed to evicerate anything if and only if you hit it at the optimal angle.  That said, i am having a major difficulty destroying my new SK-V cruiser, so perhaps even this weapon will be rendered obsolete once i finish that particular ship design.  Its heavy (close to 100t, over 300 parts, but its got range, firepower, and thusfar is proving to be a complete nightmare to kill).

The new plates will do

7 hours ago, Joseph Kerman said:

The new plates will do

Sadly thats a DLC only feature, so even if i get the DLC (ill wait and see how the whole TT thing goes, worst case scanario ill stay on 1.3.1), ill NEVER release or build any warships using the DLC parts since i refuse to limit my ships to being used by those that bought the DLC.  Unless those parts come with teh stock game that is, but seeing how they insist on no new content and everything from now on being buy to get, i really doubt theyd release panels (which really should have been stock since they have nothing to do with making history that i can see but rather open up a couple new options in stock alongside the panels that are already there) into the stock game.

So I tried making a ship....

But....

'Twas a feisty thing. Kept wobbling all over the place like it was having a seizure and eventually wiggled itself to death.

So....I'll make it smaller I guess lol

29 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

So I tried making a ship....

But....

'Twas a feisty thing. Kept wobbling all over the place like it was having a seizure and eventually wiggled itself to death.

So....I'll make it smaller I guess lol

Struts can usually solve it, or autostrut for a temporary fix.

Just now, Temeter said:

Btw, if it was oscillation because of too many parts touching the water, try only to 'swim' upon 3 different parts, arranged like a triangly. That allows you to make 300+ ton ships with 300 parts and perfect stability during high speed cruise.

Will instantly tilt over when one of those pontoons get destroyed, though.

*Spaceship

12 hours ago, ShadowGoat said:

Umm... this thread has always been about space craft.

You see, I actually wanted to go into another thread, so I clicked on most recent post, but accidently got this thread. Then I just see 'Naval' and someone complaining about ships shaking themselves apart, funnily enough a problem I just had delt with myself. So one thing leads to another :D

On 3/7/2018 at 4:22 PM, Spartwo said:

Have a read through the rules but in general it's stock ships fighting in turns by sending persist files back and forward between one another.

So, we build spaceahips, arm them with stock weapons, hyperedit into orbit, and take turns moving and firing each ship?

I'm in! BTW, what is the current doctrine for armor, weapons, fleet size, type, and deployment formation.

10 hours ago, Joseph Kerman said:

https://imgur.com/a/7JoNY

@panzer1b, I think I broke it...

Thats a really old ship of mine actually, and from those pics it doesnt really look like its completely dead (i did design that ship around a fairly solid core) even when its missing sections like the front, rear (assuming at least 1 of the engines remains), and or chunks out of the middle.  Im actually quite surprised it stood up to anything good including the dreaded fairing weapons (which are sorta banned to my knowledge since fairings have indestructible colliders), given the aurora is like over a year old and based on the old SK-III hull (with additions in the front and rear) which is completely outdated these days.  I have a new SK-III im trying a new core layout with, but sofar its not quite up to competitive standards like the SK-V light cruiser (or even the slightly older SK-IV which was my 1st competitive ship in the last couple years) which may as well be my best ship as ive yet to find any weapon under 20t that can kill it outside of crazy luckshot to teh core which happens at best every 20-30 shots or so (really the only thing thatll consistently destroy it is fairing warheads but the same can be said of any ship hit by a good fairing weapon).

BopiVv0.png

Still, ive started messing around in 1.4 and im currently working on ground warfare a bit more then spaceships.  Made a very solid tank destroyer, which is small, light, carries a decent amount of shots, has enough armor to take some fire, and most important of all, it doesnt look like it came out of a dumpster (dumpster look is reserved for pirate tech, not AKS).  Also made my 1st dropship in the entire time ive played this game that im actually happy with.  Vehicles are stored INSIDE it, with just a little bit of the above tank sticking out the back, it has claws and docking ports so itll accomodate almost any payload from tanks to small bunkers, its insanely low on parts.  Has its issues, but itll land on the mun and anything with lower gravity despite having barely any TWR (4 48-7s pushing just over 25t when carrying a tank).

invc89p.png

Now all i need to do is make a slightly more practical carrier, the one you can see part of in the pics just doesnt have what i want it to have, mostly a large enough internal bay to store 2 dropships and 2 tanks with nothing sticking outside of it, and also 2 starfighters which will likely be externally attached (i dont think its possible to make a carrier carry that much stuff without using MK3 parts which i really dont like since they are insanely heavy and require alot of wings to cover up the ugly seams they normally have (MK-2 you can make a nice hex shaped hull with minimal use of wings to make the middle larger).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.