Naval Battle League 2016-2018

Just now, Alphasus said:

No, you have a link to the original persist. As in, you gave panzer that file to start. Thats the file with just your ships, all intact.

Ah. Yeah, sure. If you want to begin before we're done, go for it.

Just now, Servo said:

Ok, sure. Thanks.

8 minutes ago, Servo said:

Do you have the original link? In that link, Miranda is already gutted.

3 hours ago, Servo said:

Well... Darn. There goes the Miranda. I guess that's what I get for designing it for a minimum separation of 150m instead of 30. On the bright side, your fighter seems to be mostly out of ammo.

The Ariel moved to take out one of your destroyers, and did so efficiently.

Persist:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/4kc6bldhhwwep5l/Servo%20vs%20AKS%20%232.sfs?dl=0

With the loss of a class-IV corvette, AKS is forced to use the 2nd corvette in an attempt to take down one of the enemy's ships.  Taking a look at both targets, and noticing the Ariel has both more fuel capacity (and thus range), better armor, and vastly more firepower then the smaller model, the corvette decides to take it down before it can do much more damage.

After rendezvousing, the ship opens fire with the RT5 cannons, destroying all but one of the engines.  Switching to drones, 2 are fired doing more damage.  Finally, the ship unloads with its SRM-6M obliterating teh final engine and its final shot managing to turn the target into a cloud of debris.  Sadly the kerbal piloting the enemy ship did not survive, but all is fair in war and war, and well there was nothing that could be done to save them.  After the attack, the ship goes to the leftovers of its sister ship and pulls as much fuel as possible out of it in an attempt to extend its already depleted range.  Finally, it burns into low Duna orbit to try and outrange the enemy ship.

Persist

Also, something got messed up with my imgur album so a few screenies are out of order, rest assured i didnt quickload or cheat.

1 hour ago, panzer1b said:

*Snip*

Hmm.. Looks like the ship held up pretty well against RT-5s, but needs work against I-beams (mainly just armoring the engines). This bodes well for the design.

I don't know how you want to deal with the fighter, but I'll leave it up to your judgement.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c3s3d9btqfmfvu4/persistent.sfs?dl=0

21 hours ago, Servo said:

2 hours ago, Alphasus said:

Ok, sure. Thanks.

Do you have the original link? In that link, Miranda is already gutted.

Above.

Just now, Alphasus said:

Already tried. For some reason thats not it.

I see why. I uploaded another file named "persistent" to the dropbox, deleting the older one. I have a couple things to do now, but I'll fix up a new one this evening for you.

Just now, Servo said:

I see why. I uploaded another file named "persistent" to the dropbox, deleting the older one. I have a couple things to do now, but I'll fix up a new one this evening for you.

Ahh, thanks very much.

4 hours ago, Servo said:

Hmm.. Looks like the ship held up pretty well against RT-5s, but needs work against I-beams (mainly just armoring the engines). This bodes well for the design.

I don't know how you want to deal with the fighter, but I'll leave it up to your judgement.

Still functional, the FK-103 burns retrograde until it is back in Duna's orbit.  Being an ion drive with no damage to either the fuel or engines, it has more then enough range to accomplish this.  Afterwards the ship rendezvouses with the remaining enemy warship, and charges its remaining weapon, 1/3 of a SRM-6M.  With 2 shots remaining the pilot is extra careful to make sure she hits the target.  The first shot blows off a chunk of weapons and separated the two ships from each other.  The second shot hits square into the middle of the rear, but visual inspection shows no damage was dealt.  A detailed scan of the target revealed that the ship's internal engine was gone.

With all three enemy ships unable to move far (all that remains is RCS and unless i massively underestimated the amount of RCS fuel you have inside), it appears that the AKS strike group is safe from enemy attacks for the time being.  That said, with all remaining ammo being drones and a single shot of a SRM-6M, the captain of the last remaining class-IV corvette doubts that an actual compete kill can be achieved.

Therefore i say its a minor AKS victory, because all enemy ships are unable to actually engage any AKS vessel on their own (really the only way this would work is if AKS decided to park a ship ontop of the enemy).  Now i need to find a way to make my ships a little less prone to being 1 shotted to death right off the bat!

Also, a few tips for future ship building:

Your basic hulls are rather solid (that poof debri cloud the SRM-6M did is more luck then anything else and you cant really defend against drilling and luck based phasing weapons reliably nomatter what you do, the SRM-6M sometimes kills, and other times doesnt do more then minor damage, all its good at is targeting exposed stuff like engines).

You need to look at protecting engines.  You have a stack of 4 of them clipped together (essentially a single weak round can potentially wipe out the entire cluster with ease as you saw the 1st shot from the fighter do).  There are two approaches to engine protection that i know of.  The first one (and arguably easy to do) is to add a backup engine or 2, which have enough of their own fuel (assuming they dont use same fuel your primary engine uses) to give you ~500dV to work with in the event your main drive is kaputted.  The other option is a combination of engines that are fully enclosed, and make sure you propulsion system is spread out.  Mine isnt a great example but it gets the point across, the 3 engines are far enough away from each other that a single shot is extremely unlikely to knock out all 3 at once.

Avoid excessive clipping.  This is primarily with regards to the clipped quad nuke engine, but even so try to cut down the clipped fuel tanks too.  Those didnt appear to weaken your armor much, but they could have increased the odds of the whole poof-debri-cloud that happened to the 2nd ship.  Some clipping is fine (if you want keep the fuel tanks as they are as it seems to work), but if you want true survivability minimize or better yet completely eliminate clipped parts.

Your weapins seem solid, quite comparable to my stuff (i intentionally chose not to bring my high end competitive torps or you probably would have been 1 shot killed from any angle regardless of ship design, i dont enjoy 1 shotting every opponent and instead like to actually have a challenge and require some aiming skill).  One other tip i have it to lower the part count of those smaller weapons.  instead of having 6 sepatrons try 2-4 but with more fuel and engage from a longer range, itll give you the same lethality but lower the part count and allow you to use the part count for more armor or whatever else you want to bring.

All in all, great game, once i get my fleet updated (the class-IV needs a major overhaul asap) ill be glad to fight you again!

And in case you want to take a look at the game (or continue provided your ships can still move at all, heres the persist

Edited by panzer1b

3 minutes ago, panzer1b said:

Also, a few tips for future ship building:

Your basic hulls are rather solid (that poof debri cloud the SRM-6M did is more luck then anything else and you cant really defend against drilling and luck based phasing weapons reliably nomatter what you do, the SRM-6M sometimes kills, and other times doesnt do more then minor damage, all its good at is targeting exposed stuff like engines).

You need to look at protecting engines.  You have a stack of 4 of them clipped together (essentially a single weak round can potentially wipe out the entire cluster with ease as you saw the 1st shot from the fighter do).  There are two approaches to engine protection that i know of.  The first one (and arguably easy to do) is to add a backup engine or 2, which have enough of their own fuel (assuming they dont use same fuel your primary engine uses) to give you ~500dV to work with in the event your main drive is kaputted.  The other option is a combination of engines that are fully enclosed, and make sure you propulsion system is spread out.  Mine isnt a great example but it gets the point across, the 3 engines are far enough away from each other that a single shot is extremely unlikely to knock out all 3 at once.

Avoid excessive clipping.  This is primarily with regards to the clipped quad nuke engine, but even so try to cut down the clipped fuel tanks too.  Those didnt appear to weaken your armor much, but they could have increased the odds of the whole poof-debri-cloud that happened to the 2nd ship.  Some clipping is fine (if you want keep the fuel tanks as they are as it seems to work), but if you want true survivability minimize or better yet completely eliminate clipped parts.

Your weapins seem solid, quite comparable to my stuff (i intentionally chose not to bring my high end competitive torps or you probably would have been 1 shot killed from any angle regardless of ship design, i dont enjoy 1 shotting every opponent and instead like to actually have a challenge and require some aiming skill).  One other tip i have it to lower the part count of those smaller weapons.  instead of having 6 sepatrons try 2-4 but with more fuel and engage from a longer range, itll give you the same lethality but lower the part count and allow you to use the part count for more armor or whatever else you want to bring.

All in all, great game, once i get my fleet updated (the class-IV needs a major overhaul asap) ill be glad to fight you again!

Good game, Panzer.

I concur about the engine placement (as I stated earlier, I designed it for a game with a standoff range of 150m, not 15), but the part clipping of fuel tanks is mainly just to jam enough fuel inside the aft half of the ship to get a respectable amount of dV (2600). I may experiment with Mk2 tanks, but I like the Mk1's resiliency against being 1-shotted. Does this engine design look acceptable? The four nukes are still there, but a bit more spread out and behind the armor.ZFCFfDS.png

Aside from that, the sepatron missiles need work. Obviously, the Annihilator is effective at 1-shotting capitol ships, but I need to work on a .625m light ship killer that isn't 15-20 parts (A bit of math shows that over half of the D-62's parts are ammo. Any tips for that (I'd like to stick with guided rounds for more accuracy at a distance) would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, Servo said:

Good game, Panzer.

I concur about the engine placement (as I stated earlier, I designed it for a game with a standoff range of 150m, not 15), but the part clipping of fuel tanks is mainly just to jam enough fuel inside the aft half of the ship to get a respectable amount of dV (2600). I may experiment with Mk2 tanks, but I like the Mk1's resiliency against being 1-shotted. Does this engine design look acceptable? The four nukes are still there, but a bit more spread out and behind the armor.ZFCFfDS.png

Aside from that, the sepatron missiles need work. Obviously, the Annihilator is effective at 1-shotting capitol ships, but I need to work on a .625m light ship killer that isn't 15-20 parts (A bit of math shows that over half of the D-62's parts are ammo. Any tips for that (I'd like to stick with guided rounds for more accuracy at a distance) would be appreciated.

I cant say for certain how good the new engine layout is until i give the new ship a thorough test (ive already extracted its craft file from the persist), but it looks much better.  Especially like the angled plate which makes shots from dead astern (unless it managed to go between the plates, might make a shot trap...) rather useless (at least it should keep me from 1 shotting ur engines with a SRM-6M.

As for missile tips, i cant give you anything for 0.6m shipkillers as i dont have any decent ones myself (my best one is the newest Tribeam missile, but its like ~20 parts and quite heavy at ~2t, so the opposite of efficient).  As for generic weapons tips, i would cut down on RCS.  It takes some practice (and a particular skillset that isnt learned overnight) but if you can learn how to use guided weapons without RCS it will do you a massive favor part count wise.  RCS is great to have if you are using purely RCS powered weapons (like my 1st generation drones), but these are pretty much exclusively anti-fighter as they will never go very fast (unless its vernor pushing a ibeam or so).  That said, for the meantime, use a single RCS block that is placed in teh center (and provides you thrust so you can push the missile sideways).  Its weak and wont let you compenasate for a botched trajectory, but it does make aiming easier.

If you want a good secondary/backup/anti-fighter weapon try the following:  1 probe core (any type with built in reaction wheel), battery or RTG, engine (48-7s or O-10), fuel tank (RCS or LFO depending on engine choice), and a ibeam on the front.  This is my most basic light weapon, its effective and not difficult to hit a target with, and it can do some nasty damage if you hit a weakspot...

As for larger stuff, RT-5s with a AP tip (structural parts, ibeams, tires, landing gear, pick your preference here) work well, and are relatively low on parts.  You can always add a probe core like with your ASMs if you want to be able to aim it after deploying, but this isnt necessary if you are good at aiming the ship itself (most of the time you park the ship near the target anyway so you dont need guidance built in).  Ohh and if you have issues moving ammo from ship to ship just bring along a small service droid thingy that has 4 RCS thrusters on it to help move ammo around, extra points if it has a klaw so it can pick up ammo that had its attach points shot out.

I also think i just found the ONE major flaw with every single AKS warship ive made to this day...  I always had a habit of clipping a RTG with a probe core into the core (usually the root girder).  I removed that and i CANNOT kill my SK-CRV-IV with anything sofar.  Im not saying this is some super change, but it seems that my ships gain massive protection...

Edited by panzer1b

Does anyone know how to use craft files? If so I'm ready to use my fighter. I did a missile test by shooting it with a BACC booster because of a really bad launch failure where I forgot to add struts, and it survived. I don't know how to use them. Help?

9 hours ago, Servo said:

Darn... I was about to get you one with an updated D-62 (This one has engine covers!). If you're feeling sporting, here it is.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c3s3d9btqfmfvu4/Servo%20vs%20Alphalsus.sfs?dl=0

I used that file anyways. I can't place any maneuver nodes for intercept, however. I have tried a restart already

15 hours ago, max_creative said:

Does anyone know how to use craft files? If so I'm ready to use my fighter. I did a missile test by shooting it with a BACC booster because of a really bad launch failure where I forgot to add struts, and it survived. I don't know how to use them. Help?

Not sure what you're asking about here.

-finding craft files/downloading: KSP/saves/[saveName]/ships/[sph/vab]/[fileName] is where the files are put. Put downloaded craft files here

- uploading craft files: copy the ship you want from the above folder, then use a file sharing site such as dropbox to share links.

- editing persists: most of us use HyperEdit, which edits positions of craft, in addition to fuel levels and similar.

9 hours ago, Alphasus said:

I used that file anyways. I can't place any maneuver nodes for intercept, however. I have tried a restart already

That's weird... I don't think I screwed anything up.

In my continued attempts at saving on part count, AKS has invented ion thrusters powered by ionizing witchcraft!  Not needing a power supply or dedicated fuel tanks is really neat!  The engine produces enough electricity to run itself and has integrated fuel storage!

Well ive been working on improving the SK-CRV-IV after our last battle, and ive gotten it to the point where you have roughly a 6% chance of 1 shotting it (and that only occurs from a very specific angle).  Out of 30 shots (using your weapon from your ship), twice did the ship die, and of those shots all of them were from a very specific angle (which i an now working on rectifying for the 3rd gen model).  Hull part count is now at 182, although this may go up a bit with the production model of the 3rd gen.

WHile this is by no means the only weapon ill be facing, considering that part count actually went down with the new model by ~40 parts, and survivability of the engines skyrocketed (not a single time that the ship wasnt completely destroyed was it rendered immobile by a single shot).  That and not once was it actually disarmed either (discouting the 1 shot kills where its irrelevant).  New armor layout is working so bloody well!

Once our ships are fully upgraded we should have another match (this time ull go 1st so that you have the advantage).  I will prove once and for all how superior AKS armor is!

Also, your ship makes truly glorious debri clouds after its shot apart...
Au3WCT0.png

I think ill start arming my warships with triple SRM-6Ms given how a lethal a single bloody launcher is, not to mention that those things act as very good armor too since any hit to the weapon will destroy pretty much whatever projectile is shot at it (although teh weapon usually dies too).  Im so bringing a starfighter with dual SRM-6Ms too...

Edited by panzer1b

Looks like I'm going to have to upgrade my arsenal as well, though the D-62 is pretty much at the peak of my development (now that it has engine shrouds).

12 hours ago, panzer1b said:

Also, your ship makes truly glorious debri clouds after its shot apart...

Au3WCT0.png

And the award for most questionable compliment ever goes to... /s

4 hours ago, Servo said:

Looks like I'm going to have to upgrade my arsenal as well, though the D-62 is pretty much at the peak of my development (now that it has engine shrouds).

And the award for most questionable compliment ever goes to... /s

You will love the Core 3 Nanos when I get home. True tanks, but they sacrifice range.

Well, i think i may have just created the ultimate ship hull if you take into account its part count of ONLY 179 (+3 optional cosmetics).  Im not claiming its invincible, as it very much is NOT, but when it comes to being split apart this thing beats anything ive ever seen be it my own or anyone else's design.  Right now its major weakness is internals being killable, although im working on a ion model which should cut down on that problem extensively since i can redundify the life out of the propulsion systems, and possibly look into doing the same with weapons which arent excessively suceptible but do still get shot apart often enough.  

kmvM43f.png

When it comes to hull integrity, this was a shot from Zeke's 10T super torpedo which until this ship i considered IMPOSSIBLE to defend against...  Really its major flaw, the internals being guttable shows here because the entire internal equipment was obliterated with Zeke's superweapon, while the hull remained relatively intact.  Standard weaponry doesnt do anywhere near this sort of damage though, and the only way to really kill this thing with conventional weapons is either incredible luckshot to the core (which is so heavily reinforced it is like a 10% chance AT BEST if you actually happen to be shooting from a vulnurable angle), or simply emptying enough rounds into the ship one after the other so that you neuter its movement or weaponry (loosing engines is the #1 issue right now, sadly impossible to solve with stock KSP.  If i go LFO engines (which are way more survivable), the dV goes below 1K, and if i go ions (discounting my "Ionized Witchcraft" edition ion drives which i cant call legit because i edited them to have internal fuel and battery capacity) i run into part count issues (i could always make it with a 300-400 part count limitation, but that is WAY too much for something i envision as more of a escort or support vessel not intended to lead assaults).

Given i think ive found the trick to solid armor protection, im gonna try to make a starfighter utilizing the same principles and see if i can make a superfighter that has armor similar to a warship, but in the profile (and weight) of a regular carrier based starfighter...

@Servo

So, this turn was rather successful. In hindsight, I should have saved my lighter missiles to hit the Ganymede, which was only coated with wing armor as far as I can tell. However, Fate can still get more kills, so I feel that was a success as stated earlier.A crippled Puck.

Edited by Alphasus

I feel like I am obligated to whine about the fact that your ships don't have pilots...

Not too much to report (I don't feel like making an imgur album for it.)

The Oberon rendezvoused with Destiny and took two potshots at it with the annihilator, punching a hole clean through it, but doing little in the way of real damage. The missiles malfunctioned, so I could have gotten another shot, but I doubt it would have done more than save you delta-V. The Oberon moved to a higher orbit of Duna to stand watch on the deteriorating situation.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tv3fe0m23ulipu3/Servo%20vs%20Alphasus%20%232.sfs?dl=0

2 hours ago, Servo said:

I feel like I am obligated to whine about the fact that your ships don't have pilots...

Not too much to report (I don't feel like making an imgur album for it.)

The Oberon rendezvoused with Destiny and took two potshots at it with the annihilator, punching a hole clean through it, but doing little in the way of real damage. The missiles malfunctioned, so I could have gotten another shot, but I doubt it would have done more than save you delta-V. The Oberon moved to a higher orbit of Duna to stand watch on the deteriorating situation.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tv3fe0m23ulipu3/Servo%20vs%20Alphasus%20%232.sfs?dl=0

I stopped throwing kerbals onto these ships because its a suicide mission. My kerbals have something around a 33% survival rate when a ship is manned. I'll take my move soon. Also, the Fate is missing in that file. @Servo

Edited by Alphasus

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.