Naval Battle League 2016-2018

2 hours ago, 8bitgammers said:

sorry if the wait was annoying. i had other things to do that distracted me from the forums. anyways, i posted back my three ships here is the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=OKN+1.sfs

You need to post the link that pops up when you click "share" to the right of the file. This is a link to your homescreen.

Rr0mrH6.png

I decided to use my smallest and lightest craft for this engagement.

NePOyVb.png

I decided to attack the nearest target, the Prospero.

Ua2yTJF.png

5bNhirv.png

i then used the bomber's large srb rocket.

PFAKMCu.png

the results were not to my liking, but i did notice some internal jostling. something may have been dislodged.

aside from that there was not much damage other than the top of the craft.

link:

22 minutes ago, 8bitgammers said:

I decided to use my smallest and lightest craft for this engagement.

NePOyVb.png

I decided to attack the nearest target, the Prospero.

Ua2yTJF.png

5bNhirv.png

i then used the bomber's large srb rocket.

PFAKMCu.png

the results were not to my liking, but i did notice some internal jostling. something may have been dislodged.

aside from that there was not much damage other than the top of the craft.

link:

@Servo

Your move.

44 minutes ago, Spartwo said:

What do you mean? Have you decided to forgo mass based ordering for this battle?

Yes we have actually. You will notice that Sycorax, a 62 ton ship, moved before Servo's 22 ton ships. 8bit followed the same rule. The only person who would have to agree retroactively is me, and I'm fine with it. All my ship are the same weight.

Edited by Alphasus

2 minutes ago, Spartwo said:

You are safe now little kerblet

ooo now that is almost too pretty! 

Also, just want to point out how diverse everyone's ship designs are. Everyone has their own build style.

Spartwo: very sleek, like something out of Elite: Dangerous, with square noses, sloping sides, bulging side engine clusters, and a tail that juts out at the back

Alphasus: Utilitarian and effective, with a front silhouette like a squashed hexagon

Panzer1b: Sharing the squashed-hexagon shape with nice triangles and those distiguished SRM-6M containers

Servo: long and tubular with a jutting bridge, giving the immediate impression of heavy armor

8bitgamers: multiple styles, with lots of boxy and hexagonal utilitarian shapes

ScriptKitteh: Menacing diamond and pyramid-shaped ships

Me: Anything with mk3 cargo bays

29 minutes ago, quasarrgames said:

ooo now that is almost too pretty! 

Also, just want to point out how diverse everyone's ship designs are. Everyone has their own build style.

Spartwo: very sleek, like something out of Elite: Dangerous, with square noses, sloping sides, bulging side engine clusters, and a tail that juts out at the back

Alphasus: Utilitarian and effective, with a front silhouette like a squashed hexagon

Panzer1b: Sharing the squashed-hexagon shape with nice triangles and those distiguished SRM-6M containers

Servo: long and tubular with a jutting bridge, giving the immediate impression of heavy armor

8bitgamers: multiple styles, with lots of boxy and hexagonal utilitarian shapes

ScriptKitteh: Menacing diamond and pyramid-shaped ships

Me: Anything with mk3 cargo bays

Interesting observation. I feel that our styles reflect our inspirations, goals, and weapons. My ships designs are inspired by Zeke's pocket cruisers and WWII destroyers, and are designed with interplanetary range and use a modified RT-5 primary round and heavily armored fuel tanks and engines. Most of these choices stem from my warfare "campaign" with a friend, which prioritized range and survivability over firepower.

Alphasus seems to design around a heavy armor system, while panzer focuses on the SRM-6M.

All in all, interesting point.

15 hours ago, quasarrgames said:

Theres actually a very long story behind why i use that hull shape, and while it may be used by a few others, i will say that the first ships i ever made did use a squashed hexagon but had a step up where the rear of teh hull was wider then the front (rear housed engines/fuel, front weapons).  The squashed hexagon was actually inspired by this:serveimage?url=http%3A%2F%2F1.bp.blogspoand well combined that with my preference of 3/6 way symmetry and i made myself a ship.  The reason it was flattened though is because rounded just didnt seem right as the majority of capital ships in movies/games arent perfectly symmetric and i just chose flat over tall and thin and pretty much stuck to that basic style. 

Now as for my modern ships, the main reason they retain the flat hexagon is because it is the highest part count efficiency i can get while retaining a respectable internal volume and giving me a total mass of approx 60t which is the weight ive settled into as most practical (too much more and you are high part count and less efficient, much lower and you make too much sacrifice with either armor, movement, or firepower).  Ive tried many designs but the hexagonal style is the best cross section (its a minimum of 8 functional parts per external armor vs 10-12 for a 8 sided hull which doesnt give better protection (and i dont need the extra interior offered by 8 sides in a 60t ship).  Now the rather unique front/rear i created with the 4th gen model, and its stayed that way in the class-I, and was altered to be rear only with the class-IV which now needs the entire front exposed because it used 3 hardpoints, all of which are designed to fire frontwards and use unguided weaponry since there is no reason (until live MP) to use anything but part and mass efficient unguided weaponry.  Im actually experimenting with different variations like bringing back my very very old wedge designs that was the class-II (kindof like a cross between a NX-1 and my hexagon hulls, rear is similar to my ship, front tapers down to a single opening just large enough to fit a RT-5 or SRM-6).  Its the part count that was the major hindrance to my engineering, but now im actually starting to deviate more from that original design.

14 hours ago, Servo said:

panzer focuses on the SRM-6M.

That also has quite a history...  Originally the 2nd era AKS warships were armed with 6 ibeam weapons on the front (short at the time intended exclusively for point defense against fighters or similar unarmored crap).  The original SK-CRV-Ig1 (back then it was actually called a class-III corvette but i redid the naming convention so it became a class-I afterwards) had 2 triple ibeam mounts per side.  That later evolved into  centralized 6 shot launcher (which was upgunned to use long ibeams sometime along the road), still intended for last resort defense, but much more useful as a weapon.  Now back in 0.25 (or whatever the game version was back then, before we even had mk2 cargo bays), long ibeams were honestly mediocre at best, and the most you could expect to do vs a decently made ship was take out critical components, hence the centralized mount, and the cockpit with IVA targeting i developed around that time (i know im not the first to come up with that but i did actually invent that idea before i became seriously active on forums at all).

As for the modern SRM-6M, that came from the fact that the recent game updates (especially 1.1) seemed to have turned what was a defensive weapon into something that was one of the most mass efficient weapons in the entire game (not so much part count but a SRM-6M weighs ~3.5t and has the ability to take down many ships completely without even going through all of its ammo (and 3.5t is less then most high end torpedoes (and it isnt exactly that much higher on part count either).  As for the super compact package, i wanted something that was easy to reload (not useful on here as much since we generally dont allow support ships, but offline i will not just delete a used ship but use KIS to repair it and bring up supplies of fuel/ammo from a transport).  As for the name, its based on the "short range missile" from mechwarrior, and the reason i went with a SRM-6 over a SRM-8 (which does work btw) is both as a homage to teh old times where all AKS ships had 6 ibeams on the front, and because well 6 is a multiple of 3 so it fits with AKS and the 3/6 way symmetry thing (same reason ships have 3 engines instead of 2 or 4).  As for why they are square exterior i tried making SRM-3Ms with a triangular exterior, but they didnt look as clean and pretty, and they werent space effective not to mention annoying to reload when clearance was minimal, so i went with square sides.  Actually the original SRM-8 developed for a CTI warship (company selling its ships to B-Corp) which used that exact exterior, and using the same for AKS ships adds some dark aspect to AKS when it comes to business relations (and AKS ignoring copyright since they basically ripped off a weapon from someone else).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.