Spartwo

Naval Battle League 2016-2018

Recommended Posts

Decided to take a Kalash (in this case, one named the Et Tu Brute? out for spin to visit the Blade of Infinity in that save (for testing how much lag was experienced with 2 roughly 350-part ships in close proximity).

Rx2VLvt.png

 

Pew.

nIiyk3i.png

PEW PEW PEW!

GWhCw1l.png
qOjltsj.png

FATALITY

i3vdZny.png

I'm actually surprised my ASM Evo missiles still pack such a punch after being used across many major updates of the game.
Also, for the purpose of the test, it seems that the performance impact of multiple complex vessels in close proximity is greatly reduced from the past- a notable improvement, and one that hopefully will stick/continue to improve as the game gets more and more optimized and freed of bugs across future updates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That shows I really need to make a proper combat ship. I've stopped using armour due to the Co-113 doubling as a high dV mothership which really ruins their effectiveness here. I added some armour packages on docking ports but that didn't seem to help.

 

That missile looks deadly though. High mass and high acceleration. I just use simple SRB rockets which are not that effective vs modern ship armour.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Frozen_Heart said:

That shows I really need to make a proper combat ship. I've stopped using armour due to the Co-113 doubling as a high dV mothership which really ruins their effectiveness here. I added some armour packages on docking ports but that didn't seem to help.

 

That missile looks deadly though. High mass and high acceleration. I just use simple SRB rockets which are not that effective vs modern ship armour.

Before I set up, do you or I have first attack?

I'm bringing in 2 Boa bombers, and 4 Core 3 Nano destroyers. Boas come in at 30.1 tons apiece, and Core 3 Nanos are 52.4 tons. That gives me 269.8 tons, and puts me at +8%, keeping me within the limits of weight.

The Boas, Aurum, and Argentum, are well armed, and lightly armored crafts with 1 crew member.

tFBGf1l.jpg

The Core 3 Nano is a well armored, and well armed uncrewed vessel.

TTDOicR.jpg

 

Edited by Alphasus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alphasus said:

Before I set up, do you or I have first attack?

You do as it leads straight on from setup. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Frozen_Heart said:

You do as it leads straight on from setup. :)

OK then. Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your ships scare me slightly. From the pics they look properly armoured and those weapons are deadly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Frozen_Heart said:

Your ships scare me slightly. From the pics they look properly armoured and those weapons are deadly.

The weapons are a bit too light unfortunately, but they go quite fast. The armor on the Boa can only deflect light hits, and I don't know how much damage an SRB can do to the Nanos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Frozen_Heart said:

That shows I really need to make a proper combat ship. I've stopped using armour due to the Co-113 doubling as a high dV mothership which really ruins their effectiveness here. I added some armour packages on docking ports but that didn't seem to help.

 

That missile looks deadly though. High mass and high acceleration. I just use simple SRB rockets which are not that effective vs modern ship armour.

Don't worry about it too much- I originally created those missiles to take out stuff like Drekevaks and their ilk back when armor was much stronger. SRBs are effectively usable against modern armor much like i-beams against smaller armor vessels- you spam a bunch rapidly at the target, and the closely-timed, repeat impacts will often overstress an otherwise tough ship's spine or hull. (This tactic's not required as much as in the past, but still.)

Really, with weapon design at this point it's all a mix of 3 core traits- speed (how fast is the weapon/projectile), stopping power (a mixture of overall mass, fragmentation/armor piercing capability, and/or warhead effectiveness on more complex missiles), and precision (how controllable and accurate/precise is the weapon over increasingly longer ranges?). I-beams are not super-strong in terms of stopping power per shot, but have high impact velocity and can be spammed en masse to stress out a target's superstructure. SRB missiles are strong for speed and power, but weak in terms of accuracy. ASMs (guided missiles) are moderate in terms of power and speed, and higher-part-count, but have pinpoint accuracy with a player who can guide them in well. It's all a matter of balancing that triangle of weapon traits in a manner that suits your playstyle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Frozen_Heart

MN72kLU.jpg

Visual On Target

I had about 5 maneuvers to actually get to my closing speed, which was about 6 m/s before I fired, at a range of 750m. I'll remember to clearly document them next turn.

ktXqTGs.jpg

Missile Away

1 anti-ship missile leaves the Aurum.

Bf4UR2O.jpg

Hit!

The Sands of Infinity is badly damaged, and the crew are missing, presumed dead(I disabled SAS on every part of the ship so that electricity didn't drain as fast. It was draining at a very fast rate otherwise, and I think that the PB-NUKs were disconnected from the ship.I also took as little time as possible repositioning).

n1NDLHw.jpg

Ready to Leave

Aurum prepares to leave the carnage behind so that it can avoid the fire of the fighters that arrived with the Sands of Infinity.

xifFmcP.jpg

One Last Look

Distance markers of the debris, and a view of the separation between the 4 main chunks of the former Sands of Infinity.

UC5Gu73.jpg

Out of Danger

Aurum ascends to Aera's orbit, to defend itself.

Edited by Alphasus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure until I take a closer look but I think you hit the crew pod directly maybe? Each of the separated sections looks pretty undamaged just missing the one part that holds it all together.

 

Edit: Yep the crew pod was the only part of the ship destroyed from what I can see. :P

Edited by Frozen_Heart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Frozen_Heart said:

Not sure until I take a closer look but I think you hit the crew pod directly maybe? Each of the separated sections looks pretty undamaged just missing the one part that holds it all together.

Yeah, I think that the weapons sections may be out of power though. I also think that the engine area was removed from the ship or destroyed. They had 4 hours at about .09/s as the Aurum escaped, so as long as they had about 350 electricity they should be barely powered.

Edited by Alphasus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The weapons sections aren't controlled at all. The only probe core as far as I know it directly in front of the crew pod and that is still powered. Has no weapons or propulsion though.

 

Also have done my turn. Maneuverer a fighter up to the Aurum and fired at its engines. Fire volley didn't damage it while the second one shattered it. Pretty sure it was a phasing glitch as usually I beams don't affect armour like that.

After that the fighter had no weapons left and the Aurum's surviving weapons sections had no docking ports to steal them so I put the fighter in a highly elliptical orbit.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pt3d9dpiokd27ee/persistent.sfs?dl=0

 

4iDqpFz.png

HM3ii3p.png

jDR80TZ.png

tDMF2lS.png

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Frozen_Heart said:

Not sure until I take a closer look but I think you hit the crew pod directly maybe? Each of the separated sections looks pretty undamaged just missing the one part that holds it all together.

 

Edit: Yep the crew pod was the only part of the ship destroyed from what I can see. :P

Yeah, the Co-113's a nice ship, but in the future it's not always a good idea to put the crew pod as the core part or part of the spine- I generally make the core/root a structural girder and clip in via offset tool a QUBE probe core plus 2 RTGs and perhaps a pair of batteries for a sort of integrated "black box" core that won't break as easily, then put any internal or external crew storage onto the outer hull or other sections of the inner skeleton. Keeps things a bit more internally decentralized.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ScriptKitt3h said:

Yeah, the Co-113's a nice ship, but in the future it's not always a good idea to put the crew pod as the core part or part of the spine- I generally make the core/root a structural girder and clip in via offset tool a QUBE probe core plus 2 RTGs and perhaps a pair of batteries for a sort of integrated "black box" core that won't break as easily, then put any internal or external crew storage onto the outer hull or other sections of the inner skeleton. Keeps things a bit more internally decentralized.

That is how I built my older ships when they were purely combat based. Central spine with heavy armour round all important bits, often several layers. They were really tough to crack for the time and some people just rammed them with their capital ships to kill them. Though these days a single missile would split them open as weapons and armour have moved on so much since then.

wbQ9jzt.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Frozen_Heart said:

The weapons sections aren't controlled at all. The only probe core as far as I know it directly in front of the crew pod and that is still powered. Has no weapons or propulsion though.

 

Also have done my turn. Maneuverer a fighter up to the Aurum and fired at its engines. Fire volley didn't damage it while the second one shattered it. Pretty sure it was a phasing glitch as usually I beams don't affect armour like that.

After that the fighter had no weapons left and the Aurum's surviving weapons sections had no docking ports to steal them so I put the fighter in a highly elliptical orbit.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pt3d9dpiokd27ee/persistent.sfs?dl=0

 

4iDqpFz.png

HM3ii3p.png

jDR80TZ.png

tDMF2lS.png

 

I think that persist isn't the updated one. All I see are your 4 ships in the station.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Turn 2

I fired at the Blade of Infinity. Same kill as before on the Sands of Eternity. Argentum still has her i-beams. Aurum has a living pilot. Every co-captain aboard the Co-113s is missing, presumed dead. Moved into Nauta's orbit at the end of my turn.

Your move.

@Frozen_Heart

Edited by Alphasus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Alphasus said:

Turn 2

I fired at the Blade of Infinity. Same kill as before on the Sands of Eternity. Argentum still has her i-beams. Aurum has a living pilot. Every co-captain aboard the Co-113s is missing, presumed dead. Moved into Nauta's orbit at the end of my turn.

Your move.

@Frozen_Heart

Damn only 1 ship left with weapons. :/ Interestingly those shots hit the armour but still destroyed the internals, so maybe armour doesn't help much....

Going to have to take my next turn tomorrow evening as that is when i'm next free to play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Frozen_Heart said:

Damn only 1 ship left with weapons. :/ Interestingly those shots hit the armour but still destroyed the internals, so maybe armour doesn't help much....

Going to have to take my next turn tomorrow evening as that is when i'm next free to play.

Pretty much, armor that isn't spaced out from the internals, when hit, will transfer energy to internals via shock damage. That's how you get those kills, and why armor packages are only semi-useful.

Edited by Alphasus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Alphasus said:

Pretty much, armor that isn't spaced out from the internals, when hit, will transfer energy to internals via shock damage. That's how you get those kills, and why armor packages are only semi-useful.

It really depends on your armor- you really have to build it onto the structural skeleton separate from the internally attached fuel tanks, etc. for it to be effective, leaving breathing room for the plating to flex and move under stress. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Alphasus said:

@Frozen_Heart

Status update?

I'll take my move at some point. Now on day two of hangover so not really able to concentrate much atm.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Frozen_Heart said:

I'll take my move at some point. Now on day two of hangover so not really able to concentrate much atm.

Oh. I wish you luck then!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, I'm sort of new here.

Honestly, I've been a bit of a lurker, for a while

I started building military ships forever ago. They....were bad. Eventually though, I started to get better at it. Thus, the first fleet of DilloTech Industries was born.

Then my computer died.

This cycle repeated itself again when making a second fleet. The third fleet was pretty bad and so I abandoned it. Now I am on what I call the Fourth Fleet.

Many of the crafts I have are old and I have little battle experience, but I'm hoping that I can learn and improve. Since I don't see my craft beating out many others in terms of firepower, range or armour, especially now at this stage, I am relying on random ideas, which if they work will be called innovations and if they fail will be called "works in progress".

I would show some images, but I'm still trying to get that kind of thing working and I don't have many working craft to show off anyway. Suffice to say that my force really needs an update and half of it doesn't even work. My craft used to have what I called "dura-armour", which was essentially armour panels attached via girders to the ship rather than directly attached that could withstand a fair bit of my firepower, but that was ages ago and now that technique is practically obsolete. 

I'll try to get images up of some of my ground vehicles as soon as I can, but for now, I'll just try to describe them. Do note that none are that aesthetically pleasing or, in all likelihood, competitive.

Puma Tank Destroyer: The lightest of the craft that work. Carries three anti-tank shots, but has a very exposed capsule that I should really armour up. 

Feudal Tank Destroyer: Probably the least awful of the craft. Carries 5 anti-tank shots and has a "flameflipper" system to flip hostile tanks in a very unoriginal manner. 

Porcupine Light Tank: Carrying only two shots that I need to update as they currently vaporise in mid-air, the Porcupine has one distinguishing feature- the tank is covered in I-beams protruding outwards, and cones on top of them, which are designed to prevent flamethrower tanks getting too close and also to act as a kind of ablative protection against missiles.

That's all the practical ground craft I have left. I'll definitely be making more soon though.

Oh, and I apologise for the wall of text. I tend to make those. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dillonator407 said:

Hello, I'm sort of new here.

Welcome to the forums, and the battle club, Dillon

May your missiles purge your enemies and your engines outshine the sun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now