Naval Battle League 2016-2018

6 hours ago, panzer1b said:

Also, im almost done developing the 2nd generation AKS class-III corvette...

lrQWPs7.png

Bloody hard to kill the thing with both ibeam weapons and various general purpose torps (ofc 10t+ weapons still destroy the thing outright), and the best part is that while it tends to get split in half a little more often then id like it to, both halves usually retain control, mobility, and weapons.  You just turn one warship into 2 smaller ones.  That and the new claw layout (it sucks having to abandon a very iconic layout that every AKS warship before had, but combat comes before looks) makes it easy to reattach the 2 parts if you dont want to have multiple vessels after taking a nasty hit.  Now all i need to do is decentralize the RCS system so that each portion retains RCS capability after being shot apart and ill have the ultimate warship!  Yeah it still sucks in firepower and armor compared to teh best, but its like 1/3 the part count of the competition...

And the final version (with additional side-skirts for minor improvement to protection and well most of all looks):

uL0Qn7W.png

Couldnt get the RCS the way i wanted to (armor broke?!?), but the ship is in a state im quite happy with.  Few more tests and ill upload this thing...

Impressive vessel, looks very dangerous. The whole "ship reassembly in battle" thing is something I could never be able to do effectively in all likelihood, at least not without a huge amount of weight and parts.

Well, after creating some space vessels and modifying some ground vehicles, I decided that my force was still missing something- boats.

To rectify this, I planned to develop a new warship of the sea, but it turns out an older variant was functional. A somewhat heavy 90t ship I classify as an "Oceanic Assault Frigate", despite really being more of a destroyer, it is armed with three guided missiles and probably too many I-beams.

9Hc6XJF.png

Behold, the Watersprite class. It has an interior, kind of, which makes its armour likely weak. But its better than nothing. And its aesthetically pleasing compared to most of my vessels.

On another note, as soon as I make a smaller boat that is less ridiculously heavy and inefficient, I will be able to battle. Space, land or sea.

Not air though. Is air battling even possible in stock KSP?

25 minutes ago, Dillonator407 said:

Not air though. Is air battling even possible in stock KSP?

Not really... the closest you can get is stock-part aircraft armed with BDArmory weapons and AI autopilots, which can then be put in a "dogfight mode". However, no stock MP exists, so air combat that's all-stock is out of the question for the time being (from a technical standpoint). Weapons-wise, it's not impossible to make a stock air-to-air missile, but it'd be inherently unguided, so you'd have to get real close to an opposing jet and spam a bunch before losing your trajectory towards them.

2 hours ago, ScriptKitt3h said:

Not really... the closest you can get is stock-part aircraft armed with BDArmory weapons and AI autopilots, which can then be put in a "dogfight mode". However, no stock MP exists, so air combat that's all-stock is out of the question for the time being (from a technical standpoint). Weapons-wise, it's not impossible to make a stock air-to-air missile, but it'd be inherently unguided, so you'd have to get real close to an opposing jet and spam a bunch before losing your trajectory towards them.

Ah I see. Alright then, so aerial battles aren't really a thing.

I have a related question though. Can you use aircraft combined with other craft in battles, like tanks or ships? And if so, is it really worth it or is sticking to more standard craft usually a better option?

Also:

M5neYnu.png

What have I made....I don't even think this thing can fly forwards faster than a slug and it turns about as fast as the Earth rotates...maybe I should see what I can do with this thing....

Edited by Dillonator407
Additional information

Album

Sorry about the link.

3 MD-01 Core 3 Nano destroyers were deployed(Aera, Nauta, and Spacia) to Gilly.

Aera intercepted Sagitarrius, a missile slammed into her cargo bays, and bounced off. A second missile was fired, and the missile phased through. Missile fragments were stuck inside Sagitarrius, fuel in 1 cargo bay was destroyed, and the fuel was disconnected from the ship in the other bay. All the solid missiles were also detached by the hit(you could see them before they crashed into Gilly). Sorry that this took so long, and that the ship crashed. I request that if one of my ships is going to crash into Gilly(and has either missiles or fuel), please hyperedit it into a stable orbit. I'll do the same if the conditions are the same.

Persist

Edited by Alphasus

2 hours ago, Dillonator407 said:

M5neYnu.png

What have I made....I don't even think this thing can fly forwards faster than a slug and it turns about as fast as the Earth rotates...maybe I should see what I can do with this thing....

That (and your other stuff) kinda makes me think of earth destroyers from babylon-5...  If i remember correctly (and i havent watched that series in forever) they had weapons mounted in pods kinda like that (which also rotated for artificial grav).  Anyways, its defenetely unique in that noone else on here (that im aware of) mounts weapons like so.

Also, if you do want to fight us i reccomend swapping the pocket ibeams for the longest one and keep the number of sepatrons, those are heavier, but also offer considerably better firepower.  Its a night and day difference as most of my ships are near 100% immune to short ibeams (minus damage to interior caused by phasing, usually not going to cripple the ship even in large numbers), and even if you have half the number of long ibeams as your current ibeam weapons you will end up doing more reliable damage.

Finally, if it isnt too much of a bother id like to test these things (and give you advice if i find flaws for future construction).  Please upload them somewhere if you can.  Im no expert, but i do know how to armor ships fairly well (and unless someone else has made progress in this regard, my armor is actually the best if you look at its part count and mass, both of which are quite low).

Also, in other news, im almost done with a few ships id like to test out, so if anyone is interested id be up for a battle sometime over the next few days.  Just need to finish my newest FK-103G and ill finally have a bloody starfighter that doesnt suck.  The toughest thing is actually making the damn thing armored while keeping it under 10t AND giving it 4t of weapons AND under 100 parts AND strong enough armor to be equivalent to a weak capital ship...

Edited by panzer1b

42 minutes ago, panzer1b said:

That (and your other stuff) kinda makes me think of earth destroyers from babylon-5...  If i remember correctly (and i havent watched that series in forever) they had weapons mounted in pods kinda like that (which also rotated for artificial grav).  Anyways, its defenetely unique in that noone else on here (that im aware of) mounts weapons like so.

Also, if you do want to fight us i reccomend swapping the pocket ibeams for the longest one and keep the number of sepatrons, those are heavier, but also offer considerably better firepower.  Its a night and day difference as most of my ships are near 100% immune to short ibeams (minus damage to interior caused by phasing, usually not going to cripple the ship even in large numbers), and even if you have half the number of long ibeams as your current ibeam weapons you will end up doing more reliable damage.

Finally, if it isnt too much of a bother id like to test these things (and give you advice if i find flaws for future construction).  Please upload them somewhere if you can.  Im no expert, but i do know how to armor ships fairly well (and unless someone else has made progress in this regard, my armor is actually the best if you look at its part count and mass, both of which are quite low).

Originally the I-beams were mounted sort of mounted on turrets similar to the ones on the Watersprite (my boat), however after I made the missiles into pods I decided to extend that kind of theme to the unguided weapons. I did this just to armour the weapons a little, and make it easy to quickly add or remove weapons from a ship to make a new variant.

In fact, essentially all of my current ships are modified versions of a previous vessel. The Celsius was the first made, the new large unwieldy one is the Centigrade and was based off of the Celsius (it's basically a Celsius with a longer fuel block and more weapons, and with the central SRBs replaced with a single ship-killer large SRB missile. The Kelvin is a smaller version of the Celsius, with missiles replaced with I-beams, and the Fahreneit is a modified Kelvin. Basically, the reason I uses pods is out of laziness and to defend the weapons a bit. Maybe I could make a version of the pods that could reattach to the ship if knocked off.

NVmJLGs.png

This is just an example of how easy it is to change weapons when using pods. The original ship had I-beams, now it has missiles. I doubt I will actually use this version for much but it helps demonstrate the point. And excuse my laziness. Somewhat. Maybe.

I shall definitely see how the larger I-beams hold up. They shouldn't be make too big a difference to weight, although I'll have to extend the pods. Still, worth a try, and with your actual battle experience you know better than I what makes an effective weapon.

I cannot upload anything currently, but I shall seek to rectify that issue as soon as I can. The armour on my ships is essentially just a tiny girder (I forgot the actual name) with armour attached on it. I don't have the central spine that I think most well armoured ships do. It is notable that the engines are protected in a weaker way, and the barrel uses the girder armour attached to I-beams to extend it forward. My ships used to look like hourglasses because of the way I extended the armour out a bit to fit the weapons and engines. Now I'm going for a kind of angular theme with quadrilateral, hexagonal and octagonal armour shapes. 

Hwrkj8g.png

This above is the standard armour plating.

FUpG5bY.png

And this is what the barrel protection looks like.

I don't expect my ships to be particularly effective at first, but I hope that as I gain experience and advice I'll be able to become an actual to threat to someone's vessels.

Oh, and by the way, sorry about the wall of text. 

EDIT: Added pictures to make it less of a wall of text.

Edited by Dillonator407
Breaking up the wall of text

3 hours ago, Dillonator407 said:

Ah I see. Alright then, so aerial battles aren't really a thing.

I have a related question though. Can you use aircraft combined with other craft in battles, like tanks or ships? And if so, is it really worth it or is sticking to more standard craft usually a better option?

While aerial battles aren't really a thing, stock land/sea combat with stock weapons and VTOL aircraft (jet-powered units functioning like helicopters for the purpose of attacking, but then landing after you've completed your turn) has and still can work out though. It's been quite a long time since the last big stock surface fight on here, however, and that's partially due to the rapid changes the game has gone through and the attractiveness of weapon mods for use in surface/atmo. combat (like BDA, which has things like tank turrets and machine guns). 

IIRC I still have a BDA tank chassis I had started to stockify not too long ago; I'll have to find it and finish that.

1 hour ago, ScriptKitt3h said:

While aerial battles aren't really a thing, stock land/sea combat with stock weapons and VTOL aircraft (jet-powered units functioning like helicopters for the purpose of attacking, but then landing after you've completed your turn) has and still can work out though. It's been quite a long time since the last big stock surface fight on here, however, and that's partially due to the rapid changes the game has gone through and the attractiveness of weapon mods for use in surface/atmo. combat (like BDA, which has things like tank turrets and machine guns). 

IIRC I still have a BDA tank chassis I had started to stockify not too long ago; I'll have to find it and finish that.

I'm not very good at creating VTOLs and other craft that require precise placement of parts and movement, so I supposed I'll probably stick to tanks and such for surface combat. Or boats, if it's at sea,

Currently I'm shifting my priories back to space. I have all the main ship classes I need except a good fighter (I have loads of bad fighters, but not really any good ones, and none in my current aesthetic style). Perhaps I should work on that soon.

EDIT: Here are some craft files. Attached by link.

Celsius class Destroyer: https://kerbalx.com/Dillonator407/DTI-Celsius-class-Destroyer-mkI-v2

Centigrade class Cruiser: https://kerbalx.com/Dillonator407/DTI-Centigrade-class-Cruiser-mkI-v1

Kelvin class Frigate: https://kerbalx.com/Dillonator407/DTI-Kelvin-class-Frigate-mkI-v3

Fahreneit class Corvette: https://kerbalx.com/Dillonator407/DTI-Fahreneit-class-Corvette-mkI-v3

I apologise for the lack of images on two of those, I will work on fixing that.

Edited by Dillonator407
Added craft links

18 hours ago, Dillonator407 said:

EDIT: Here are some craft files. Attached by link.

Celsius class Destroyer: https://kerbalx.com/Dillonator407/DTI-Celsius-class-Destroyer-mkI-v2

Centigrade class Cruiser: https://kerbalx.com/Dillonator407/DTI-Centigrade-class-Cruiser-mkI-v1

Kelvin class Frigate: https://kerbalx.com/Dillonator407/DTI-Kelvin-class-Frigate-mkI-v3

Fahreneit class Corvette: https://kerbalx.com/Dillonator407/DTI-Fahreneit-class-Corvette-mkI-v3

I apologise for the lack of images on two of those, I will work on fixing that.

I tried the Kelvin frigate, and i have to say it's pretty good. Took almost a full ship's arsenal to destroy. 

However, the missiles were a bit inaccurate. I'd suggest rotating the sepatrons on them so they'll spin-stabilize and fly straighter. I'm not a pro at this by a long shot, just a friendly suggestion. 

Also, the battle between me and alphasus has been put on hold for a few days. Would anyone else like to battle?

3 minutes ago, quasarrgames said:

I tried the Kelvin frigate, and i have to say it's pretty good. Took almost a full ship's arsenal to destroy. 

However, the missiles were a bit inaccurate. I'd suggest rotating the sepatrons on them so they'll spin-stabilize and fly straighter. I'm not a pro at this by a long shot, just a friendly suggestion. 

Also, the battle between me and alphasus has been put on hold for a few days. Would anyone else like to battle?

Spin stabilization is a good idea, I will add that to my rockets. Weapon inaccuracy is already a bit of an issue due to the pod placement, meaning the shots are fired from the side of the vessel instead of the front.

I'm glad that it could withstand more than a single shot. I tried to make it be somewhat hard to kill due to armour and redundant engines.

I'd try to battle but I still need a fighter and I'd like to get more practice first.

3 hours ago, Alphasus said:

I think quasarr doesn't really use fighters often.

I see. I suppose I probably wouldn't use fighters either unless its a small scale or fighter battle. I'd still like to have one though.

Also, I really need practice. Last time I tried to battle myself I failed at manoeuvring and crashed into the Mun.

It would be rather embarrassing for such a thing to occur in the midst of a proper battle.

Edited by Dillonator407
Additional content

I have two new combat ships that might be ready for a battle.   They are very durable against being one-shotted at the root part and have engines spaced apart to avoid all being destroyed as well.  But it might just be that my weapons are not that good.  I have to spin-stabilize my I beam missiles, forgot about that.

Destroyer - 66 tons

QXaHlUN.png

Corvette - 34 tons

K06BOjV.png

On 8/11/2016 at 11:52 PM, ScriptKitt3h said:

I once had a bomber that was not VTOL, it held a few guided missiles that could separate and glide to a target as the bomber flew straight with SAS on.  An update might work even better with Juno jets and basic fins on the missiles.

Just a thought for another type of air vehicle for turn based combat.

34 minutes ago, sdj64 said:

I have two new combat ships that might be ready for a battle.   They are very durable against being one-shotted at the root part and have engines spaced apart to avoid all being destroyed as well.  But it might just be that my weapons are not that good.  I have to spin-stabilize my I beam missiles, forgot about that.

Destroyer - 66 tons

QXaHlUN.png

Corvette - 34 tons

K06BOjV.png

I once had a bomber that was not VTOL, it held a few guided missiles that could separate and glide to a target as the bomber flew straight with SAS on.  An update might work even better with Juno jets and basic fins on the missiles.

Just a thought for another type of air vehicle for turn based combat.

Nice starships, they've got some good aesthetics and seem well-sized for their mass.

As for the bit about atmospheric combat; yes, bombers technically can work in stock, turn-based battling, but just like VTOLs they essentially work like this IIRC:

Turn start+takeoff -> attack run -> turn complete, lands somewhere within the area of the battle (where it's possible for an enemy unit to attempt to attack it whilst landed).

17 hours ago, quasarrgames said:

Spin-stabilization really only matters on things like dumbfire i-beams from my experience- anything using an LFO engine or RCS engine generally doesn't need to be spin-stabilized, same goes for guided missile (inherently), since their probe core(s) and SAS units allow them to stay on target when fired "dumb" or when remote-piloted into a target.

Sure, I'd be interested in a fight. What's the stats on SOI, tonnage per ship, etc.?

I'm ready for a battle, if anyone is interested.  Keep in mind I only have those two ships I just posted.  150 tons, 3 ships?

Also, what's the current rule for taking weapons and fuel from destroyed ships?  Are you allowed to, or only for your own ships that were destroyed?

7 minutes ago, sdj64 said:

I'm ready for a battle, if anyone is interested.  Keep in mind I only have those two ships I just posted.  150 tons, 3 ships?

Also, what's the current rule for taking weapons and fuel from destroyed ships?  Are you allowed to, or only for your own ships that were destroyed?

Ask @quasarrgames. We did the same format but I had to put it on hold.

18 minutes ago, sdj64 said:

If you don't mind fighting against someone who has no current combat experience, and who is unaware of whether their ships can actually do any damage with their weaponry, I'll give you a battle. What planet/moon?

I've decided that I might as well learn from some hands-on experience. As long as I don't make any stupid mistakes, I should be able to at least try to deal some damage.

I think, and this could easily be incorrect, that weapons can be taken from any destroyed ship, opposing or friendly, but they must have detached from the ship before you take them I believe. Fuel, I have no idea.

55 minutes ago, sdj64 said:

@ScriptKitt3h gets first dibs if he wants, he posted first.

Sure, lemme go over my fleet and pick out my vessels- does Laythe work for the SOI for you, or would Duna be a better option? Either works, I just like the looks of both worlds for a nice backdrop-planet whilst in space combat.

1 minute ago, ScriptKitt3h said:

Sure, lemme go over my fleet and pick out my vessels- does Laythe work for the SOI for you, or would Duna be a better option? Either works, I just like the looks of both worlds for a nice backdrop-planet whilst in space combat.

I meant, I was telling Alpha that you get first dibs against Quasar but we could fight too if you want.  I'd like to do only one battle at a time though.

2 hours ago, Dillonator407 said:

If you don't mind fighting against someone who has no current combat experience, and who is unaware of whether their ships can actually do any damage with their weaponry, I'll give you a battle. What planet/moon?

I've decided that I might as well learn from some hands-on experience. As long as I don't make any stupid mistakes, I should be able to at least try to deal some damage.

I think, and this could easily be incorrect, that weapons can be taken from any destroyed ship, opposing or friendly, but they must have detached from the ship before you take them I believe. Fuel, I have no idea.

Alright, I haven't done a battle in over a year probably, and it will be good for you to get experience.  Let's head to Eeloo (assuming you have Hyperedit, if you don't, a close destination such as Mun is fine).

Around the time I was last really involved, people were starting to make the first super-modular ships with probe cores everywhere, that could reassemble themselves after they got hit.  There were some heated disagreements about what counts as destroyed.  For this battle I won't take weapons or fuel from any piece with a pod or probe core, unless it's a guided missile.

You can set up first.

3 minutes ago, sdj64 said:

I meant, I was telling Alpha that you get first dibs against Quasar but we could fight too if you want.  I'd like to do only one battle at a time though.

Alright, I haven't done a battle in over a year probably, and it will be good for you to get experience.  Let's head to Eeloo (assuming you have Hyperedit, if you don't, a close destination such as Mun is fine).

Around the time I was last really involved, people were starting to make the first super-modular ships with probe cores everywhere, that could reassemble themselves after they got hit.  There were some heated disagreements about what counts as destroyed.  For this battle I won't take weapons or fuel from any piece with a pod or probe core, unless it's a guided missile.

You can set up first.

Alright. Also, do you intend for the 150 tons to be a per-ship limit or overall (total mass of all ships combined) limit? I'd personally prefer the per-ship limit (since a lot of my ships displace around 100t due to complex structural layouts), but I can work around an overall limit as well.

3 minutes ago, ScriptKitt3h said:

Alright. Also, do you intend for the 150 tons to be a per-ship limit or overall (total mass of all ships combined) limit? I'd personally prefer the per-ship limit (since a lot of my ships displace around 100t due to complex structural layouts), but I can work around an overall limit as well.

I think he said that quote to @Dillonator407.

8 minutes ago, sdj64 said:

You can set up first.

Edited by Alphasus

4 minutes ago, Alphasus said:

I think he said that quote to @Dillonator407.

Oh well, either way I'm interested in battling someone who's able to do so in this upcoming week (after this week I'm a lot more busy between RL events and helping out HatBat with his KS ship submissions, plus my existing hobbies).

8 minutes ago, ScriptKitt3h said:

Oh well, either way I'm interested in battling someone who's able to do so in this upcoming week (after this week I'm a lot more busy between RL events and helping out HatBat with his KS ship submissions, plus my existing hobbies).

I'd say ask @quasarrgames as our battle is on hold till Monday. Off-topic, do you know if HatBat is still accepting surface submissions?

Edited by Alphasus

1 minute ago, Alphasus said:

I'd say ask @quasarrgames as our battle is on hold till Monday. Off-topic, do you know if HatBat is still accepting surface submissions.

HatBat and I are indeed still accepting surface submissions, though it's admittedly a very selective process due to the fact that only so many craft can be squeezed into one episode (or even the series as a whole), and that there's many, many submitted craft (possibly more than just on the thread, since I don't know how many people try to submit to him through alternate channels of communication) out there, and only so many can make the cut. However, I did look at some of your craft; the Core 3 Nano's one that I definitely have my eye on. However, no guarantees on whether or not it gets in at this point- that's up to HatBat at the end of the day.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.