Naval Battle League 2016-2018

Well im making new ships...

Finished my 3rd era rebuilt from the ground up HK-103 A.  It was alot of fun and engineering back in early 1.0 making them, but SSTO heavy fighters like my very old HK-201 (originally named 201, then renamed 101, then back to 201 since the 101 is something new now...) or even my HK-203 are just not practical at all since they are exceedingly heavy (40t for the one with 7000+dV after reaching LKO), extremely high on parts, and most of all use so much clipping they die to anything that looks at them the wrong way :(.  The best part is that said SSTOs usually carried 2-4 KDrone-S missiles, which have been completely phased out since their firepower is terrible and they weigh more then the new LRMs im using which arent stellar but actually do work).  New fighter is armed with a SRM-3/R, 3 LRM/Ts, and combines reasonable range (800 for LFO version, over 2000 for dual mode LFO/Ion model), lowish part count of ~70, and most of all is super lightweight at 10t!  Its basically got a bit less then half the firepower of a standard 60t corvette class capital ship in a fighter size/weight.

q6UrnFb.png

UNSexcH.png

And ive finished the 2nd gen class-III corvette, not exactly perfect, not quite happy with it yet, but it actually works (and its better then the 1st gen by a long shot despite gaining ~20-30 parts depending on weapons).

oSO7dEo.png

The sad part though is that it per tonnage, its like 1/4 the effectiveness of my HK-103 A2, similar range, twice the firepower at 6 times the mass, and its so much harder to kill a squadron of fighters because they are not only hard to hit with anything (tiny and notorious for phasing so much that high end weapons rarely interact with it), but actually have enough armor protection to render anything short of a long ibeam or massive numbers of weak crap useless.

If anything, i think ive learned a very valuable lesson, build small and just deploy more ships to match tonnage... 

Less inertia so they get knocked around more but destroyed less.

Size makes it harder to hit/do anything to.

Can use ions and retain reasonable TWR (which make mobility kills virtually impossible when used correctly).

Dont necessarily have much less firepower then larger ships even if they cant carry heavier ASMs (which are really only useful in MP since SRMs kill everything anyways and there is no reason not to get up close in turn based).

All in all, gonna spend the next few days designing sub-capitals with the same or better range, armor, and firepower then my heavier 60t corvettes...

Edited by panzer1b

1 hour ago, quasarrgames said:

@ScriptKitt3h

---

the Arcus cruiser Exsequor rendezvoused with the Singulatarian's Dream.

A volley of five unguided missiles were launched at it, three at the engines, two at the front weaponry. I think i destroyed the root part as well, or at least the root drone core.

Even after launching all the weaponry, including the PLOW, the ship was not destroyed. It's a sorry sight as you can see, but it's still functional. I am disappoint. 

Your turn.

Persistent:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xs4rfb5gt72yhg0/Turn 1 complete.sfs?dl=0

Welp, I'm not surprised the Singularitarian's Dream took  such a pounding, given that it's one of my older ship designs and is a bit of a fluke in that it is as survivable as it is.

I'll have to do a check once I load up that save file, but IIRC the root part on all my capitals is a girder, so even if the QUBE I'd clipped inside it is toast, if the girder still lives, so does the Dream.

Well i think i just made a breakthrough in AKS combat tech, the HK-103 B2 "Tri-fighter VI" (puts the A1 model to shame imo).

4gpC8N2.png

You guys had better hope i never bring these things into battle:

Virtually immune to all old fashioned fighter weapons (such as macey dean style ant-torps as well as 48-7s+oscar-B+nose-cone).

Resilient against most modern fighter weapons (ibeams of all varieties, lightweight guided missiles, ect).

Procedural style design just turns one dangerous flying object into many (destruction of core results in multiple smaller fragments each of which has weapons, propulsion and control).

Enough firepower to vaporize the average capital ship reliably and neuter all but the toughest most redundant models.

High TWR with LFO drives, high range with Ion-Ws (2300dV).

Centralized weapons coupled with a cockpit that lets me direct unguided weapons at the exact component i want.

10t mass classifies it as a carrier fighter, and the integral claw lets it attach to almost any location even on vessels that lack docking ports or hangars.

EvdURQl.png

Alright, so after loading up the save, I took a quick look at the battered and bruised Dream...

r47HebA.png

ebu3Zjs.png

Not unsurprisingly, the drive system had seen far better days, but was still functional, and the crew quarters and weapon systems were all 100% intact.

After checking up on the Singularitarian's Dream, I mobilized the first vessel in the force to move by mass (as in, mass of the ship when initially launched), the Razor's Edge, sending it after the QSS Eversor MK2...

JEF6Z2j.png

Spoiler

9Uc70ul.png
INpeu3k.png

After a series of long and short burns to fly out to the target and rendezvous, I fired off all of the lightly-armed Edge's Barracuda M.A.W. guided missiles at the Eversor...

ukVAY19.png
hJ0tWWj.png

The strikes battered the ship and did some noticeable damage to the outer hull panels...

p77vDP7.png
SwcIDKZ.png
HIvOBrS.png
YrYbCpX.png

...but ultimately didn't do nearly as much damage as I hoped, likely due to not having a very high overall mass per impactor for a guided missile.

XOgO2IJ.png
GuLUdaT.png
YHlqebT.png

PXzJzOX.png

After completing its attack run on the Eversor MK2, the Razor's Edge burned prograde and fired off its decoy units, hoping to camouflage its IFF beacon...

HvPQzZj.png

Persist

Your move now, @quasarrgames.

6 minutes ago, ScriptKitt3h said:

(snip)

First battle in a while where both sides are actually having some trouble 1 shotting people...

Guess im just too used to the veteran level games where people crammed like 10 heavy torps onb a single ship and had more or less 100% guarantee of a kill every turn...

Anyways, once i finish a few more ships that follow my concept of so called sub-capitals that im now getting into, anyone fancy a battle?  Id like to actually test out a few new experimental fighters (and yes im so using the new generation HK-103s), as well as my 2 new sub-capitals.

Most likely something like:

1x 60t capital.

2x 30-40t subcapital.

2x 10t or 1x 20t fighter.

6 minutes ago, panzer1b said:

First battle in a while where both sides are actually having some trouble 1 shotting people...

That's because the torps I were using were smaller than my usual 1.25 meter ASM Evo V2s, once I get to use those... things will get interesting.

@Alphasus

Found something interesting:

Spoiler

XJKaLhO.png

O1nVwiX.png

4KgykyU.png

The Quaesitor heavy fighter Rendezvoused with the Spacia (gravity was so low that i just burned towards it). After a heavy bombardment from the Quaesitor's missiles, the Spacia was effectively torn in half. The armor was also especially jittery for some reason, and kept flailing around like a glitched animal. I then proceeded to repeatedly poke the Spacia with a guided missile at about 30m/s velocity, until i hit something important (I call it the Quasarr Crack n' Poke tactic).

Spoiler

bFMYnPj.png

6kmCKbA.png

This is what the Spacia looks like now: no propulsion and no functioning weaponry. It's technically dead, but i put it into a 15km orbit, if you still have some use for it. The Quaesitor still has one guided missile.

Persist:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8qwqbtzf24yir9s/No Gravity is Fun.sfs?dl=0

@ScriptKitt3h

This turn went significantly better than the last one. I guess it was just my lucky day.

Spoiler

khCKeub.png

26yyZ6n.png

After checking up on the Eversor, (to which i was pleasantly suprised to find both command points, all three engine pods, and all ten weapons intact) The Exitium attacked the Nerf Herder. The ship had broken the most interplanetary law out of its whole fleet, not only by having the second highest part count, but also by nerding nerfs, looking scruffy, and being obviously inspired by Star Wars (all class 5 war crimes). It also seemed to have the most weaponry.

Spoiler

1Wjp4aN.png

JisW3QU.png

Look at those I-beams fly! The first shot disabled the main i-beam cannon.

Spoiler

yyfnYUR.png

xSfrMRD.png

dmjJ1ja.png

The second weapon shot somehow destroyed the Herder. It definitely destroyed the root part, and the engines, and split the ship down the middle into two pieces, each one with a missile and about 150 units of RCS. Wasn't expecting that. Satisfied, the Exitium left for a 400km orbit.

Persistent:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c66xczbdxtrvde2/My Lucky Day.sfs?dl=0

https://imgur.com/a/NJNbF

And Arcus is dead. No missiles left at all, and Nauta still has 1 ASM. Nauta first maneuvered to intercept the Arcus, and released one ASM toward her. The ASM caused catastrophic damage to the missiles onboard, and the missiles were flopping around from the craft before they just... snapped off. That was a bit interesting, as they broke off into a few pieces. The first shot also removed one of the guided ASMs. I fired off one AFM, and destroyed the 2nd guided ASM. The ASMs on board Arcus are gone, and the pilot lives. It has no missiles left, but enough fuel on board to maneuver. Hopefully the pilot will steer her back to Kerbin for repairs. I H-edited it into a 20km orbital hold. The Nauta ascended to a 60km orbit, at the ready.

My current plan:

-I have 2 ships alive.

-Quasarr has two ships alive.

-Quasarr can only have 1 ship alive by the end of this turn.

-Any one of my ships can destroy the last ship(with AFMs), because it must be Quaesitor(which just needs the missile targeted).

-That will leave me in a very positive state even if I can't kill the last ship because all I need to do is fire 1 missile off with Aera, and watch as its unable to be killed because Quasarr has no missiles left.

-End Result: Nauta is dead, Spacia is dead. Quaesitor is dead, Arcus is dead, Sagitarias is unarmed.

Edited by Alphasus

3 hours ago, Alphasus said:s

Well, I got something funny for ya! Spacia is alive! She can sustain electrical power, and she also has 1 AFM. Legally, its alive. 

Huh. Could've sworn the missile only had one sepatron, making it inviable. Guess i was wrong. Darn. Although i doubt any of those unguided weapons can cause more than superficial damage, for classification's sake, that's not good.

Also, that's a bit wierd that the missiles flopped around. No idea why they'd do that. It never happened in testing...

3 hours ago, Alphasus said:

NOT FOR QUASARR'S VIEWING UNTIL AFTER THE BATTLE!

Reveal hidden contents

NOT FOR QUASARR'S VIEWING UNTIL AFTER THE BATTLE!

Reveal hidden contents

My current plan:

-I have 2 ships alive.

-Any one of my ships can destroy the last ship(with AFMs), because it must be Quaesitor(which just needs the missile targeted).

-That will leave me in a very positive state even if I can't kill the last ship because all I need to do is fire 1 missile off with Aera, and watch as its unable to be killed because Quasarr has no missiles left.

-End Result: Nauta is dead, Spacia is dead. Quaesitor is dead, Arcus is dead, Sagitarias is unarmed.

so...Tempting...GAH!

So, whenever you're ready with the savefile, @Alphasus

12 minutes ago, quasarrgames said:

Huh. Could've sworn the missile only had one sepatron, making it inviable. Guess i was wrong. Darn. Although i doubt any of those unguided weapons can cause more than superficial damage, for classification's sake, that's not good.

Also, that's a bit wierd that the missiles flopped around. No idea why they'd do that. It never happened in testing...

so...Tempting...GAH!

So, whenever you're ready with the savefile, @Alphasus

Just add struts connecting the missiles to the internal hull. That way they can launch, but won't flop about. By the way, the unguided missiles can do something...

Tres embarrassing... File will be up soon. Mishun Compree 2

Edited by Alphasus

@Alphasus

This turn did not go well for me. Realising that the Sagitariis didn't have enough RCS to rendezvous with anything, i resorted to docking it and Arcus together. The upside is, it worked. The downside is, it was almost painful to rendesvous the resulting "ship" with the Nauta. On top of that, the remaining unguided missile was defective. The two remaining guided missiles knocked off one of the Nauta's missiles and an engine, but it was still functional. Another disappointing turn. 

Spoiler

TgEixL6.png

LZRUG5O.png

Fixed Persistent:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jevpcqtvm2sqe7p/My Unlucky Day.sfs?dl=0

Edited by quasarrgames

18 minutes ago, quasarrgames said:

@Alphasus

This turn did not go well for me. Realising that the Sagitariis didn't have enough RCS to rendezvous with anything, i resorted to docking it and Arcus together. The upside is, it worked. The downside is, it was almost painful to rendesvous the resulting "ship" with the Nauta. On top of that, the remaining unguided missile was defective. The two remaining guided missiles knocked off one of the Nauta's missiles and an engine, but it was still functional. Another disappointing turn. 

Hide contents

TgEixL6.png

LZRUG5O.png

Persistent:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c66xczbdxtrvde2/My Lucky Day.sfs?dl=0

I applaud your creative solution to the problem of Sagitariis, and I never would have though of that. However(I think), Quaesittor is your only armed ship left(and it only has one exposed missile left). You can look at the spoilers now. Not that the match is over, but it shouldn't matter. If Quaesittor loses its last missile to Aera, you lose. Further, next turn, you need to shoot the Nauta again. Otherwise, its ASM or AFMs can easily knock off any remaining any guided missiles of your ships.

@quasarrgames I was dropped into the battle of Duna...

Edited by Alphasus

26 minutes ago, Alphasus said:

I applaud your creative solution to the problem of Sagitariis, and I never would have though of that. However(I think), Quaesittor is your only armed ship left(and it only has one exposed missile left). You can look at the spoilers now. Not that the match is over, but it shouldn't matter. If Quaesittor loses its last missile to Aera, you lose. Further, next turn, you need to shoot the Nauta again. Otherwise, its ASM or AFMs can easily knock off any remaining any guided missiles of your ships.

Right. My plan was to only use two missiles out of the Sagitariis' three, so i'd still have two armed ships at the end of the turn. It would have worked, if only one missile hadn't veered off course for some reason, and the others hadn't bounced off and caused mostly superficial damage. 

In the future, i just need to protect my weapons better.

Oh, and sorry about the savefile mixup. Fixed it now.

Edited by quasarrgames

1 minute ago, quasarrgames said:

Right. My plan was to only use two missiles out of the Sagitariis' three, so i'd still have two armed ships at the end of the turn. It would have worked, if only one missile hadn't veered off course for some reason, and the others hadn't bounced off and caused mostly superficial damage. 

In the future, i just need to protect my weapons better.

quasarrgames I was dropped into the battle of Duna... Never mind. Thanks!

Edited by Alphasus

@quasarrgames

https://imgur.com/a/c5irX

Well, there we go. 1 missile into Quaesitor's remaining missile from Aera. Even an AFM can destroy exposed missiles, and that it did. I entered a 30 km, and I was very happy with the lack of loss of Kerbal life this battle. Quasarr, your ships are far better than before. I like your unique design style, and the simple, but effective armor that they possess. I will be reevaluating the MD-01 vessels, and the introduction of the CL-01 should be pretty nice. My plan wasn't needed in full, and all Kerbals will be able to return.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3IvrPbGhZWFYVZZVmNub3NWT00

My plan on turn 2.

-I have 2 ships alive.

Perhaps we could have another battle? 4 ships, 240 tons(+- 10%). Eeloo.

Edited by Alphasus

Alright, so given that the next ship up in tonnage from the Razor's Edge left alive is the Singularitarian's Dream, I took the mangled NX-H class ship out to attack the QSS Axima.

mbxCLLh.png
HS8HJaL.png

After a burn around the dark side of Duna, the Dream quickly caught up to the higher-orbiting Axima, and fired off a single ASM Evo V2 guided missile...

Spoiler

SmS6POX.png
5OVR46B.png

(Sorry about the camera angle switch there, it was difficult for me to get my bearings in Free cam mode)

qLucY67.png
yHrPELc.png
adoshzx.png
39hC8I2.png

... and utterly destroyed the QSS Axima with a single high-speed hit to the center of mass. :cool:

nfDxFlW.png

Since the lone pilot of the Axima had survived the devastating missile strike that obliterated her ship, the crew of the Dream willingly took her aboard into the rear crew pod as a POW, to hopefully be freed once the battle is over.

1O60KOZ.png

The Axima's a total loss, and now you've got to figure out your next move, @quasarrgames.

Persistence File

Edited by ScriptKitt3h
added a missing image in the spoiler

@quasarrgames

Would you like a battle around Eeloo? 250 tons, 7 ships. +-10%. Lots and lots of opportunity for fighters, sub-capital ships(20-30 tons), and capital ships. You could use the Eversor-class after improvements, and it could trade blows with the newer Frontier class.

If you do accept, my fleet will be:

2 Frontier-class Light Cruisers(144 tons)

1 Nano-class Medium Destroyers(52 tons)

2 ???-class Corvettes(40-50 tons)

2 SF-2 Fighters(24 tons)

I'd recommend developing some corvettes if you don't have any. I'd like to test the sub-capital ship design philosophy.

Edited by Alphasus

Hello, everyone. I'm still here. I just wanted to explain my absence from the forum because it was very abrupt. Firstly, i'm sorry. During that last battle i was doing, I had some IRL stuff happening and it cut it off a bit, and by the time I was back I assumed it was too late. I gradually lost interest in KSP over this time, but i want to get back involved with it. I don't think battles are my thing so Instead I will be doing my old craft review type deal for now. I'll link a thread where you can post craft files to be reviewed in a video on my youtube channel "Lord Pasta". Yeah, It's been a while but what can i do? I've been playing for more than 2 years now, and all of that has gone into combat craft so I think I'm a bit qualified even if my craft aren't always the most functional...XD. anyways link down below.

@ScriptKitt3h

Sorry this turn took so long, too. Hopefully this battle can get done quickly, as i don't have a lot of time over the next few days.

Still seeing the Singulitarian's Dream as the greatest threat, and with a hostage onboard, the Eversor makes a beeline for it. Damage was indeed superficial, but the ship's got weapons and OH MY KRAKEN you actually made the effort to put a POW camp inside the ship! You even purposefully obstructed all the hatches so nobody could get out! That's so unnecessarily cruel!

Spoiler

1N4VUuV.png

SZRhPNZ.png

Anyways, it only took one well-aimed missile to destroy the root part and separate the ship. All crew, prisoners, and weapons survived.

Spoiler

gLyz9pQ.png

EGTSd8B.png

After wasting a seeker missile trying to destroy the weaponry, it was decided to just mark them for salvage. the Exsequor and Exitium descended into the debris clouds and picked up the missiles via their claws. all three remaining ships have weaponry now.

Spoiler

JKPU5YP.png

g36yBIX.png

With the threat level heightened, the fleet decides to engage its experimental radar cloaking devices. The Eversor's cloaking device was slightly damaged in battle.

Your turn

Persist:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vjk34tl045p8tls/Safe n' sound.sfs?dl=0

Edited by quasarrgames

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.