[.20.2] BossSquirrelz's Mods

BossSquirrelz

Are you going to add spin-up engines and yoyo despin system for Star48B in future? I know they are useless since we've got SAS for stabilization, but it's the most kerbal stabilization system ever made IRL IMO:

1. We want a cheap interplanetary stage - let's strap it of control systems!

2. Oops, it doesn't want to point into burn vector long enough - let's spin it up to ridicoulus rotation rate and use teh physics!

3. It must be cheaper - let's make it an SRB!

4. Oops, the probe is falling appart due to spinning and we've got nothing to stop it... Hmmm... Let's throw away 2 counter masses on ridicoulusly long rope and use dah physics.

Though I think the letter would require some plugin work...

I feel like the Delta II is too small. Did you 64% it?

The proportions just seem...off. Also the third stage should be partially inside the top part of the second instead of floating above. The model fits fine it just needs to have the node lowered on the second stage. Other than that, it seems to be a fine job! :D

Are you going to add spin-up engines and yoyo despin system for Star48B in future?

Yes.

most kerbal stabilization system ever made IRL IMO:

That sounds good.

1. We want a cheap interplanetary stage - let's strap it of control systems!

Ok. No ASAS, RCS, SAS, and no gimbal.

2. Oops, it doesn't want to point into burn vector long enough - let's spin it up to ridicoulus rotation rate and use teh physics!

3. It must be cheaper - let's make it an SRB!

I gave the Star 48B A throttle, so it could be used as a proper interplanetary stage. But I could make it a crazy SRB. That would be interesting.

4. Oops, the probe is falling appart due to spinning and we've got nothing to stop it... Hmmm... Let's throw away 2 counter masses on ridicoulusly long rope and use dah physics.

Though I think the letter would require some plugin work...

Or i could just use spin-down rockets or SAS... but that would be lame... KAS?

The third stage should be partially inside the top part of the second instead of floating above. The model fits fine it just needs to have the node lowered on the second stage. Other than that, it seems to be a fine job

Found that error. Thanks

Updates soon.

KAS for despin seems logical. Though I wonder how will KSP physics handle the conservation of angular momentum, espcecially when moment of inertia is manipulated with KAS - it may act wierd.

And if the spin stablization is implemented the gimbaling on Star won't be necessary - one would just point it into the node while still attached to second stage (which would have sas), disable SAS, MJ etc. once it stablizes decouple and imediatelly spin it up, like IRL - it should keep the vector than, without any input besides throttle.

Also you could actually include an realistic, SRB version of Star48, though it could be added by users themselves, it's just making few changes to part.cfg file after all. That would be quite chalenging - one would need to make a node on some LKO parked dummy-satelite,

and than use e.g. Tweakable Parameters mod to fill it with ammount of fuel giving exactly the dv of that node before take-off - which would require manual calculation of dv with rocket equation. Sounds fun to me, not sure about other users though :D

KAS for despin seems logical. Though I wonder how will KSP physics handle the conservation of angular momentum, espcecially when moment of inertia is manipulated with KAS - it may act wierd.

KAS sounds like a good idea. I would rather put despin rockets on the Star48B, but I'll consider it.

And if the spin stablization is implemented the gimbaling on Star won't be necessary - one would just point it into the node while still attached to second stage (which would have sas), disable SAS, MJ etc. once it stablizes decouple and imediatelly spin it up, like IRL - it should keep the vector than, without any input besides throttle.

IRL the spin-up motors are on the second stage. It wouldn't be realistic to put them on the Star48B. I've ran into a problem whilst testing the idea of a spun-up Star48B: how to spin-up the Star48B, while the second stage is still running. So the only easy way to get around that problem would be to put the spin-up rockets on the Star48B, which would be unrealistic.

Also you could actually include an realistic, SRB version of Star48, though it could be added by users themselves, it's just making few changes to part.cfg file after all. That would be quite chalenging - one would need to make a node on some LKO parked dummy-satelite,

and than use e.g. Tweakable Parameters mod to fill it with ammount of fuel giving exactly the dv of that node before take-off - which would require manual calculation of dv with rocket equation. Sounds fun to me, not sure about other users though.

Unlike all of the SRBs in the game, I enabled engine shutdown so users could get semi-accurate results during burn times. For gameplay reasons, I'm not interested in a lot of that. But it sounds rather interesting to me.

Thanks for the ideas.

Edited by BossSquirrelz

I think that's too much work to be worth it. It's not needed in KSP's current form. If anything it will cause more screwups and make the rocket less useful.

I'm not gonna do the whole KAS-despin-blah-blah-blah, but I'm going to put in spin-up rockets.

pretty! very pretty!

EDIT:

also, there's nothing inherently requiring SRB's in the game to lack throttle control, it's just a factor in the .cfg

I wonder if there is some way to set it so it's either FULLY ON or off, 100% thrust or 0% with no middle ground?

Edited by kahlzun

• 3 weeks later...

I like the modaling you did with the cargo shuttle but there are some bugs need fixing and some thing that need changeing.

1. The fairings think there stack decouplers and decouple like them

2. Can you make the main engine unit not a pod please but an engine please

3. can you scale it up se you can fit 2.5m parts with room to spare for solar panels please

Im not trying to be mean i'm only makeing sergestions to make it a bit more playable thanks