What was your greatest achievement in KSP?

SiliconPyro

For many it might be their first Mun landing. For others possibly reaching orbit before a map view.

The moment I felt most excited about what I had just done was when I rendezvoused two spacecraft in version 17.1, just a few days before we got maneuver nodes and docking. It took a lot of work and even more patience, but when those two rockets gently bumped nose to nose over Kerbin I was totally elated. Better than I felt landing in IVA, better than landing on Dres with almost exactly the fuel I'd calculated I would need. It may not be much to anyone else, but that was my highest point in KSP.

What's yours?

Semi successfully performing my first Mun landing (I say semi because one of the landing legs blew up, but a silver linfing to this is that i used the extra fuel i had to zip around the Munar surface :D)

My 1 mission to Gilly and Eve in a 3 man capsule.All stock , no cheats used.God damn monster had a 200 ton transfer stage powered by 1 nuclear engine.The mission was 7-8 hours in real time , but the feeling of landing both on Gilly and Eve in a single mission was fantastic.

My greatest exploration achievement is my permanent base on Duna.

My greatest construction achievement is either my Sky-ORC SSTO plane, or my Interplanetary corvette, because it is so useful and sleek. Or it could be my refueling depot that carried over two orange tanks worth of fuel to any planet surface.

Getting my first Kerbal into orbit in my Space Race campaign, and using up all my fuel in a vain attempt to circularize to 80km, I realize I've stranded him in orbit. Never giving up, I remember I am still attached to my second stage. I wait until apoapsis, and jettison my rocket body retrograde. I check the map and grin like a boss: the periapsis dipped below 75k to 68,860... just enough to aerobrake and return my Kerbal home after 7 orbits.

Edited by inigma

That first IVA Mun landing was pretty exciting, but I felt a much greater sense of accomplishment when I pulled off a reasonably efficient (i.e. launch, circularize, one transfer burn, brake within a few hundred meters of the target and RCS the rest of the way) LKO rendezvous with no external mathematical assistance. I used the map view to see inclinations and phase angles, but the rest was done with standard HUD instrumentation, a notepad, and my grandfather's slide rule. Turns out that degree in physics is good for something, but it took a couple tries before I could crank through the math fast enough to keep up without pausing the game.

The amusing part came when I started that little project by looking for information on quick-and-dirty rendezvous techniques. Google quickly led me to a 1963 Ph.D. thesis by some guy named Edwin Aldrin Jr., with a dedication that reads

In the hopes that this work may in some way contribute to their exploration of space, this is dedicated to the crew members of this country's present and future manned space programs. If only I could join them in their exciting endeavors!

I'd say Dr. Aldrin got his wish.

Finally getting the spacecraft to orbit (Got the game today)

Lots of reading and trial-n-error to get staging to work. (all stock and will not be using mods i think)

Next step is either getting to mum or start building a spacestation. Still havent figured out how to plan and drag lines to intercept the moon. Will keep on reading.

Got 3 sat's orbiting earth helping NSA to capture phonecalls. ;)

Maybe not the greatest but tho one i remember the most:

Journey to Tylo and back with one kerbal, stock. Before we got docking ports, orange tanks, probe bodies and fancy maneuver nodes (0.17 patch). In 74! parts that is.

I remember I was sending a probe to do a mapping mission of Laythe a while ago. I'd underestimated the fuel requirements, and ended up entering the Jool system with only about 300 m/s of delta-V left. Fortunately, I had just learned what aerobraking was, and attempted it with vigour. I ended up aerobraking through Jool just enough to prevent escape, and used a second pass to lower my apoapsis further. I then made a very minor burn, about 100 m/s, and did a flyby about 5 km above Tylo's north pole. This changed my inclination to about 80 degrees, and sent my apoapsis to the edge of Jool's SoI. When there, I made another minor burn (this time about 20 m/s) and ended up on a Laythe intercept. I performed my third-ever aerobrake in Laythe's atmosphere, which captured me in a near-circular orbit on the first pass. I raised my orbit out of the atmosphere, and made the minor adjustment to fix my inclination to nearly 90. All told, I had a third of my probe's fuel left.

It was the first time I'd used aerobraking or gravity assists, and I'm quite proud of how it all turned out. It's not particularly exceptional, but it was a landmark for me.

Every new goal I achieve seems to top the previous in my mind. I still get great satisfaction out of making orbit, and landing craft as well as having all my stages work as designed on any craft I launch.

Though my first ever Mun landing is probably my most exciting achievment in my mind.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.