What was your greatest achievement in KSP?

SiliconPyro

Getting my Kerbals safely to Duna and back in a 4 launch mission with 4 seperate rendezvous and docking maneuvers.

Also my Low Orbit Space Station (LOSS) orbiting Kerbin.

All stock parts and no MechJeb.

Edited by FlamedSteak

When it was done, did you look at it and say: "Now that is a complete LOSS."

I called it LOSS because I thought it was doomed to failure. Which it almost was when I was trying to dock a big orange tank (with a very unbalanced RTS system) on it.

It's an ugly heap of junk, but it's my ugly heap of junk.

loss2.png

Edited by FlamedSteak

I think it would have to be my manned landing on Eeloo, using stock and no cheats. Then on the return to Kerbin, running out of fuel while in solar orbit and sending a rescue mission up, rendezvousing, then getting them home to Kerbin.

I think it would have to be my manned landing on Eeloo, using stock and no cheats. Then on the return to Kerbin, running out of fuel while in solar orbit and sending a rescue mission up, rendezvousing, then getting them home to Kerbin.

How was it rendezvousing in Kerbol orbit? I haven't tried it but I imagine it would be a pain, depending on your orbit.

Right now I really don't know--it could be a tossup between my Duna/Ike landings and my Moho unmanned missions, if distance is the key factor here. But I've also done non-aircraft SSTO and aircraft SSTO (both able to get back to KSC in one piece). I hope my upcoming attempts to visit Jool and its moons will be a highlight of my missions in 0.20.xx

Back in the heady days of 0.18, there was a Bobcat Colonization Challenge (which I revived briefly for 0.19 since I liked it so much). That challenge saw me populating a bit over half the entire solar system with colonies. Of those colonies, the Mun one I made was definitely the most impressive.

new_mun13.jpg

A pity I stopped working on it. It was well on its way to circumnavigating the Mun.

I was sending an additional module to my Munar base, based on a Cupola module and a hitchhiker, with a minimalistic rocket. Fortunately, only 1 Kerbal was on board. The beginning of the trip was fine, but my delta-V calculation were wrong , and I ran out of fuel close to my destination.

5000 m over the Mun surface, 100 m/s, no thrust. After some seconds of panic, I decide to abandon the ship. EVA, ladder release, RCS on.

Then I ignite a long, constant burn up to reduce my vertical velocity, only interrupted by some lateral burn to adjust my trajectory. After some tens of seconds of flight, I land with null speed straight in the middle of my base, surrounded by a jubilant crowd of Kerbals acclaiming me (ok that last point could be slightly exaggerated).

That was actually not the most difficult thing I did. But clearly it was the most epic.

Easy - my first Mun landing. Version .15 I believe, maybe .16. I didn't know about quick saves. I got pretty good at TMI burns (before maneuver nodes and patched conics, mind) before I finally managed to land in a survivable fashion :D

My recent manned mission to Moho (including manned landing on the surface) and back. Needed to refuel the ship twice, had to create some of the largest craft I've created in the game so far. Not being able to aerocapture or aerobrake means spending a lot of fuel just slowing down. Its inclination and tight orbit don't help.

Docking 2 ships together was certainly one of the hardest things for me in the beginning. The first successful one I jumped out of my chair in excitement !

I enjoyed landing on the moon but the docking overshadowed it a little. I was much more thrilled with Duna landing since it was the first ship I built from the ground up on my own and got it to another planet. I went a little crazy with the F1 button on that mission.

Putting a lander on Jool.

... How the hell do you put a lander on Jool...

1) You do realize it has no solid ground, because it's a gas giant.

2) You would be getting crushed by atmospheric pressure.

3) When you try to land on Jool, you just go through the "ground" and start falling past sea level. Then your ship blows up and sometimes the game freezes.

Edited by AustralianFries

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.