What was your greatest achievement in KSP?

SiliconPyro

... How the hell do you put a lander on Jool...

1) You do realize it has no solid ground, because it's a gas giant.

2) You would be getting crushed by atmospheric pressure.

3) When you try to land on Jool, you just go through the "ground" and start falling past sea level. Then your ship blows up and sometimes the game freezes.

I don't know how either, but I did. It wasn't intentional; it's my first mission to Jool, I aerobraked a bit too effectively, so when I figure out it's doomed I thought "well, why the hell not, let's see what happens", so I fired up the lander engines and deployed the legs. When it actually touched down, I was more surprised than anything. Images here, here and here. I can get there from the tracking station no problem. This was done in .20.2.

Greatest achievement? A few days ago I decided to rescue the two kerbonauts from my Simulation Campaign that were stranded on The Mün. Both landed with overweight/underfueled early-prototype test landers, and one of them had been stuck there since... the early days of 0.19?

The catch: I decided not to send a rescue lander. Instead they would each use the remaining fuel/monopropellant in their landers to gain as much ÃŽâ€v as possible, AND THEN JUMP, using their suit's RCS packs to achieve orbit. Once in orbit the command module would match to the EVA'd kerb and pick them up.

I call it Operation Skyhook.

Worked like a charm for the first kerb (Ronton). Second little green dude is still waiting for a ride back, as the crew from Ronton's mission abandoned him and returned to Kerbin years ago. (And I figured since Ronton had been there for so long he should be the first to return.)

Doing that was way cooler than most everything else I've done in the game.

Sounds like you saved your mission. I think saving your mission when you think its lost is best achievement anyone can do. Maybe that's why Apollo 13 was NASA's "finest moment."

Could be...

In that vein, my first ever manned Mun mission ran out of fuel after returning to Kerbin, but still in orbit. Bill and Bob promptly freaked, of course, but Jeb confidently reminded his fellow kerbonauts that they still had an almost-full tank of monopropellant for the RCS ... just enough to get them down into the upper atmosphere, and from there it was a nice easy ride to splashdown.

More recently, I've put together a space station and driven a rover about halfway from the Mun's equator to the north pole.

My greatest achievement would probably be designing a stock mini replica of the Soviet moon rocket N1-L3 that actually works and is capable of Mun landing and return...

That's a very nice looking N1. Have some rep.

I was probably most satisfied with my first deep space rendezvous and docking. I was amazed that it could be done. Now, of course, I've done it so many times that it loses its amazingness.

I was very happy when I managed to find and rendezvous with Magic Boulder, since not a lot of people do that (and now that Magic Boulder is apparently MIA in the current versions of KSP, others are missing the fun of trying).

But I suppose circumnavigating all the way around Duna with a rover is the accomplishment I've done that fewer others have managed. But that was just a lot of grunt work.

Entering Jool SOI burning 50m/s delta V and getting aero breaking in Laythe's atmosphere putting me into a polar orbit around Jool, burning prograde at Jool Peri and getting Tylo Encounter(my Target), Having the lander run out of fuel right as I land at a kethane deposit. Used all the kethane to get only 3/5th the expected fuel, in a 40x120km orbit, used the rcs to just barely get the lander to the main drive. I can now send a rescue refuel mission.

How was it rendezvousing in Kerbol orbit? I haven't tried it but I imagine it would be a pain, depending on your orbit.

It was the single most difficult thing I have done in the game. If the same scenario happened again, I might actually deem the crew lost.

The thing that makes it hard is that you suffer from phantom forces and computation errors due to being so far from the reference body. For example, I did a time warp at one point and the ship moved 2km. Also, the closest rendezvous I got with maneuver nodes was over 100km. I then switched to target mode to get closer. Because of the phantom forces, I wasted all my RCS fuel trying to dock, and had to use engines in the end.

If I were to do it again, I'd send a ship capable of returning and just EVA over, instead of a refueling ship.

I love seeing the challenges people have made for themselves, no matter how simple they may seem to others.

Docking last night I recalled again how difficult my first was, but this time it was almost routing. Now my traveler is ready to embark on a journey to Moho.

PNgTtDLh.png

PNgTtDLh.png

My first Duna return trip:

It consisted of a Main orange tank + NERVA + 2 manned capsule, and a basic empty one man lander. So I entered Duna orbit transferred a kerbal into the lander and dropped it on Duna. Suddenly I noticed another body orbiting Duna. It was from a previous Duna mission that had run out of fuel with a single lone kerbal on board.

It was planned that I would land on Duna, then go into orbit, rendez-vous with the main ship (no docking needed), transfer the kerbal from the lander and head back to kerbin without the lander. But now I had a new passenger that I had to rescue, so I did the rendez-vous with the stranded old ship, transferred a last bit of fuel it had and the lone kerbal. Then I did a rendez-vous with the lander. Docked and headed back to Kerbin with the first Kerbal that stepped on Duna having to do the whole trip on the single manned lander capsule.

That really made me happy! Unfortunately I screwed the whole thing on Kerbin reentry... Oh well...

Jumping out of the spaceship to deorbit towards Minmus as an EVA, and jumping back up to get back in the ship was pretty fun. I ran out of fuel at the very last second, but had mechjeb on the ship so I could at least control the ship to get closer (although I didn't bring any RCS with me :( )

My first successful SSTO mission was pretty amazing too. Got up into orbit, rendezvoused with my space station, realized I forgot to put mechjeb on it, successfully docked regardless (was super lucky on RCS placement -- it was completely untested), rotated the crew, deorbited and landed on the runway (overshot the KSC by a pretty far margin, but its a plane! :D and I had plenty of fuel to fly back).

I'm still chuffed that I finally managed to get my head round the manoeuvres required to make a rendezvous and dock. Despite watching all the tutorials I could find, I struggled to understand the concept behind it all, and my own attempts suffered as a result. My most recent rendezvous and dock was a refuelling ship to a command module in Duna orbit that was marginal on fuel to get back to Kerbin.

The landing I just did, without activating RCS:

M068DkS.jpg?1

Had to quick load once because I realized far too late that it doesn't automatically swap from orbit to surface at that height, but that was it.

My other greatest achievements are probably the missions I did before I knew about quick save/load. To the moon and back and to duna.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.