And a second question

Conarr

Has anyone else experienced symmetry issues in the VAB? I use 4x symmetry and it tries to put the struts in a vertical circle on the front of the tank instead of around the tank's horizontal circumference. It almost seems like it's SPH style symmetry in a way. I'm mostly wondering if anyone else has seen a mod or something that may cause this type issue

okay. most times I can just exit out of the VAB, or in the worst case bounce the game, and it clears up. I was wondering if it was prevelent and if anyone knew what mod may cause it - if not endemic to the game itself.

In .20.2, I've been having some fairly obnoxious symmetry issues that I had not run into previously. Specifically, if you add parts symmetrically onto parts that have been added symmetrically, then take the root part off and try to re-add them, the symmetry mode becomes unchangeable and parts that were added after the first symmetry action are duplicated or triplicated, or more.

The bug I have all the time in the latest version is where you have parts with two different types of symmetry (I guess), then drag a new part across one of those on the way to the other. Instead of attaching the way I expect, it will slip into the "wrong" kind of symmetry, where it puts all instances of the new part on the same part, rather than spreading them to all the sibling parts of the one I'm trying to add to.

I can get around this by turning off symmetry, dragging the part where I want it, and only then turning symmetry back on when I've already got the new part touching the part I want to connect it to.

I get this especially, but not only, when trying to build rovers, where I'll typically have a 4 or 6-way lander on top, and the rover with 2-way structural plates underneath it. If I touch one of the lander engine pods on my way to the rover plates, then the part will be mirrored several times on that one plate rather than attaching one to the back plate and one to the front plate like I'd expect.

I don't know if I've made that very clear. The takeaway though is: turn symmetry off. Don't turn it back on until you have the single part where you want it. Now turn it on and it'll do what you expect.

No, I get you. I've seen what you're talking about as well, I just move passed the part causing the symmetry to change and then manually adjust the symmetry back to what I want just before I place the new part on. The only fix I've found for the SPH-like symmetry in the VAB is to exit the VAB.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.