Favorite star

Yes, I know there is one for moons, but I feel we're neglecting the stars!

So go ahead, tell me. And post a picture if you can.

Mine is Vega, mostly because it is so bright, plus there are lots of other fun things around it, like nebulae and binary stars and galaxies.

Oh almost forgot, here's Vega:

5GUxAJ0.jpg

PS: You can say Sol if it is for a good reason

PPS: By star, I mean anything that we can see in the sky except for the planets.

Two - Alpha and Beta Centauri. Interesting star systems in their own rights, but I've always known this pair as the Pointers. They're very easy to spot, and can be used to find the fainter southern cross. Projecting a perpindicular line through the midpoint of the pointers is also one way to help find south.

Oooh... now this is a good question. I've studied astronomy for years, and will be majoring it in college, but if I had to choose one (and I don't recall it's designation), it's a pulsar who's beam intersects the orbits of it's planets, effectively killing any life that was, is, and would/could be on it.

I like Zubenelgenubi (Alpha Librae), just because it's fun to say.

Zubenelgenubi!

Yeah, my neighbor Jerry is an astronomer, he thinks that too. :rolleyes:

Betelgeuse - its above the left star in Orions belt, and it could blow up any time, which I'm betting would look pretty f**king cool from where we are :)

Here's the wiki page for it if you want some more info - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betelgeuse

G.

Yeah, I've heard about that, when it goes supernova it'll be an awesome light show!

And even now that red glow of it's is pretty spectacular.

Oooh... now this is a good question. I've studied astronomy for years, and will be majoring it in college, but if I had to choose one (and I don't recall it's designation), it's a pulsar who's beam intersects the orbits of it's planets, effectively killing any life that was, is, and would/could be on it.

That sound pretty badass...

It's PSR B1257+12. I'd probably say it as well, especially considering it's got a planetary system that somehow survived the supernova.

betelgeuse as It`s overdue to go nova along the scale of 18th century china or gleise581 due to all the planets.

For all we know, it could have blown up already since we won't know about it until 650ish years after the fact.

Edit: My favorite star would have to be Arcturus only because I like the way it sounds.

Edited by SuperFastJellyfish

While I wouldn't call it my favourite star, Gliese 710 is an interesting one. The best current estimates give it an over 80% chance of passing through our Sun's Oort cloud in 1.3 million years.

It is only about 60% of the Sun's mass so presumably it's own Oort cloud wouldn't extend as far as out our Sun's, but I've often wondered if any of its own cloud of debris will pass through our inner solar system?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.