[WIP] Star Trek pack

crasher925

Hi! as i said in my title i'm making a StarTrek pack. both mirror universe and regular!

Currently:

Crasher925: lead dev and tester

DarthVader: Chief PA officer,tester

looking for: A coder (i don't do very well and could use the help)

I found with help from DarthVader some models that I plan to convert to KSP. Ultimately for a project I'm planning :sealed:

heres a teaser:

here's some pics of what I hope to make:

NX-01:

NX_01_Mirror_Enterprise_by_MclatchyT.jpg

2544989542_ISS_Enterprise_NX_01_answer_9_xlarge.jp  eg

and Phoenix: WIP

Now I know, I know, real world physics would not allow it blah blah blah I've heard it a thousand times but this guy managed to make it work.

why can't I??

anyway the eta on this is well:

ETA: Unknown

====License====

88x31.png

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/.

permissons:

Frizzank:

the titan was originally part of the Nova Punch pack, so you would also need to ask Tiberion if it was ok with him as well, since I took the fairing s from his pack. But other than that I have no problems with it.

If he says its ok I will see If I can get you a DAE of the models and psd's for the textures if thats ok with you.

Tiberion:

Sure, those files are licenses under the Creative commons license which you can find linked from the Novapunch forum thread, so as long as the authorship info from the config file remains intact (you can add names to indicate edits of course) then its fine.

frizzank updated those parts with new textures, so he should have all the source files you need. I don't have the post-update source files in a handy place, though if he doesn't have them I can dig out the older versions for you.

PS heres a thread with some ship already completed :wink:http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/37908-0-21-1-SciFi-Shipyard-New-Releases%21

Edited by crasher925

Dis gunna be gud...

BTW, have you gotten permission from the authors of the meshes to use them, kinda important If you don't want to get sued.

you found all the meshes you are using, I only found you the websites to look.

Edited by DarthVader

I have a hi-res version of the NX-01. If I can get the decimator plugin, I may be able to help out with it. Here's the mesh in question.

4lvGK0a.jpg

Great! This one's suppost to be a mix. Both the mirror universe and the regular one. But great :)

Dis gunna be gud...

BTW, have you gotten permission from the authors of the meshes to use them, kinda important If you don't want to get sued.

you found all the meshes you are using, I only found you the websites to look.

Errr right.... i better do that, though the download link will be given so doesn't that make it open source???

Edited by crasher925

crasher, I've got a number of serious peeves regarding you ripping models from TrekMeshes.ch:

- As WCOLE360 has stated, simply taking other people's models and redistributing them without their permission constitutes stealing / swiping.

- The meshes on the website are all designed specifically for very high-quality still renders or animations. TV show levels of detail would be far too much for KSP to handle, so it is much better to learn to remake the model from scratch yourself in Blender, where you can balance detail and performance. (For instance, Star Trek Online's ship models have fairly low poly counts, to optimize in-game loading)

Modding requires plenty of time, patience and skill. Don't take the easy way out and cheat.

crasher, I've got a number of serious peeves regarding you ripping models from TrekMeshes.ch:

- As WCOLE360 has stated, simply taking other people's models and redistributing them without their permission constitutes stealing / swiping.

- The meshes on the website are all designed specifically for very high-quality still renders or animations. TV show levels of detail would be far too much for KSP to handle, so it is much better to learn to remake the model from scratch yourself in Blender, where you can balance detail and performance. (For instance, Star Trek Online's ship models have fairly low poly counts, to optimize in-game loading)

Modding requires plenty of time, patience and skill. Don't take the easy way out and cheat.

Actually, sumghai, that image I posted is of the mesh that I built in Lightwave. The plugin I'm looking for essentially looks for unnecessary polygons/triangles and reduces the poly count of the entire mesh. If I can find that plugin, and if it still works with Lightwave 11.5, then I can offer up my mesh to this mod pack.

Plus, as a long-time modeler, don't model the NX-01 as your first object. It's a deceivingly complex model.

Actually, sumghai, that image I posted is of the mesh that I built in Lightwave. The plugin I'm looking for essentially looks for unnecessary polygons/triangles and reduces the poly count of the entire mesh. If I can find that plugin, and if it still works with Lightwave 11.5, then I can offer up my mesh to this mod pack.

My experience with optimization plugins has been mixed.

As someone with an engineering background, I was more familiar with parametric modelling in SolidWorks and Pro/Engineer, so I made my first models there and imported them into Blender. Unfortunately, even with native or plugin optimization scripts the final meshes were still very difficult to work with / UV map.

Ultimately I sat down one day and watched a 30 minute Blender tutorial, and Googled other tips and tricks after that. It didn't take me too long to learn Blender enough to make decent models for KSP (as evidenced by my FusTek Station Parts Expansion).

crasher needs to learn to do things from the ground up, like modelling basic geometry, extrusions, rotations, scaling, mesh dissolving, etc. He can't learn anything if he just grabs other people's models and run them through a magic black box.

Plus, as a long-time modeler, don't model the NX-01 as your first object. It's a deceivingly complex model.

Doug Drexler himself would probably agree with you.

Until they have magnetic boots and let me walk around the bridge or generate their own gravity, I'll give them a miss.

I was going to model many of the ships some while back, but as you can see from the one on the spaceport, you need to do something pretty special to get these flying in KSP and actually enjoy it.

Until they have magnetic boots and let me walk around the bridge or generate their own gravity, I'll give them a miss.

You need magical spinny ring "thingys" as kerbals call them, that generate "gravity", obviously.

You need magical spinny ring "thingys" as kerbals call them, that generate "gravity", obviously.

They don't work very well.. tried so many ways to get kerbals to stick to things Ive lost count now..

Anyway thats why we are focusing on that for our first plugin. If Sirkut and I can achieve a kerbal walking around on a platform in space, then i'll make a complete enterprise bridge from scratch.

As for the OP, please if you are going to use ripped meshes, try and keep the poly count down. Many of those Trek meshes are super large in size and will not play very well.

Devo, KAS boots? Essentially shrinking down the grappling hook and making it able to grab and ungrab automatically by walking. It'd take a lot of extra coding but quite possible, if you have the will to take the time.

They don't work very well.. tried so many ways to get kerbals to stick to things Ive lost count now..

Anyway thats why we are focusing on that for our first plugin. If Sirkut and I can achieve a kerbal walking around on a platform in space, then i'll make a complete enterprise bridge from scratch.

As for the OP, please if you are going to use ripped meshes, try and keep the poly count down. Many of those Trek meshes are super large in size and will not play very well.

I actually just created the original series IVA Enterprise bridge. If you guy want to use it for your pack, you're more than welcome to use it. I'd just ask for modeling/texturing credit.

I actually just created the original series IVA Enterprise bridge. If you guy want to use it for your pack, you're more than welcome to use it. I'd just ask for modeling/texturing credit.

I believe that crasher is attempting to get the NX-01 into KSP, which wouldn't use the TOS NCC-1701 bridge.

I will ask for permisson. someone please explain to me how I'm suppost to learn without looking at pramane made moddels to study and learn. And boogaman any help would be greatly appreiceated. I'll give you credit. Unfourtunately at this moment i am unable to use my comp due to a power outage (I'm using my kindle)

I will ask for permisson. someone please explain to me how I'm suppost to learn without looking at pramane made moddels to study and learn.

You're supposed to look for the blueprints on the internet yourself and model accordingly from scratch.

People here will help you understand the finer nuances of KSP, but making 3D models is something you need to learn yourself.

Edited by sumghai

The best thing to do is to look at online tutorials. There are loads of videos on youtube but don't rely on that resource alone. A google search for Blender tutorials will unveil a wealth of sites with tips and tutorials.

Once you determine what you want to build remember this: reference, reference, reference. Reference is everything when you're building a specific object. They're are plenty of orthographic views (Top, Bottom, Front, Back, Left, and Right) of various trek ships out there.

The folks over at www.scifi-meshes.com are great and give very good feedback. I highly recommend creating an account there and posting progress pictures. That being said, I'll be glad to give tips if you have any questions along the way or suggestions on how to model specific areas.

Best of luck! :D

Errr right.... i better do that, though the download link will be given so doesn't that make it open source???

Um, no. Just making a file available online does not make it "open source". That file you downloaded will have a license either in the download or where you got it from explaining what you can and cannot do with their work. It's very important that you respect the authors work and licensing. And if no license is available the default is not free to use.

Cheers!

Capt'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager

Also you need to consider that KSP is not made with ships like this in mind. Its very VERY hard to get a non-symmetrical ship to fly right, even in space.

I have had issues with multi-probe vehicles in the past. And the probes were a mere 2.6tons each, 6 of em arranged around a orange tank. The first one I deployed ruined the whole mission, because the ship wouldn't handle at all. If a 2.6tone weight difference off-sets a rocket that much, then you can see the problem with the Federation ships.

Devo, KAS boots? Essentially shrinking down the grappling hook and making it able to grab and ungrab automatically by walking. It'd take a lot of extra coding but quite possible, if you have the will to take the time.

Dont want grappling hooks, so I dont use KAS.

They dont use grappling hooks in star trek do they? :sticktongue:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.