Duna Base (Stock)

Mubzat

This is my Duna Base which I have been building over the past couple of weeks. The base is located in the center of one of the craters directly on the equator. It is 100% stock parts apart from mechjeb which I only used for landings as it became too tedious and time consuming to attempt to manually land everything in the correct positions :D. Not sure what else I can add to it so suggestions are welcome :)

2z5j252.jpg

So far there is a command unit, 4 habitation units, a solar array unit, a communications tower and a launchpad with a small transport ship. There is also around 30 kerbals :D

auti0w.jpg

This is the Duna station in an equatorial orbit around the planet.

9uazjd.jpg

Finally, this is the communications network around Duna. One satellite is in synchronous orbit directly above the base. There are 3 satellites in semi-synchronous orbit in a triangle pattern which link the station to the base (If communication networks were actually possible :P).

Let me know what you think

The ammount of hitchiker modules on you station seems excessive.

Well there are around 30 Kerbals on the surface, and all the base structures (apart from the small ship) cannot leave the surface again once they have landed. The station is designed to carry all of those kerbals back to kerbin if I wanted to return them.

How about a refuelling station with liquid fuel and LOX, with a smaller tanker on wheels ferrying the stuff around? A skycrane perhaps, with its own landing cradle, which would be refuelled by the tanker? A large orbital fuel depot with its own tanker ship for resupplying the fuel station on the ground? A rover hangar, with a variety of rovers in it? A taller lookout tower with command seats and cupola pods, for an overview of the base? An aircraft hangar with a lightweight plane for low-altitude flights? Just tossing some ideas out there.

If you want to install some mods, you could also add a kethane miner (or, if there's no deposit underneath your base, mobile mining rovers) and refinery, and RemoteTech actually does enable satellite communications. ISA MapSat could also be nice to have orbiting the planet.

The refuelling station and tanker is a good idea, also the rover hangar as at the moment there are no ground vehicles on the base for kerbals to explore with. I made this base on my stock save so I am not going to be using any mods for now but thanks for the suggestions!

• 4 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.