Dock starts spinning after docking, breaks on warp.

You don't have the proper RCS control surfaces or control modules with enough torque to make everything stop spinning. As for breakage on warp, no idea.

Yes I do. Trust me. I can control it just fine without any RCS at all before docking with it.

It looks like that might be a manifestation of the sourceless torque that sometimes results from having docking rings connected to cubic struts. Try replacing those with a non-strut part, such as perhaps a structural fuselage.

It would be enough to place anything between the struts and the docking ring, yes?
I'm not sure, but I believe the fact that the cubic struts are between the docking ring and the control piece causes the problem, whether or not other parts are also between the strut and the ring.

Also, be sure that are both the same! I mean, Rover/Lander etc.. You can change it by right clicking and rename Vessel! Because if you dock an Rover and a Lander it gets very confused. Had the same problem with my Mun Station, renamed the Vessel to the same and all works fine ;D

Now that sounds like a very interesting bug.

When did it break? After you burned or only after you time-warped?

I cannot see any SAS systems on your station?

Stages/parts tend to break on weak constructs during lift off - warping stops all rotation? Maybe its inertia? The small strut being unable to withstand the forces by the relative high mass of your little spacehopper?

Edit: Regnium's sounds even weirder - seems to be true, coding is more witchcraft then science. :sticktongue:

Get rid of those little cubic struts under the docking ports. Docking ports are radially attachable by default so using the struts for that is wasteful and extremely gritchy.

You need the extra space provided by the strut? I can see that as a problem but that strut is the wrong answer. It's been the cause of 25% of the "how to" threads in the last few weeks.

Unfortunately there aren't any other stock parts I can think of to do the job you want done in that configuration :( not without adding a fair amount of mass. You could try the 1x1 steel plate mounted on its edge with the jr port mounted on the opposite edge.

Alternatively if you launched this with the satellites already attached you can couple the ion engine onto the flush mounted docking port in the VAB. It can still decouple like it would if there were 2 ports but can't reconnect again

Get rid of those little cubic struts under the docking ports. Docking ports are radially attachable by default so using the struts for that is wasteful and extremely gritchy.

You need the extra space provided by the strut? I can see that as a problem but that strut is the wrong answer. It's been the cause of 25% of the "how to" threads in the last few weeks.

Unfortunately there aren't any other stock parts I can think of to do the job you want done in that configuration :( not without adding a fair amount of mass. You could try the 1x1 steel plate mounted on its edge with the jr port mounted on the opposite edge.

Alternatively if you launched this with the satellites already attached you can couple the ion engine onto the flush mounted docking port in the VAB. It can still decouple like it would if there were 2 ports but can't reconnect again

Yeah I need the extra space. Without the strut there, the vessel will spontaneously explode on docking. I already lost one kerbal to that. And I do launch with it appended to the end with the ion engine, but it kinda defeats the purpose of the dock module if I can't dock with it. This is meant to be a module for my space station, and it has to fit in this sort of space. I'm not worried so much about weight, but definitely the size of the larger struts etc is too big, and I need to keep part count minimal.

If you really need the extra space that the strut gives you, try fitting something else like an oscar-b fuel tank on a radial attachment point, it'll give you that little bit of extra room without any physics weirdness :)

If you really need the extra space that the strut gives you, try fitting something else like an oscar-b fuel tank on a radial attachment point, it'll give you that little bit of extra room without any physics weirdness :)

radial attachment points are huge It's really a shame there isn't a good way to just up and attach some things radially.

This is all assuming you want to stay stock. There are mod solutions for this problem.

As I mentioned another alternative is to reconfigure your satellites so the rtg isn't in the way when you try to dock, eliminating the need for the extra spacer.

Uncontrolable spinning usually happens when 2 objects (different ships) intersect and are locked or push eachother by some part under tension (with damned robotics hinges for eg.). In this case it looks like this doesn't happen so.. I don't know..

I've experienced this bug in the past, and on at least one occation, I assembled the exact same ship with the part clipping option turned off (where possible) and eliminated the problem. even if the parts appear to be connected in the exact same way, assembling them with part clipping turned on can sometimes cause phantom forces and failures to disconnect. I'd especially avoid it with docking rings and decouplers.

I just had a similar problem with these little cubic b******s. use them to mount my KAS winches radially, and after I had refueled from my kethane refinery on Vall and disconnected the plug the cubic strut disconnected itself from the side of my ship. Winch and all. No forces on it. Both ships were landed 2 meters apart. It just decided it would rather occupy the space below the ships on the ground. From now on no more using those little pos's

Yes I admit to using them for radial attachment points too due to their size and mass. Tho I know of their glitchyness, this random disconnecting one seems to be new with .20*

You tried using the rockomax hubmax multi-point connector for your docking ring? That's pretty much what it's designed for...

Too large, the nuclear battery impacts the connector and causes the ship to explode.

I've experienced this bug in the past, and on at least one occation, I assembled the exact same ship with the part clipping option turned off (where possible) and eliminated the problem. even if the parts appear to be connected in the exact same way, assembling them with part clipping turned on can sometimes cause phantom forces and failures to disconnect. I'd especially avoid it with docking rings and decouplers.

Yeah I did have clipping turned off for this part, as I've noticed glitchiness with that too. I eventually gave up after rebuilding it a couple times and having the same issue, and just redesigned it to mount the docking ports flush at the end of the truss with open space on the end. works for now.

Now it has me too ... the wobblediwobble station dance ...

tJWakf2.jpg?1

I hope anyone has an idea whats wrong in this design? :(

Removed the SAS at the 200 I-Beams that are holding the solar panels and placed an NCS adapter on the battery to then connect the 200 I-Beams - still after switching back to KSC and then back up to the station it starts wobbling and spinning ...

You should time warp after you dock, it stops all the wobbling, other than that i'm getting some wobble on my station. It's also waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay bigger than yours.

You should try to save the craft file and then reinstalling Ksp if no other thing works.

Now it has me too ... the wobblediwobble station dance ...

tJWakf2.jpg?1

I hope anyone has an idea whats wrong in this design? :(

Try removing your large probecore and putting a different one somewhere else on the station. I had a few things spin on their own, I diagnosed it by comparing what items were on them, the only thing appearing on all designs was the large probecore. Scrapped everything with it and haven't had any issues since.

This first part of the station was shot into orbit as it is here. (Habitat and two over-thrusted escape pods)

After I decouple the final stage of the lifter everything seems fine. I then unfold the solar panels and orient the station so they are facing the sun most optimally.

I am not quite sure, but I think the wobble only sets in when I do something elsewhere and then return to the station. But then it stays wobbly.

Time warp stops it for as long as time warp warps time.

My first thought were the two SAS modules at the beams that hold the solar panels - I removed them and shot it up again: wobble.

Also the only docking ports are the three facing outwards, everything is connecting by decouplers or Rockomax brand adapters.

What I did not yet have the nerve to try:

0. Switch out probe core.

-> No effect, station started wobbling again - but reinstalled SAS system to cross check.

1. Do not have ASAS on the last stage of the lifter - built, not launched yet

-> Same test as in 0 - no effect for that matter.

2. Orient the command (escape :P ) pods in the same direction and align the probe module (computer core :P ) with the pods - does torque have a "direction"?

3. Replace the beams with something else

4. Place the solar panels not directly opposite each other

Will try all changes at once and backtrack - if it works.

Edited by KerbMav
Thank you, Johnno, will try this in 5h!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.