Can't Undock Bug, How To Fix

• 2 weeks later...

I've got what I think is the same problem, but I'm not sure. I managed to fix it by using hyperedit.

I decoupled the ports, and ended up with two ships (I can switch between them), but they won't separate under thrust.

Anyway, my fix was to launch hyperedit's orbit editor in complex mode, add a digit to the periapsis (multiplying by ten), activate the orbit change, then remove the zero and activate it again. This left me decoupled and a few meters away from the original ship.

Making small orbit changes instead of big changes (probably has to do with staying within the physics bubble) caused the ship to get torn apart by the kraken.

So maybe try that before hacking your save file, if you are nervous.

• 6 months later...

I had this problem back in 0.22 with my Jool expedition (a huge mess of docking ports and some other parts (32 science modules, each with 2 docking ports, docked to beams docked to the core, with a docked engine module...)). Anyway, rather than throwing up my hands in despair, I came up with portjimmy. It's a python script that parses an sfs file looking for docking ports that have gotten their ids mangled due to the parent-child relationship of the ports changing.

I just tested now and it seems to work:

python3 portjimmy.py brokenports.sfs

It will print the ids of the mangled ports, as well as the name and type of the vessel for verification purposes. It is still up to you to actually fix the ids, but once you know the ids, you can go directly to the relevant parts by searching for the ids.

The script works with either python 2 or python 3, and is available from my github repository (yeah a few other tools in there too).

The biggest reason it doesn't do the fixing for you is when I wrote it, cfgnode.py didn't write cfg files.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎20‎.‎04‎.‎2016 at 4:22 PM, _Krieger_ said:

I had that happen to me in 1.1 both with stock and modded ports.

Would you please try to fix your docking problem with my KML - Persistence file editor tool and report my or send me your currupted 1.1 savegame? I hadn't the chance to switch to 1.1 yet, and it would take a while to encounter such a problem.

1 hour ago, Mythos said:

Would you please try to fix your docking problem with my KML - Persistence file editor tool and report my or send me your currupted 1.1 savegame? I hadn't the chance to switch to 1.1 yet, and it would take a while to encounter such a problem.

I fixed it by editing the save file manually, but I'll definitely try out tour tool, thank you!

Cheers.

On 23.04.2016 at 10:55 PM, Mythos said:

I have encountered this bug in stock 1.1 and succesfully fixed it with KML - Persistence file editor! Thank you very much!

40 minutes ago, barsandcat said:

I have encountered this bug in stock 1.1 and succesfully fixed it with KML

Thanks for your feedback! This annoying bug was the reason to start programming KML. It's a pity it still exists in 1.1

• 1 month later...

I have the same issue - I'm a newby to KSP so I really don't know how to edit the save game manually - I tried the KML tool and it detects the problem:

VESSEL (ScienceLabStarter, Ship, ORBITING) -> PART[23](dockingPort3): Docked (same vessel):
Dock part docked to other dock part, but docking not responded from other side. Other dock: PART[21](dockingPort3): Docked(docker): MoonLander

but If I right click and say "Repair docking" I get a blank message and after saving the problem still exists...
I'm on stock KSP (Kerbal Space Program - 1.1.2.1260 (WindowsPlayer), build id = 01260 2016.04.30 at 11:49:48 CEST Branch: master).

Anybody can fix my save!? Download here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1jOjppssaQFZ3NydXFiUlh1T00

3 hours ago, schneida said:

Anybody can fix my save!?

Oh you have encountered a problem with same-vessel-docking in real game. I only knew about this theoretically but never saw in game. I have downloaded your save and can reproduce your bug report (empty message) about my KML tool. This I will fix soon.

About you problem in general: It looks like you have two different dock parts connected to the same third dock part. So its a triple thing, where I would expect couples only. I had a look in game and comparing with data from KML:

1. There are two docking ports clipping right above each other on the side without the lab. If you undock, the other is in docking range and will disturb the undocking. There is a short time where the docking state is something between docked and undocked and problems often happen then.
  2. This should not be a problem, but it looks strange and may be the reason for having two parts in same place: The dock parts are connected to the probe core not via node but via surface attachment although it looks like it's in the right place for a node attachment. If you build something like this again, try pressing the ALT key while placing the part in the VAB so you force node attachment (the green bubbles).

The duplicate part needs to be deleted and this means the part indices need to be reordered. That's quite a task and KML is not able to do this (yet). I also not recommend to do it in a text editor. Maybe there is a in game tool to delete parts?

What I did for you: Removed all docking functionality from the duplicate part. Moved the part some distance away. Now it looks ugly, but you can see it's there and understand the problem. It needed to be moved to be able to click on the other one that was hidden.

Try this version:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwsNCuH8Jk3-c2drTEc4cE51M3c/view

Edited by Mythos

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/23/2016 at 2:55 PM, Mythos said:

OMG thank you so much! I have been trying to understand the instructions in this thread but I just wasn't able to follow it. You have saved my Vall expedition good sir!

2 hours ago, Starslinger999 said:

Im having this bug and im in 1.1.3. I really want something that will help fix it without me going into Persistance file and editing it. Any suggestions?

Do you mean strictly not solving via touching the persistance file? No idea for that one.

Or do you mean not to do such kind of text based changes where you absolutely have to know what you are doing? If you are willing to change the persistence file but with an easy GUI pointing you to the problem and solving via right click menu, you may try my KML - Persistence file editor tool mentioned in some previous posts :)

On 4/23/2016 at 0:55 PM, Mythos said:

Love your mod sir. It saved my Moho mission yesterday when I had a docked tanker and capsule get this bug.

Hi guys, I have this problem in the latest version. I don't know what to do as it's not the same as in the OP.

MODULE
				{
					name = ModuleDockingNode
					isEnabled = True
					crossfeed = True
					stagingEnabled = True
					state = Docked (dockee)
					dockUId = 3365815556
					dockNodeIdx = 0

DOCKEDVESSEL
					{
						vesselName = Kerteria 5
						vesselType = 6
						rootUId = 1669695051
					}
MODULE
				{
					name = ModuleDockingNode
					isEnabled = True
					crossfeed = True
					stagingEnabled = False
					state = Docked (same vessel)
					dockUId = 2051603203
					dockNodeIdx = 0
DOCKEDVESSEL
					{
						vesselName = Kerteria 5 Lander
						vesselType = 5
						rootUId = 3365815556
					}

What's the issue? To confirm, I press undock, nothing happens, the option to undock disappears.

4 hours ago, MathmoRichard said:

state = Docked (same vessel)

This would mean that there is this pair of docking ports and another pair of docking ports connecting the same two vessels? If this is not the case it's this pretty common bug that my KML tool mentioned in the previous post should be able to fix.

2 hours ago, Mythos said:

This would mean that there is this pair of docking ports and another pair of docking ports connecting the same two vessels? If this is not the case it's this pretty common bug that my KML tool mentioned in the previous post should be able to fix.

Erm. There's just two docking ports in the whole connected (rather shouldn't-be-connected) ship - a classic CSM/LM arrangement.

I have solved the issue! At least for me. And you don't have to edit game files! Unfortunatly you will have to always dock manually. (I believe the issue involves mechjeb docking autopilot). Instead of targeting the docking port and letting the computer do it, I have found that manually docking while targeting the command pod of the station (or whatever you're docking with) will allow you to undock at will. This worked for me, so let me know if it works elsewhere!

On 6/25/2016 at 3:44 PM, Mythos said:

Do you mean strictly not solving via touching the persistance file? No idea for that one.

Or do you mean not to do such kind of text based changes where you absolutely have to know what you are doing? If you are willing to change the persistence file but with an easy GUI pointing you to the problem and solving via right click menu, you may try my KML - Persistence file editor tool mentioned in some previous posts :)

Thank you!  I got  my rockets back!

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.