[Showcase] Non Asparagus Launch Vehicles

hmmm, yes, so there is actually a difference: asparagus is a form of crossfeeding, where fuel lines run in multiple directions, while simple crossfeeding has fuel lines running in only one direction.

still, crossfeeding IS that which allows high payload fractions in KSP, which would otherwise be unreachable in reality.

Hmm people say better drag model would be the end of asparagus staging but I'm not so convinced:

Angara%20A7.JPG

Here we have Angara-7, a heavy lift member of the new Angara rocket family that Russia is working on. Angara rocket family is based around a common Universal Rocket Module design where different numbers of URMs are combined into one package to produce different sized lifters. The current planned versions have 1, 3, 5 and 7 URMs. Angara-7 as the name suggest has a seven URM bundle first stage in the classical KSP asparagus layout - only without fuel cross feed. But still, the fact that thousands of engineers and rocket scientists are working hard on this suggest that this kind of form factor is not a issue with realistic drag model.

Hmm people say better drag model would be the end of asparagus staging but I'm not so convinced:

-snip-

Here we have Angara-7, a heavy lift member of the new Angara rocket family that Russia is working on. Angara rocket family is based around a common Universal Rocket Module design where different numbers of URMs are combined into one package to produce different sized lifters. The current planned versions have 1, 3, 5 and 7 URMs. Angara-7 as the name suggest has a seven URM bundle first stage in the classical KSP asparagus layout - only without fuel cross feed. But still, the fact that thousands of engineers and rocket scientists are working hard on this suggest that this kind of form factor is not a issue with realistic drag model.

I love that rocket! I made my own in KSP but it was a little unstable. As for the use in KSP I think the major thing against it was posted a few posts back.

I love that rocket! I made my own in KSP but it was a little unstable. As for the use in KSP I think the major thing against it was posted a few posts back.

And now I'm tempted to put back NovaPunch and KW Rocketry then recreate this thing once more :D

As for the design concerns, I've based it here.

This is what I've been making to launch mediumish things. I enjoyed making neat patterns with the struts, but it needed another frame based on small hardpoints in order to stop the grey tank stage from breaking of the one below it.

vzClob8.png

I finally used the Skipper as a middle stage engine, though the way things went, I may end up changing that for a Poodle.

You can reduce the amount of struts needed by cross-bracing between tanks.

|[COLOR="#ff0000"]\ /[/COLOR]| -- orange tank
|[COLOR="#ff0000"] \ / [/COLOR]|
---[COLOR="#ff0000"]X[/COLOR]--- red = crossed struts between tanks
|[COLOR="#ff0000"] / \ [/COLOR]|
|[COLOR="#ff0000"]/ \[/COLOR]| -- silver tank

you can also replace the silver tank with an engine and it works great for those super heavy payloads if you don't like using launch clamps. My rocket with similar sized boosters only needs 4 struts per stack (the other two are at the top left and right sides under the nosecone attached to the main stack). By pure coincidence, it looks almost exactly like the Angara-7, which I have never heard about until today.

It uses fuel crossflow, but not in any convoluted manner (The struts on the nosecones are only for supporting the 200t payload):

ema6kkr.jpg

VaNDF82.jpg

The only time i use asparagus is when i don't have enough ram to install kw without crashing, otherwise i just use the bigass boosters that come with kw. SRB designs are much simpler than liquid boosters, and liquid boosters with straight crossfeed are still simpler than asparagus style liquid boosters. i go for simplicity with my designs, not efficiency, since problems usually occur with the more complex designs.

This is something I've been working on. Think of it like the Saturn V's big brother.

Ei36AWE.png

mRC2EB8.png

I haven't fully tested its payload capacity, but it's pretty substantial.

Edit:

108 tons to orbit. I could probably do better with some design tweaks.

Edited by GusTurbo

This is something I've been working on. Think of it like the Saturn V's big brother.

*snip, images*

I haven't fully tested its payload capacity, but it's pretty substantial.

That... looks like it might be stock. Is that stock? Can you post a craft file? o.o

That... looks like it might be stock. Is that stock? Can you post a craft file? o.o

Totally stock. It's still a rough draft at this point, but I can post the configuration I used to test it.

Wh5WO8e.png

Notes: I drained the central tank to the lower stage to have enough fuel to achieve orbit, and partially drained one of the outer tanks. Still, 108 tons to orbit with no asparagus seems pretty good. The upper stage could use more fuel and a higher TWR. Either more LV-T45s (it currently has 4) or a switch to Skippers.

Craft:

http://www./download/0cz7f92x08b5fo9/Saturn_IX_Test_Payload.craft

Totally stock. It's still a rough draft at this point, but I can post the configuration I used to test it.

-sshhhnnniiipppp-

Notes: I drained the central tank to the lower stage to have enough fuel to achieve orbit, and partially drained one of the outer tanks. Still, 108 tons to orbit with no asparagus seems pretty good. The upper stage could use more fuel and a higher TWR. Either more LV-T45s (it currently has 4) or a switch to Skippers.

Craft:

http://www./download/0cz7f92x08b5fo9/Saturn_IX_Test_Payload.craft

Thats a pretty nifty ship. Also, for an upper stage, I'd go with Skippers.

@Ampsterman I like what I see! I like how the noses of the boosters detach as well. Any reason for this? I looks cool, but any reason why?

I have no idea why it happens actually. But I agree it's pretty cool. I have two issues so far with this rocket though. It doesn't have much delta-v so getting to orbit requires one to be very precise. Also, the main stack blows up half the time. That is kinda anoying :(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.