Need confirmation about torque

Hey,

I would like to have a confirmation that my understanding for the amount of torque for the ship is correct.

More (A)SAS = More dead weight (just need one of them) - preferably close to the CoM

More probe/command = more torque to turn the ship (torque value add per module) and also allow (A)SAS to use that torque to stop the ship from spining? Any preferable position?

If it's the case, I guess we could arrive to a ratio torque/mass to allow the ship to be nicely controlable without rcs?

Answered

Your three points are all correct.

The pods can apply torque to the ship. Gimballing engines can apply torque, and RCS can apply torque. More pods helps the ship rotate without wasting RCS fuel, but only the big ones have any noticeable amount of power. SAS modules can apply torque to the ship, but only to slow it's rotation. Last I checked they cannot contribute any torque to accelerate the rotation of the ship, whether from ASAS input or user input. (they're really useless AFAIK)

Edited by ImpulseSpaceCenter
Answered

Instead of poking holes in the functionality of the code, how about you use one ASAS, one Pod, and build the rest of your ship around that to function realistically, instead of taking advantage of flaws and/or benefits of multiple of items not intentionally expected, to control your ship? Far be it for me to tell you how to play, but how about you don't try to exploit the game just for your personal advantage?

If you go into the part.cfg of a manned (or kerballed?) command module you will find this:

rotPower = 10

linPower = 10

I believe these are the settings that control how well your ship turns. You can edit these settings with notepad or notepad++(which is my favorite by the way) to whatever makes you comfortable. Or, add them to whatever part you want, say a sas or asas part. I have not tried this myself yet, only because I am stubborn headed and want to try to figure out the puzzle of making it work with stock (or popular mods) parts. But, I believe that since it is a sandbox game, you should configure it any way you want so that it is fun for you.:)

Please accept my sincere appologies for disrupting your game experience by trying to have a better understanding of how some parts of the games works.

You see, the way I want to play aint reallistic, see I like the fact that I control green people and not realistic humans, I like the fact that I don't have budget, I don't have a gouvernement blocking me, and I can time warp to get further than what realistic people on realistic earth have been able to do.

Now if you excuse me, let's not play a party together and keep it singleplayer so we can both have our fun the way we wants it.

The pods can apply torque to the ship. Gimballing engines can apply torque, and RCS can apply torque. More pods helps the ship rotate without wasting RCS fuel, but only the big ones have any noticeable amount of power. SAS modules can apply torque to the ship, but only to slow it's rotation. Last I checked they cannot contribute any torque to accelerate the rotation of the ship, whether from ASAS input or user input. (they're really useless AFAIK)

Thans for confirming it.

@ impulsespacecenter: good for you man, yes that is the proper attitude to have. don't let anyone tell you how to play or enjoy your game. as for your question, i have played around with it before myself, i like using the ships torque to adjust my pitch, yaw, and roll, while saving the rcs for translational movements and docking. i had a ship with 2 probe cores each having a rotational value or torque of 0.5, so 1 in total, and the ship was 20 metric tons in weight. i could move it but it was extremely slow, so i had to start moving/aiming my ship 2 minutes before i hit my maneuver node. im guessing a better ratio would be 1 unit of torque for every 10 metric tons of ship, or better than that, though i still have to test it out to make sure, in the end it all depends on how slow is too slow for you. i would recommend checking out the command pod parts list to see how much torque each part gives and how much it weighs to see how it affects your ratio (the cupola pod has 30 torque i believe). also when adding more pods to your ship don't forget to check your thrust to weight ratio because too many pods will add up in weight.

@creator

I am design big spaceships that I want to have huge Dv on them, and to keep my Dv I need to reduce the dead weight as much as I can obviously.

So to choose between using consumable heavy RCS and "renewable" lighter command pod! the choice is all done for me (plus POD add kerbal storage and energy) and I will be able to use the RCS to refuel the utility I am docking on my ship.

I have already done the torque/weight for each command and strangly the OKTO2 is the best while the MK2 cockpit is just behind. Because even if the cupola have 30 torque it does add 4.5t! while 4 MK2 cockpit add a total of 40 torque for just 4t (it does add 4 time more part cout too, but 4x more kerbal storage).

I will have a look for the 1 torque for 10 tons, and I will set my desired number starting from that.

Here I am again, capturing a thread with my own newbie questions! :cool:

So, command pods/probe modules can rotate a ship on all three axis - SAS stops unwanted rotation only and is not needed for steering - A-SAS controls RCS too.

Right?

A-SAS - the big and the small - are only controle modules that do not have SAS functionality?

Why is there no big SAS to fit big rocket designs (better)?

I read elsewhere multiple SAS add there force too?

Is there a prefered position for SASs like for command pods/probe modules as written in this thread?

Here I am again, capturing a thread with my own newbie questions! :cool:

Everyone have asked question when they started that game! it's one way to learn :P

So, command pods/probe modules can rotate a ship on all three axis

True, effect of that is call torque. Different command/probes have different torque value (check the wiki for more details)

SAS stops unwanted rotation only

Exactly, it only stop the roll

A-SAS controls RCS too

ASAS stop the roll, yaw and pitch so you keep pointing the same direction. It will use command torque, thrust vectoring, RCS and control surface for that (I used specific keywords so you can wiki them to know what they are exactly)

Neither SAS or ASAS are require to steer the ship.

A-SAS - the big and the small - are only controle modules that do not have SAS functionality?

Not sure what you mean. SAS and A-SAS are both SAS (Stability Augmentation System, Spin Auto-Stabilizer, Sickness Avoidance Solution) they allow you to avoid unwanted ship "move")

Why is there no big SAS to fit big rocket designs (better)?

I dunno. A part that is not yet develloped or not usefull. on a big ship you probably want ASAS anyway. plus the big ASAS is a lot of weight compared to the small one. I rather radially atach the small one and keep my weight low.

I read elsewhere multiple SAS add there force too?

Not sure, I have not seen a difference on my designs, but then I rarely SAS, mainly only ASAS. It is certaint that having ASAS and SAS on the same ship, only the ASAS will be used.

Is there a prefered position for SASs like for command pods/probe modules as written in this thread?

I don't think command and probe have a better place to at on the ship as I have found for the ASAS.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.