Superstructures - How big can you go?

Greetings! Tried doing a search, but I couldn't find a whole lot of megabuilds or superstructures. I started a project myself, and went to try and find some inspiration. Unfortunately little was to be found. So, I came here! Not sure if this is the right thread or not, but was wondering what everyone has?

Personally I've just started a 'Halo'-esque ring in LKO. Not sure what to add to it, but it's predicted to be quite large. Once I get the framework down, each section has docking ports for additions. Here's what I have so far - size comparison to a single kerbal:

Habitation Module - Where the Kerbals can live during construction.

7e1sDsbl.jpg

Three Segment View

7R4lR6wl.jpg

Top Segment w/ Tug to align all of the modules, and to assemble the ring as parts arrive. Currently is comprised of 4 separate launches

DarWVdjl.jpg

Edited by Ariac
Thumbnails

You are going to have the mother of all lags on the last dockings. I mean, I just finished assembling a 914 part grand tour ship, so I know what I'm talking about. I'll fly it and post it eventually, because it is the thing I am most proud of, in the history of ever. But I haven't touched it to start the trip since I finished because... well, you can imagine. I takes FOREVER to do anything, but I'll do it at least once, and then never again mess with superstructures. And I have a beefy i5 3450 with fast-ish cores.

Rune. Such things fly on pride, really.

Well I went with light sections to see how it reacts so far, but right now the segments are around 26 parts and 10 tons each. But each gets launched with it's own tug, cause I don't have the time nor fuel to go fetch each part with one, haha..

I really hope this works out, it looks great. My fear is you will plug the last bit in and the docking/forces bug might make it do something weird / tear itself apart / spin away at a billion miles an hour... fingers crossed it works! :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.