[1.11.x] RCS Build Aid v1.0.6

m4v

So I'm not the only one who misses the DCoM offset readout...

I also used it for VTOL builds (RCSBA is a godsend in that regard). I read a few of the earlier posts about is and I noticed the one saying that it was just a magnitude reading. Would it be hard to re-enable the read out with vectors? That is, with measurements for both fore/aft and dorsal/ventral offsets? (Port/Starboard seems a little redundant; most players usually have this axis in symmetry/balance, but maybe add that as well to be safe?) 3 numbers with arrows to indicate offset directions? (Hmm... Fore/Aft and Dorsal/Ventral might be hard since both sets would usually use UP/DN arrows...)

It's a small request. I did use that feature often because I liked having hard numbers to back up my building rather than just a visual cue. (And the spheres I usually had fairly small anyway...) If there' no chance of this measurement coming back, *shrug*. While I would love for it to return, RCSBA provides more than enough other info to make it indispensable to begin with, anyway.

Now this jumps on me every time when I move from action groups editing to part editing. That is, it un-minimizes itself every time. Drives me mad. Tired of minimizing it again and again and again.

Can this behaviour be fixed somehow?

Also, its reaction on pressing "shift" is not good when manipulating parts in VAB.

Now this jumps on me every time when I move from action groups editing to part editing. That is, it un-minimizes itself every time. Drives me mad. Tired of minimizing it again and again and again.

Can this behaviour be fixed somehow?

I can't reproduce I'm afraid, when I minimize it (using the little top-right button) the window stays minimized all the time. Maybe the plugin is failing to save that state in its settings.cfg file? check if is writeable or delete it for reset its settings.

Also, its reaction on pressing "shift" is not good when manipulating parts in VAB.

What reaction? The plugin doesn't use shift anywhere.

I was also having this issue last night, but I'll rephrase what cipherpunks said just slightly: I close the RCSBA gui window using the Toolbar button, so the window isn't even on the screen. I switch to action group editing. When I switch back to the parts editor, the RCSBA gui window is open again, and the arrows and CoM markers, etc., are all back on display. At first I thought I was just forgetting to close out the window when I was done, but after about 3 or 4 times of double checking what was going on, I realized that this was something new, and not particularly intended or desirable.

Another issue I noticed: When I clicked the little 'S' button at the top right of the window, in order to check my settings, the settings options wouldn't come up, it just showed a blank little window with one single 'button' on it, that I couldn't check or uncheck. It worked when I first started up the game, but then later I got what I just described. I'm guessing a memory leak of some sort is occurring, and maybe not even with RCSBA. I run a LOT of mods! But, I thought I'd put in my 2 cents, just so you and cipherpunks know that his/her issue wasn't strictly an isolated one-off thing. At least 2 people have had the same issue.

So, fwiw. Later, all! :D

I was also having this issue last night, but I'll rephrase what cipherpunks said just slightly: I close the RCSBA gui window using the Toolbar button, so the window isn't even on the screen. I switch to action group editing. When I switch back to the parts editor, the RCSBA gui window is open again, and the arrows and CoM markers, etc., are all back on display. At first I thought I was just forgetting to close out the window when I was done, but after about 3 or 4 times of double checking what was going on, I realized that this was something new, and not particularly intended or desirable.

Another issue I noticed: When I clicked the little 'S' button at the top right of the window, in order to check my settings, the settings options wouldn't come up, it just showed a blank little window with one single 'button' on it, that I couldn't check or uncheck. It worked when I first started up the game, but then later I got what I just described. I'm guessing a memory leak of some sort is occurring, and maybe not even with RCSBA. I run a LOT of mods! But, I thought I'd put in my 2 cents, just so you and cipherpunks know that his/her issue wasn't strictly an isolated one-off thing. At least 2 people have had the same issue.

So, fwiw. Later, all! :D

I'm having the exact same thing. When I switch to action groups and back, the RCSBA window opens itself for some reason.

I encountered a problem where I couldn't transmit science from an orbital science lab until I removed the RCS build aid. Additional mods I have installed; KER, Kerbal Alarm Clock, Kerbal Aircraft eXpansion, and module manager 2.6.3. (for KAC)

The lab had 495 science, when I pressed the "transmit science" button the antenna would deploy and transmit data to 100% completion but no science would transfer.

I encountered a problem where I couldn't transmit science from an orbital science lab until I removed the RCS build aid. Additional mods I have installed; KER, Kerbal Alarm Clock, Kerbal Aircraft eXpansion, and module manager 2.6.3. (for KAC)

The lab had 495 science, when I pressed the "transmit science" button the antenna would deploy and transmit data to 100% completion but no science would transfer.

Coincidence, RCSBA has no loaded modules while in flight nor it edits your craft in any way.

Coincidence, RCSBA has no loaded modules while in flight nor it edits your craft in any way.

I think you intend for the mod to not effect flight, but I also seem to have encountered some really weird behavior due to uninstalling it.

I installed RBA a while ago, created my Learstar A2 and flew it to space just fine, but due to reverting causing VAB to loss categories and giving me all parts in one big list, I was uninstalling mods to narrow down the issue.

When it came to uninstalling RCS Build Aid, my Learstar A2 tipped over on launch, install it and it flies straight as an arrow.

Might have other situation where flight isn't the same with or without RCS Build Aid installed, but I've not yet started to test those, as I fully thought RCS Build Aid was a VAB only visual add on, so I was not investigating it for flight issues.

BTW: With RCSBA uninstalled it seems the game stopped having the one category issue after returning to VAB.

Whatever directly or due to RCSBA breaking another mod, it is involved in some weird behavior.

Some pods do have built-in RCS.

Which ones? not in stock game. I don't have any in my game so I don't know what is the issue with them. JUST NOW I am realizing that parts with in-built RCS are likely a pain to balance so you will want to disable those, but I'm just guessing, am I right? dunno, I spend more time coding than playing the game.

Perhaps the specific question is "could there be a way to exclude certain ModuleRCS-containing parts from the build aid's calculation of RCS torque"

The problem would be making an UI that doesn't suck, it would be more easy to be able to disable the RCS module from a tweakable.

Or you could just remove the ModuleRCS from the part.cfg and screw people that think they know where to place RCS ports.

Does Tweakables Everything allow disabling RCS on specific parts in the VAB, and does RCS build aid respect it?

I assume so, but I don't use that mod.

Edited by m4v

I can add that to ModuleRCSFX, thus saving you headache m4v. :)

(and toadicus can add it to TweakableEverything for the stock-RCS-module users).

Consider this closed, assuming RCS Build Aid does check if the RCS is enabled before gettings its thrust transforms/thrust.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There seems to be a major issue with the RealFuels mod and RCS Build aid. Any tank without a basemass in its MFT node will after being saved and reloaded have the wrong wet mass reported from RCS Build aid. I haven't really found the correlation of the mass it reports. The issue lies with RCS Build aid. There are no errors in the log or anything like that just RCS build aid report wrong numbers. I hope this can be fixed as I wondered for so long why my perfectly balanced planed would have now suddenly have torque after being reloaded.

Steps rep to repro.

1. Build a new craft. I used mk1 pod.

2. Attach any tank without a basemass in the MFT cfg file for the part

3. Open UI an add any fuel to the tank. Must be above 0L

4 Examine RCSBA reported masses in vessel mass window

5. Save and reload craft.

6. Repeat step 4.

mech jeb and the engineer report get it right consistently just RCSBA getting strange numbers. Using latest releases of applicable mods.

Edited by Svm420

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.