[1.11.x] RCS Build Aid v1.0.6

m4v

Not possible, RCSBuildAid isn't stage aware and I'm not sure how to do that. You will have to remove the parts that you don't want or play with the fuel sliders like NathanKell pointed.

If you ever figure it out, I'll find a firstborn for you. I can't play without this Addon, but this is my one annoyance with it. Having to rip the vehicle apart to get the proper values is a real pain.

Not possible, RCSBuildAid isn't stage aware and I'm not sure how to do that. You will have to remove the parts that you don't want or play with the fuel sliders like NathanKell pointed.

The trouble is that I'd have to fill the ascent stage with some other fuel (that I can tell RCS to ignore) and get it back to the exact same mass before attaching the landing stage and getting the balance correct. And this totally falls apart if I have to do some quick iterations that involve the ascent stage. :(

Maybe if there were "ignore fuel in all tanks in stage X" checkboxes...

I can't play without this Addon
For anyone that shares this sentiment and in the event that the upcoming update breaks RCSBA be ready to play 0.24 without it or to stick with 0.23.5 for a while. I have never been able to quickly follow KSP updates and this time around is not going to be different, I haven't had the time to play KSP or code for months now.
Maybe if there were "ignore fuel in all tanks in stage X" checkboxes...
You will have to put up with removing the fuel from those tanks. Implementing what you're asking is a bother, ignoring the GUI work, KSP doesn't have a nice way of telling me in which stage is each part, just a bunch of indexes that are confusing and I can't be bothered to figure them out. Edited by m4v

All you need to do is right-click on the tanks of the descent stage and set them to zeroes. That will simulate the descent stage being dry for the purposes of RCS Build Aid.

That makes sense. It'll do in a pinch.

For anyone that shares this sentiment and in the event that the upcoming update breaks RCSBA be ready to play 0.24 without it or to stick with 0.23.5 for a while. I have never been able to quickly follow KSP updates and this time around is not going to be different, I haven't had the time to play KSP or code for months now.

If you simply MUST have it, I bet you could build ships in 0.23.5 using RCBA and then copy them to your 0.24 save.

Though playing 64 bit 0.24, loading craft that were made in 32 bit 0.23.5 could cause even more problems...

By the way, I've noticed that the setting for ACoM doesn't seem to stick.. it toggles itself off every time the VAB is re-entered...

Though playing 64 bit 0.24, loading craft that were made in 32 bit 0.23.5 could cause even more problems...

Wait, there's save file differences for the 64-bit edition? I haven't done much mucking around in save files, but I have done a bit, and I didn't see anything that looked uh, fixed width..?

In the old 64 bit thread, many (including myself) had problems loading craft built in 32 bit KSP. I'm no expert in the matter, but from what I gleaned from the smarter people talking the irrational numbers involved when you place parts with rotations are not precise enough for 64 bit and your ships are constantly being held together in an incorrect state for 64 bit.

Could be hand waving. Could be flat out malarkey. Sounded good to me and my game was more stable when I didn't use 32-bit-made ships. Not stable enough to use the tester for 64 bit KSP, but I could actually get those ships into orbit before the game crashed.

m4v, any chance of a lite version of this mod. I loved the older version where you could just press space and it'd just did what it needed to do: show you where to place your RCS. The current version just feels too complex for me, with the toolbar and the readouts.

In the old 64 bit thread, many (including myself) had problems loading craft built in 32 bit KSP. I'm no expert in the matter, but from what I gleaned from the smarter people talking the irrational numbers involved when you place parts with rotations are not precise enough for 64 bit and your ships are constantly being held together in an incorrect state for 64 bit.

Could be hand waving. Could be flat out malarkey. Sounded good to me and my game was more stable when I didn't use 32-bit-made ships. Not stable enough to use the tester for 64 bit KSP, but I could actually get those ships into orbit before the game crashed.

I don't see how 64 bits could change anything, and I have been using both binaries in linux without that kind of problem. Numbers in craft files are saved as floats (the format doesn't support doubles) so either way they always have the same precision.

By the way, I've noticed that the setting for ACoM doesn't seem to stick.. it toggles itself off every time the VAB is re-entered...
It will be fixed in the next release, whenever that will be.
m4v, any chance of a lite version of this mod. I loved the older version where you could just press space and it'd just did what it needed to do: show you where to place your RCS. The current version just feels too complex for me, with the toolbar and the readouts.
Not sure, I don't want to maintain two versions, but you can remove RCSBuildAidToolbar.dll for disable the toolbar (then enabling the CoM enables the plugin), and the "nhjkli" keys do what the spacebar did before. You can't disable the window, but can I code it so it remembers when you "minimize" it so you only see the title bar every time.

I asked around and ModuleRCS was updated for support the new vernier RCS. So is likely that RCSBA will break in 0.24 and I don't think I will be touching KSP until August, sorry.

I don't see how 64 bits could change anything, and I have been using both binaries in linux without that kind of problem. Numbers in craft files are saved as floats (the format doesn't support doubles) so either way they always have the same precision.

KSP is in single precision? Or is that just the save format?

Either way, I'm scared... hold me! :S

It will be fixed in the next release, whenever that will be.

Excellent, thank you very much! I've gotten a lot of mileage out of RCSBuildAid, both for the RCS and Engine parts.

All I know is my 32-bit-made rockets exploded on launch. My 64-bit-made rockets reached orbit and then KSP crashed.

Well, one thing I read is that some aspects of KSP rely on the repeating nature of pseudorandom numbers. However, the actual call used has a different underlying algorithm on different platforms, resulting in different sequences.

The thing I read mostly had to do with the shape of asteroids and OSX vs Win32 though, so it may not be the cause of your exploding rockets. (Also I'm having trouble imagining what a fixed sequence would be used for in a ship.. it's not 'randomly' generated like an asteroid...).

KSP is in single precision? Or is that just the save format?
Is a file format thing, is not important though, single precision is enough and 32bits can handle doubles anyway.
just tested a buit and seems to work on 64bit and 32 bit :3

Glad to heard that :D

Fine for me [64 bit]. For some reason, updating KSP to .24 also made the toolbar icon appear again (it was functioning, just displaying a blank square instead of the circle and arrow).

Crashes my 64bit game for me.

I don't know what could it be, a crash is usually a problem with KSP or Unity, not with a mod.

Fine for me [64 bit]. For some reason, updating KSP to .24 also made the toolbar icon appear again (it was functioning, just displaying a blank square instead of the circle and arrow).

Something wrong with the path of the png file I guess.

I'm building a small RCS powered flying machine for the Mun to hold one Kerbal. Everything works fine, except I'm getting a constant RCS thrust in one vector. I've got a pretty large mod load, so it may not be in this mod, but I thought this was a good place to start. Does anyone know how to track down my problem?

I'm building a small RCS powered flying machine for the Mun to hold one Kerbal. Everything works fine, except I'm getting a constant RCS thrust in one vector. I've got a pretty large mod load, so it may not be in this mod, but I thought this was a good place to start. Does anyone know how to track down my problem?

You mean you see a random vector in the editor that shouldn't be? or that there's a weird force pushing your craft while in flight?

You mean you see a random vector in the editor that shouldn't be? or that there's a weird force pushing your craft while in flight?

RCS thrusters are engaging for some reason, but not all the time. My vectors are fine in the balancer, but as soon as I engage RCS (sometimes) I get a small thrust in one direction that won't stop.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.