[1.11.x] RCS Build Aid v1.0.6

m4v

I seem to still have some issues.

I am kind of a noob when it comes to KSP mods, so.....

I deleted the RCSBuildAid folder in the Gamadata folder.

I then downloaded the BuildAid 5.1 file from this thread.

I extracted it into my Gamedata folder.

In game the BuildAid icon is greyed out in the blizzy toolbar.

When I press the BuildAid icon two separate BuildAid windows show up. They are linked (what I choose in one also happens in the other).

When I select Translation, for example, the BuildAid window is just grey, and I can see the Translation header interlinked with the BuildAid header.....no indications show up on the ship I am currently building.

Any advise from the community?

When I press the BuildAid icon two separate BuildAid windows show up.

That can only happen if you have two RCSBuildAid.dll files somewhere in the gamedata folder, you probably dropped another RCSBuildAid copy and you didn't realise, like inside a different plugin folder.

When I select Translation, for example, the BuildAid window is just grey, and I can see the Translation header interlinked with the BuildAid header.....no indications show up on the ship I am currently building.

maybe you didn't add any RCS thrusters? Edited by m4v

That can only happen if you have two RCSBuildAid.dll files somewhere in the gamedata folder, you probably dropped another RCSBuildAid copy and you didn't realise, like inside a different plugin folder.

Thanks. I'll go do some investigation

maybe you didn't add any RCS thrusters?

:) No, I added RCS thrusters.

Thank you for your help, m4v.

A version of RCSBuildAid had been installed directly into the root folder, due to my incompetence during a previous installation attempt. :)

Without your directions to look for a second install I wouldn't have solved this.

Everything is working fine now.

My apologies if there is a setting for this that I have not found, but is it possible to reënable the display when in Action Editor mode? People who use MFT or RF or RealChute or any other mod that displays its (mass-changing) GUI when in action mode would really appreciate it (like meeeee!) :)

"RCSBuildAid "fixes" this, treating landing gear and a few other parts as massless so at least what you see in the editor is consistent with what you see in flight."

Will this respect MM configs to re-enable physics for some of those parts?

My apologies if there is a setting for this that I have not found, but is it possible to reënable the display when in Action Editor mode? People who use MFT or RF or RealChute or any other mod that displays its (mass-changing) GUI when in action mode would really appreciate it (like meeeee!) :)
Nope, there isn't, I'll see of adding a setting for that.
"RCSBuildAid "fixes" this, treating landing gear and a few other parts as massless so at least what you see in the editor is consistent with what you see in flight."

Will this respect MM configs to re-enable physics for some of those parts?

yes, although I believe .25 removed the hack that made landing gears massless by code (and not by .cfg) so probably the CoM fix of RCSBA is less relevant now.

new version is up, nothing terribly noteworthy, perhaps the KW solid booster fix (but I had that bug since forever and nobody noticed until much later :P)

Version 0.5.2
-------------

* Add Application Launcher button.
* Fix engines with minimal thrust different than zero (KW solid rockets).
* Add celestial body selection list for get TWR readings for places other than Kerbin.
* Add settings menu.

My apologies if there is a setting for this that I have not found, but is it possible to reënable the display when in Action Editor mode?

now you should find the option in the new settings menu (little "s" button in the title bar)

new version is up, nothing terribly noteworthy, perhaps the KW solid booster fix (but I had that bug since forever and nobody noticed until much later :P)

Version 0.5.2
-------------

* Add Application Launcher button.
* Fix engines with minimal thrust different than zero (KW solid rockets).
* Add celestial body selection list for get TWR readings for places other than Kerbin.
* Add settings menu.

now you should find the option in the new settings menu (little "s" button in the title bar)

I will update it right away this evening.

For some reason I have two icons for this in the VAB (in the stock bar) instead of one. If either or both of them is on then the window is visible.

Doesn't happen to me. Does the problem persist if you go back to the main menu or restart the game? Actually it did happen to me once that I ended with two buttons, but I could never reproduce it again and I disregarded it as KSP having a hiccup or something.

Edited by m4v

Doesn't happen to me. Does the problem persist if you go back to the main menu or restart the game? Actually it did happen to me once that I ended with two buttons, but I could never reproduce it again and I disregarded it as KSP having a hiccup or something.

Eh... I went to check and now it's not doing it anymore. If I see it again I'll try to grab the log file.

By chance I found how to reproduce the double applauncher icon bug, happens when you go to the settings menu from the main menu. Still I'm not sure what is going on.

Edited by m4v

Hi! Excellent mod which I'll try the next time I have a chance of playing me some KSP!

I have a question, though. I see that it's possible to change the size of the CoM-ball (genious feature, btw) - but while in engine/thrust-mode, is it possible to change the length of the direction indicators? More specifically, I'm trying to build a space shuttle, and from what I gather, to be able to steer it when you drop the boosters, your thrust vector needs to pass through CoM, like this: d2e99db7-0321-4b6b-8d3b-e880d275121b.jpeg. To be able to see this visually, the indicator for the opposing force will most probably have to be quite long.

I very well could be a dummy, but... if I /only/ see the green arrow, is that good? Or is the red circular torque arrow good as well? It's also 23:59... so yea. Thanks for help in advance!

Depends of what you're trying to do, if you're in the translation or engine mode, having torque is not convenient. There's more explanation about the vector's meaning in the readme.

More specifically, I'm trying to build a space shuttle, and from what I gather, to be able to steer it when you drop the boosters, your thrust vector needs to pass through CoM (...). To be able to see this visually, the indicator for the opposing force will most probably have to be quite long.

What you want is to cancel all torque, if there's none then the thrust vector if going through the CoM. You might have to remove some fuel or remove the boosters in order to get the CoM were it would be.

What you want is to cancel all torque, if there's none then the thrust vector if going through the CoM. You might have to remove some fuel or remove the boosters in order to get the CoM were it would be.

Oh yeah, I didn't concider the feature that shows torque. In any case, this is excellent, thank you!

I think I'm gonna overhaul my Orion-ship as well, its RCS thrusters are throwing it off a bit.

Cheers!

Hi m4v,

First of all, thank you very much for your mod, it's a must in all my installations. I had an small issue with the mod since it created an empty settings.cfg file in it's folder, which was making KSP unable to start. Solved just deleting them. I can't tell you how it happened because I was using the game normally and I've been using the mod for long time, so just for your information. The threath about the issue is here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/99105-Empty-part-config-file?p=1521218#post1521218

Kind regards

Hi m4v, i have a feature request for you:

Just like the small blue thrust arrows on RCS thrusters, could you draw a small lift arrow on each lifting surface? It would work like the CoL indicator, and show the contribution (point of attack, direction and magnitude) of each wing/control surface to the total lift. You could also add the torque that the total lift force applies to the craft, just like you already do for engine thrust. This would be highly useful to recognize hidden things like

* wings giving no lift because they are placed sideways

* wing pieces applying their lift force at unexpected positions (e.g. at the root of a wing instead of the center)

* differences between wings and control surfaces

* parts giving an unexpected amount of lift (much more or less than their visible mesh would suggest)

Any chance of such a 'lift mode' in RCS build aid?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.