[1.11.x] RCS Build Aid v1.0.6

m4v

I cannot reproduce it, but check if the CoM visibility toggle is enabled in the Mass tab, if it's on then the CoM should be visible while the plugin is enabled. If you still get that issue then can you give me a step-by-step guide (from the moment you enter the VAB) so I can try to reproduce from my end?

Well I wasn't aware of that conflict, and after looking in UbioZur's thread is kind of bizarre since RCSBuildAid doesn't touch the vessel name text field.

Oh yes, the CoM marker is visible when I activate the tool using the toolbar button, but if I press a translation key nothing happens. No blue arrows, no data in the window indicating the amount of thrust or torque, just all zeros. But like I said, it DOES work normally if I enable the 'regular' CoM marker. I just thought of something. Could the Toolbar version have reverted to requiring one to use the 'HIJKKN' keys for translation? I've mapped my translation controls to totally different buttons because I use a Logitech game pad. Anyway, just an idea.

About the conflict, I agree that it's weird, lol, all I can tell you is that it happens. I don't know, maybe it's a specific combination of mods, I mean more than just the two. All I know is that the debug log was spammed with these two mods going back and forth with each other about 'EditorLogic.lock/unlock', or words to that effect. Maybe this weekend I'll reinstall the welding plugin and then I can generate a log file for you. :)

Oh yes, the CoM marker is visible when I activate the tool using the toolbar button, but if I press a translation key nothing happens. No blue arrows, no data in the window indicating the amount of thrust or torque, just all zeros. But like I said, it DOES work normally if I enable the 'regular' CoM marker. I just thought of something. Could the Toolbar version have reverted to requiring one to use the 'HIJKKN' keys for translation? I've mapped my translation controls to totally different buttons because I use a Logitech game pad. Anyway, just an idea.
No, the keys aren't hardcoded and should work, but I'll try rebinding mine to something else (later though, sleep time)

About the conflict, I agree that it's weird, lol, all I can tell you is that it happens. I don't know, maybe it's a specific combination of mods, I mean more than just the two. All I know is that the debug log was spammed with these two mods going back and forth with each other about 'EditorLogic.lock/unlock', or words to that effect. Maybe this weekend I'll reinstall the welding plugin and then I can generate a log file for you. :)

The spamming in the log means that the plugin wasn't fixed for KSP .23 yet, EditorLogic.lock changed in last release. In any case, I did give a quick look to UbioZur's code and his windows don't have unique IDs (they have to be unique within the scene, not the mod), maybe that's the source of the disappearing text field. Edited by m4v

Ugh. Alright, disregard my previous posts about any problems, I've figured out that the only 'problem' I'm having with RCS information not appearing is with BobCat's American Pack CSM. It has built-in RCS thrusters that this plugin seems unable to read, but if I slap any other RCS blocs on there, they show up just fine, so the problem is obviously with THAT mod and not this one, so we're all fine, everything's fine here... How are you? :)

Ugh. Alright, disregard my previous posts about any problems, I've figured out that the only 'problem' I'm having with RCS information not appearing is with BobCat's American Pack CSM. It has built-in RCS thrusters that this plugin seems unable to read, but if I slap any other RCS blocs on there, they show up just fine, so the problem is obviously with THAT mod and not this one, so we're all fine, everything's fine here... How are you? :)

This pack? Bobcat uses stock's ModuleRCS so it should work, otherwise you would get a "there's no RCS thrusters" message when my plugin can't find any. I did download the pack and works fine here, however I did notice that with the Altair pod, you get no readings while in rotation mode (translation mode works just fine, which mode were you using?) and if you do launch the pod alone, effectively you see that you can't do any attitude control with the pod (after toggling off the reaction wheels, all the RCS get funny and fire at the same time). This is likely because the pod and the RCS blocks, being all a single part, confuses the algorithm because it thinks that all RCSs and the module are all located in the same spatial point, and without any lever arm you can't get any torque. The simpler solution I can think of is for bobcat to remove RCSs from the pod and put them in a separate part, you'll have to place RCS manually but that way the game can get a lever arm.

Is this what you have been seeing? Indeed not a problem with RCSBuildAid but an issue with how the game works :)

This pack? Bobcat uses stock's ModuleRCS so it should work, otherwise you would get a "there's no RCS thrusters" message when my plugin can't find any. I did download the pack and works fine here, however I did notice that with the Altair pod, you get no readings while in rotation mode (translation mode works just fine, which mode were you using?) and if you do launch the pod alone, effectively you see that you can't do any attitude control with the pod (after toggling off the reaction wheels, all the RCS get funny and fire at the same time). This is likely because the pod and the RCS blocks, being all a single part, confuses the algorithm because it thinks that all RCSs and the module are all located in the same spatial point, and without any lever arm you can't get any torque. The simpler solution I can think of is for bobcat to remove RCSs from the pod and put them in a separate part, you'll have to place RCS manually but that way the game can get a lever arm.

Is this what you have been seeing? Indeed not a problem with RCSBuildAid but an issue with how the game works :)

Yep, that one. I've actually been having a lot of problems with it lately. The RCS thing, the parachute/docking port part, other things. I only want the Orion capsule and related parts, so I don't have any of the Altair stuff installed. At one point I did have all of it installed, and flew a successful Mun mission with it. But then I got rid of most of it due to memory limitations. Now, ever since I've been trying to reinstall it, I've been having problems. I need to check a few more things this weekend, fiddle with it some more before I totally give up, though. Honestly, I may have borked something in the Orion pod when editing the config, so my first step is to re-download what I know is the latest version of the entire mod, and start from scratch with that. Anyway...

Thanks for the support, m4v. :) I'll think about the Dropbox thing.

Later. :)

This mod helped me really much! It took me ages to adjust rcs and thruster places before!

Since it is a similar topic: I'm constructing a large interplanetary spacecraft in orbit by docking. What I'm missing here would be a possibility to show the current COG of the currently assembled ship to see where I need to attach stuff to get it stable.

Would something like this be possible to add for your mod / or does there already exist something like that which I just didn't find yet?

What I'm missing here would be a possibility to show the current COG of the currently assembled ship to see where I need to attach stuff to get it stable.

Would something like this be possible to add for your mod / or does there already exist something like that which I just didn't find yet?

I don't know what is the CoG, explain?

Yes, sorry. Center of Mass makes more sense for spacecraft :)

Edit:

And another question/suggestion. I'm using TeakableEverything where I can adjust the thrust limits for RCS in the VBA. The RCS Build Aid does not respond to changing those thrust limits. Would it be theoretically possible to take this influence into account?

Edited by Styrr

Yes, sorry. Center of Mass makes more sense for spacecraft :)
Then I don't understand, the yellow marker shows the center of mass of your vessel, what is the issue with it?

And another question/suggestion. I'm using TeakableEverything where I can adjust the thrust limits for RCS in the VBA. The RCS Build Aid does not respond to changing those thrust limits. Would it be theoretically possible to take this influence into account?

Yes, it should be possible. Although I'm not working in the plugin at the moment, I'll add it to the TODO list.

Then I don't understand, the yellow marker shows the center of mass of your vessel, what is the issue with it?

Maybe it's already possible and I just can't figure out how to do it. But when I'm not in VAB but in space with my ship, I can't figure out how to show the Centre of Mass marker.

Maybe it's already possible and I just can't figure out how to do it. But when I'm not in VAB but in space with my ship, I can't figure out how to show the Centre of Mass marker.

AH you meant while in flight, I thought all this was while in the editor. That is something that other people asked for before and I'm not going to implement, because anything that happens outside of the VAB/SPH is outside of the scope of this plugin.

Feature request: compatibility with FTmN series Nuclear Rockets. For some reason no torgue/thrust is shown when using this mod.

Update: when there is already a stock/compatible engine attached, adding one of those modded engines works correctly. Quite strange, will test further.

Edited by Mystique

Version 0.4.4
-------------

* ACoM marker, average center of mass.
* Support for engines using ModuleEnginesFX.
* Pick extra RCS parameters that mods might make tweakables.
* Reverted change that made arrows solid.

FTmN rockets should work now.

Thx. It seems to be possible with the fuel balancer mod: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/42624-0-23-PWB-Fuel-Balancer-v0-0-5

@m4v: Sure. Makes sense to keep that separated.

As it happens, I am doing some modding work at the moment, and one of my plans it to give the PWB Fuel Balancing mod a birthday. In particular I want to get it to:

1) also display the CoT and CoL while in flight,

2) Allow the user to move the required CoM position while in flight via a GUI

3) Get the balancer to play nicely with this mod (RCS Build Aid) to set the required CoM position to either the CoM, ACoM or DCoM as calculated by this mod.

Just wanted to say two things:

1) Thanks for this mod

2) What are .asciidoc files? That is a non-standard file extension AFAIK (I have used mac/lin/win on a daily basis for years), and KSP is a multi-platform game, so sticking to using well-established standards - .txt or .rtf would be more appropriate perhaps?

I'd like to second what Coda said. I've never been able to read any of the 'readme' documents that come with this mod. I don't think I've been missing out on anything, and it seems to work fine just as I've installed it, but it would still be nice to read what the author of the mod has to say regarding instructions and whatnot. :)

Again, though, thank you for this most awesomely useful mod, m4v. I really don't think I'd be able to play this game anymore if I couldn't use RCSBuildAid. Many MANY thanks!! :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.